Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strangest/oddest finds at inspection time???

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffair
    Back in the 80's a friend of mine had been hauling fish from camps on the Yukon River and flying them to Fairbanks.
    After the season, he got to digging around behind the back seat and found
    a big ol' King Salmon that had been back there for some time... he said when he grabbed the tail to pull it out, it came apart, maggots all over.... and STINK.....

He and his wife stopped by one day while he was hauling fish, and you could hardly see his wife in the back seat for all the fish slime on the windows.... ah the good ol days......
    and after you clean the slime and it still stinks bad...... wash with vanilla extract in water.... thats what we did with the 185's.....

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="mike mcs repair"]
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiCub
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbaldguy
    Scariest thing ever found at annual was a badly corroded spar slice angle. The rivet tails popped off when the mechanic brushed them with his fingers. See pictures here: http://www.mosquitonet.com/~wanderer.../corrosion.htm
    Phil
    those broken rivets look like the ones holding the weights to cessna ailerons, first guy I worked with would always use his hand and a screw driver and bump the heads on the rivets holding weights on,

quite a few were nothing but rivet shaped corrosion...under nice paint!!
    Yeah, we've replaced a couple of those too.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    My friend Gary had an old PA-12 (they called it "rag bag"). 17 years ago he took his gold ring off to prop the thing at the lake. Well, needless to say the ring disappeared. Last May he got a call from some guys recovering the airplane in Montana. "did you loose a gold ring with a K on it?" It was in the belly the whole time. They sent it back and he gave it to one of his sons.

Post Thanks / Like

yikes

purchased a champ that was just rebuilt and on floats for about 20hrs well I was taking lessons in it so the guy I got it from and I went to put it on wheels I guess the shop he had put the floats on didnt think it needed nuts on the rear upper float strut bolts..

Post Thanks / Like
    Newest findings.

Cessna C-180. Fuel smell from the passenger side. Upon investigating, found a piece of clear nylon tube cut length wise, wrapped around the fuel line, and clamped on with two worm clamps within the rear door post. The tubing was blue in this area. After draining the fuel and removing the clear tube, found a perfect 3/32 hole in the fuel line which coincidentally matched perfectly with a screw holding the interior door seal on. You could even see where the drill bit started to cut on the back wall of the fuel line. I have that chunk of line to show people what not to do when installing interior panels and seals.

Cessna C-180. Right Rudder cable to tail wheel steering bracket broken and only about 3 or 4 rivets holding it in place. The bracket moved a good 1/2 inch when operating the right rudder. Repaired the system and the owner remarked that the aircraft handled much better on the ground.

M5-210C Maule. Found a 1/2 inch wrench laying on the top of the belly fabric directly under the flap handle and trim system. Probably would not have done anything, but a good hard bump may have lodged it into the flap mechanism.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    A bit off topic but I did see a couple of guys painting a cub on a cold(40s), windy fall day with foam brushes and latex house paint. It looked about what you might expect when done.
    pete

Post Thanks / Like
    In the late 60's, my father bought a surplus 182 from the Border Patrol. I was instructed to pull all of the interior, as he had ordered a full Airtex interior. In the belly, I found about half a box of loose, unspent .357 mag rounds. Can't imagine what would have happened if something had hit one hard on the primer.

The airplane also had a patch on the left wing, about 1" outboard of the fuel tank. A wetback on a horse had shot at the airplane with a Marlin 30/30. The Border Patrol Agent got his though, when he flew the airplane into the wetback, killing him and his horse. You really didn't want to mess with those guys back then. And to think...... Ramos and Campos went to prison for inflicting a flesh wound on a fleeing drug runner!
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Reviving an oldie. Found this Friday. Flaps seemed to operate just fine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flap cable.jpg 
Views:	1501 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	47734

Name:	flap cable 2.jpg 
Views:	1506 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	47736
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks Coulee Clipper thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, that's one way to take the slack out of a cable . Looks like a factory single crimp on the sleeve.

Thanks. cubscout

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to my world, Mr. Pierce. That's one of my ongoing nightmares.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Once found the aileron cables wrapped around the fuel line after repairs on a 185.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubus Maximus View Post
    My friend Gary had an old PA-12 (they called it "rag bag"). 17 years ago he took his gold ring off to prop the thing at the lake. Well, needless to say the ring disappeared. Last May he got a call from some guys recovering the airplane in Montana. "did you loose a gold ring with a K on it?" It was in the belly the whole time. They sent it back and he gave it to one of his sons.
    That was me, after the mess of a plane Gary sold me I'm surprised I actually sent that ring back. The bird was basically condemned at its first annual. I found the ring as I was doing a total rebuild on it.
    Staying alive in an airplane has a lot more to do with mastering ourselves than mastering the aircraft.
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Otter
    During conversion to civilian status, firewall template called out replacing some rivets, but specifically exempting one. Mechanics drilled it out anyway and went right through one of the control cables on the cabin side.

Cub
    Did an annual about a year after a rebuild on a green cub. Found green paint on un-nutted gear bolts (plural). Friend called it structural paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Steve at least they didn't have the seat frame tied in with a rope.
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 03-23-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Thanks Coulee Clipper thanked for this post
    Likes JOB15, barrow pilot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I once flew a pressurized Cessna 337 (hated that airplane) that my company purchased new from Cessna. Occasionally would have trouble opening the entrance door. After several embarrassing instances where I couldn't open the door to let my passengers out I had our mechanic take the door apart. He found a 6 inch long screwdriver that had obviously been left in the door at the factory.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	20191109_170050.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	47766

Local avionics shop has been hacking up airplanes. Look closely at the screw with a black nut on it.
    Last edited by behindpropellers; 03-23-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found behind the panel on co-pilot side.

Name:	17F1CB9D-7CCC-4EEB-8641-B044866E3E42.jpeg 
Views:	192 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	47767
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"
    Likes mike mcs repair, windy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    Found behind the panel on co-pilot side.

Name:	17F1CB9D-7CCC-4EEB-8641-B044866E3E42.jpeg 
Views:	192 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	47767
    Ahh now I see why you claim it is the lite 180.

Post Thanks / Like
    Might have posted this before. On the rebuild we found a lost screwdriver bit .......

Name:	G-BTBU_Piston 001.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	47768

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by behindpropellers View Post

Name:	20191109_170050.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	47766

Local avionics shop has been hacking up airplanes. Look closely at the screw with a black nut on it.
    And your radio trays are held in with PK screws and tinnermans.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    And your radio trays are held in with PK screws and tinnermans.

Web
    I think those are Tinnerman nuts for machine screws. The avionics shop that put this in should have their repair station license removed.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope they are the style for PK screws. they may have installed machine screws into them though.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    Nope they are the style for PK screws. they may have installed machine screws into them though.

Web
    Nope. Tinnerman makes them for both PK & machine screws: https://www.mcmaster.com/94808a105

I did not install these.
    Likes mike mcs repair, Bill.Brine liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I once found a fuel line in a 185 split for about 1 inch. It was in the belly, going to the fuel selector. It had obviously had water in it and frozen at some point. The aluminum line had clear PVC installed from the factory on the part of the tube that had split,. Weird thing was it had not leaked a drop. Still have the split line in my show and tell box.
    An AME I used to work with new a guy that new a guy. They found an unexploded grenade wired inside a Beaver wing. It was tied to the aileron bell crank or pushrod and was old and rusty. It was a converted military beaver. The grenade had been riding around in the wing for years.
    i know another AME that was doing an inspection on a 182. The bolt on the top lift strut had no nut on it. It had the original Cessna witness mark paint on the threads. The aircraft was around 10 years old and had obviously come out of the factory and through many inspections with no nut.

Post Thanks / Like
    A buddy has a huge bucking bar found inside a wing that ridden there for 20+ years. During the prebuy on an Ag Cat I reached into the belly to check the wing attach points, one of the only significant airframe AD’s, and put my hands through the bottom of the rusted tube cluster. The dealer had just flown it 5 hours home.

Post Thanks / Like
    I toured the Beech factory in 2000. A King Air was just coming off the production line. A workman with a heavy rubber truncheon was beating the crap out of the bottom of the wings. Our guide said he was listening for loose tools, rivets, and other debris.
    Thanks Mander thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In the 1980 a Crew Chief found a 51 Chi-com nose in the tail boom of a Mike Gun Ship I was flying. There were several bullet hole patches walking up the tail but this bird had to be back here 15 years or more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by behindpropellers View Post
    Nope. Tinnerman makes them for both PK & machine screws: https://www.mcmaster.com/94808a105

I did not install these.
    Believe what you want. That style is for PK screws. The style for machine screws has a small tapped bushing to receive the machine screw.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Help-4.../dp/B000CO7A0C This is the style for machine screws.

Web
    Last edited by wireweinie; 03-24-2020 at 12:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are reminding me why I have felt so comfortable and stress free after stopping working on other people's airplanes. I too have seen all of the eye openers which you all have posted. It's a dangerous world out there. There are so many airplane owners who just don't understand what the mechanics find. Yes some is mechanic induced, and some is the owners doing things which they shouldn't. And, just because the airplane is new off the production line, it doesn't get a free pass. Just the thoughts of the stories I could tell are giving me a head ache.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the 70’s a guide named Doug Vaden brought his 185 in for an annual and instructed us not to patch the bullet holes in the wing as they were “evidence”. Seems he and his son had some type of dispute over hunting grounds.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of years ago a local shop installed a new engine in a Saratoga, two weeks later we found the 6 foot hoist chain coiled up on top of the engine. Owner said there was a strange noise.
    Likes mike mcs repair, cubdriver2, CharlieN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Two years ago, for a couple weeks I had noticed off and on that my nearly new Gearwrench 1/2" combo wrench wasn't in to the tool box where it should have been. I figured it would turn up eventually. It did, the next time I took the cowl off the S-7S, there it was, just laying on top the engine, having logged over 10 hours of flight time. No one to blame other then the last guy who worked on it (guess who)?!
    Likes mike mcs repair, jwmusgrove, texmex liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Guy that used to do my service work had a DEA transponder hanging on the wall he pulled out of plane he used to service before it was confiscated that is.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes mike mcs repair, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    Two years ago, for a couple weeks I had noticed off and on that my nearly new Gearwrench 1/2" combo wrench wasn't in to the tool box where it should have been. I figured it would turn up eventually. It did, the next time I took the cowl off the S-7S, there it was, just laying on top the engine, having logged over 10 hours of flight time. No one to blame other then the last guy who worked on it (guess who)?!
    I know a guy who did the same thing on his PA-12/150. He pulled the cowl to clean the plugs and found the 3/4" wrench he'd left behind the last time he did the job. What an idiot.......
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found an oil can cut in half and full of cowling screws in an Aztec nacelle panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dug a number of 22 cartridges out of the bilge on my 180.
    Also found a small wrench.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Thanks Bowie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
    I know a guy who did the same thing on his PA-12/150. He pulled the cowl to clean the plugs and found the 3/4" wrench he'd left behind the last time he did the job. What an idiot.......
    He left that wrench there for next time.
    Idiot? I think not-- that's just planning ahead.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes phdigger123, jwmusgrove liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The last time I took my crane to SLC to get some major work done, I got home, 185 miles or away, and only then found the mechanic had left 1/2" impact driver on top the hydraulic tank. Nothing to keep it there other then slow cornering.....it could have fallen off on the interstate and gone through some ones windshield. I sent it back to them, and paid the UPS charges, and never got reimbursed, just 10 bucks or so but that's not the point! I haven't been back there since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
    Do I know him?
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve got a screwdriver that I pulled from the top of an engine in a 177. The last signature in the book was from a guy that went to work for FAA as an inspector. Kept the screwdriver in case he tried to give me grief at a later date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk