• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Strangest/oddest finds at inspection time???

Yes, fuel line from under the floor.of a 185. Main supply line to the fuel selector. The factory installed PVC tubing prevented it from leaking.

Once found a scaffolding plank, about 2” X 10” x 12’ behind the rear spar of a 747.

At a big ultralight fly-in in Gimli Manitoba I flew to (1500 miles I think it was, Pterodactyl 2 stroke UL, no windshield,no heat, no radio,no nothing) and competed in back in the early '80's (won $1,000.00, then met TWO real friendly French-Canadian ladies, but I digress) the last day at the pilot's briefing, there was an announcement that someone had stole the windsock the night before. An opportunity was given to the guilty party to confess, no one did, so the briefing continued. The competition was held, part of which was, given one quart of fuel, who could stay up the longest, that was fun and really showed the most efficient designs plus pilot skill. After the big blow out that night, where I partied with my new north of the border friends, the following morning I started to pack up my camping gear. The 'Dac had a double surface dacron wing with formed ribs, and zippers for access to the folding compression struts, making it a rigid wing that also folded for car top transportation like a hang glider. We XC 'Dac pilots would stow our gear up inside the wing, clothing, sleeping bag, stuff like that. A common practice was to slip a roll of toilet paper onto one of the comp struts, and when needed, land, unzip the wing by that strut, squat down under the wing and take care of business, and there was your paper, it was real handy. Anyway...as I was packing, I unzipped (there was 4 strut zippers, and a 32' span, so lot's of room up there) one of the wing panels and there was the missing wind sock! My Canuck buddies had put it there, I had flown the competition that last day with it there, and still kicked their butts. They of course were all standing there watching me discover this, and we all had a good laugh. Canadian humor, gotta love it.

High Time Cub spent 30 years at Zahns Airport on Long Island. HTC introduced thousands of new pilots (15,000 hours worth) to the joys of Cub-flying through the GI bill. When I rebuilt HTC in 1978, I found both control stick “ashtrays" jam-packed top to bottom with a midden of cigarette butts, burnt matches, ash, and depleted matchbooks.

HT

Attachments

• Zahns matchbook.jpeg
    Zahns matchbook.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Matchbook cover.jpeg
    Matchbook cover.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 184
I found both control stick “ashtrays" jam-packed top to bottom with a midden of cigarette butts, burnt matches, ash, and depleted matchbooks.

HT

Ahh the old glory days when smoking was safe and sex was dangerous.

My next door neighbor Glenn Wyatt was doing an inspection on a brand new Cessna 185, it had ferry time only on it. In the right outboard wing was a rivet gun and bucking bars courtesy of Cessna Aircraft. Must have been a Friday afternoon job.

I did a prebuy on a Bonanza one time with "no damage history" and pulled a bucking bar out of the leading edge, and I'm pretty sure it hadn't been there from day one!
John

20211002_153926.jpg

Being in Alaska, mice don't too often cross my radar. Pulled the hub caps and found their stash.

Attachments

• 20211002_153926.jpg
    20211002_153926.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 113
I get that all the time in the grass with hubcaps. I've thought about plugging the inside of the axle, but it would just become a corrosion trap.

I was thinking tall grass at first. However, judging by the tach time, I have been the only one to fly dad's Cub in the last couple of years. Mowed strip to gravel and back. Perhaps he had been sneaking out to the duck flats and just telling me he was only driving.

I was thinking tall grass at first. However, judging by the tach time, I have been the only one to fly dad's Cub in the last couple of years. Mowed strip to gravel and back. Perhaps he had been sneaking out to the duck flats and just telling me he was only driving.
Looks like the little seed pods we get on all our grass this time of year.

Back