• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Slick Magneto Service Bulletin.

Thanks for posting that Steve. A new 100 hour check: sheesh. Wish they'd build them right the first time.

Thanks for the heads up. I installed a factory reman two years ago so I will have a look.

I talked to Joe Logie at Unison this morning. Seems their vendor moved and somehow got contamination in the material they make their cams out of and they have seen abnormal wear in mostly the six cylinder mags. There should be replacement cams later this week as a terminating action. The carbon brushes were failing/wearing at a higher rate than Unison liked so they changed them and the new ones are failing faster than the old ones. The new ones can wear to the point of failure within an hour where the old ones could be caught at a bad mag check. There is no terminating action on them as of yet. Improved carbon brush is at least 6 weeks out.

TCM magnetos are not effected. I am researching all the new Slicks, or new engines with Slicks, I have installed in the effected time period. :eek: No fun.

Steve Pierce said:
TCM magnetos are not effected. I am researching all the new Slicks, or new engines with Slicks, I have installed in the effected time period. :eek: No fun.

That's the best part of our job....research! :drinking:

The Slick SB does not seem distinguish between Cont. and Lyc.....
I put a new 4301 Mag on my Cub about a month ago and got the timing shift after a few hours they are talking about....Looks like I need to pull that mag tonight. :( :( :(
DaveG

An overhaul shop in the US is is shipping a rebuilt O-360 to me in a week or so. It has new 43 series Slick mags.

This is their explanation to the situation:
"Although the magneto S/N's are 08012676 and 08032042...this SB is not applicable as there can be no magneto cam wear ( New Engine, New Mags ) you will have to address this SB at 100 hours or annual."

This means that I will have to remove the magnetos every 100 hrs for inspection? I don't look forward to this.

Or... should I ask them to delay shipping and wait for a permanent correction to the problem?

Any advise appreciated.
Vidir

I would delay shipment. The 100 hr check is simply timing for worn cams. The replacement cams that are terminating action should be out by the end of the week. The brush has to be inspected every 15-20 hours until they reach 50. That is unreasonable to me and they are at least 6 weeks out of a fix. Can you request TCM (Bendix) magnetos?

Steve, thanks for the reply.

I agree this is to much of a handicap accepting the Slicks with such faults.

I will check the options.
By the way, this is Lycon.

Vidir, I have a set of core Slicks I can check the dimensions on the carbon brushes and cams and ship them to Ken.

Steve,
Thank you much for your offer.
I was just replying to an e-mail from Chris at Lycon. They can offer the Bendix upgrade and I'm leaning towards selecting them. He is checking for the price though.

How did they change something as simple as a carbon brush to have such a problem? The glue or whatever holds the carbon together?

Ive called Unison twice today, at each location to see if there are replacement parts, brushes, that terminate this SB. No answer so far does anyone know?
Thanks

Glenn

Glenn, I have a direct line to the guy in the know. It is after hours there now but I left a message and will follow up when they open up in the morning and let you know.

Just received the same call, they told me 3-5 weeks out for terminating replacement parts

Thanks

Due to this post, I asked Superior and my mags on the new engine are affected under these SB's.

Why the two different SB's with 2 different ranges of Serial numbers??
My mags begin with 0608 and are affected under SB 3-08, but not under the serial number range of SB 2-08 from Slick.

I must be missing something which you pro's can explain.

I know this could effect my taking the plane to Osh unless I can get resolution soon, as well as parts. I have 40.2 hours on the engine and will put on 10 more before leaving for Oshkosh with 2 souls on board which I care about very much - mine and my wife's. Help!!!

There are two different problems. The cams and the brushes. Check your timing, if you don't have more than a 4 degree drift you are good. Going from memory and a late night. :eek:

From what I just read in the SB linked above, it's the brushes and coils, not the timing/cam wear, that are in question on Mr. Herzog's magnetos, based on serial numbers. I recently pulled a pair of brushes and coils due to SB 3-08. I don't know the current status of replacements, but it was a challenge a few weeks ago already. Sounds like Airventure will come and go before the brush revisions are available.

If you're experimental, are you still mandated by these MSB's?

Steve P.,
If the manufacturer's instructions require adherence to SB's and the like, and the FAR's require adherence to the manufacturer's instructions, doesn't that make SB's and the like mandatory in a roundabout way? (referring to certified aircraft)
Not to suggest anything unsafe by any means, but an experimental aircraft would not technically be affected by the SB's in question. Of course, explaining that to a wife might prove to be the bigger burden.

Regarding the brush/coil inspection, SB 3-08, here's something from the boss on July 10th
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...be53fe05de862574820060e99b/$FILE/CE-08-33.pdf

tripleoption said:
Steve P.,
If the manufacturer's instructions require adherence to SB's and the like, and the FAR's require adherence to the manufacturer's instructions, doesn't that make SB's and the like mandatory in a roundabout way? (referring to certified aircraft)
Not to suggest anything unsafe by any means, but an experimental aircraft would not technically be affected by the SB's in question. Of course, explaining that to a wife might prove to be the bigger burden.

Regarding the brush/coil inspection, SB 3-08, here's something from the boss on July 10th
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...be53fe05de862574820060e99b/$FILE/CE-08-33.pdf

As you can see from the Boss' letter it states,

The FAA recommends compliance with Unison Industries Service Bulletin SB3-08.......

Hmmm... I replaced my left Slick mag 1.5 years ago and it falls under SB3-08. I have 158 hrs on it so I take it that I do NOT have to inspect it until it has 250 hrs. I had it retimed once last March as it was a little too advanced. So far it has equal drop compared to the much older right Slick mag. I guess at 250 hrs it would be nice to simply replace the brush with one that would terminate the SB since to inspecting it requires removing the mag I think.
Have I read that right?
Jim

Jim:
Yep, you have to remove the mag and split the case to replace the brush. When you remove the mag , sell it to an enemy and buy a Bendix. As you can tell, I'm not impressed with Slick/Case tractor mags. :D

I inspected my right mag today. It looked great. At the time the mag was being broken open, I got a response call from Joe "X' (cant remember last name) at Unison. He was really helpful and took his time explaining the ins and outs of the SB from Unison's standpoint. For example, my serial numbers which began with 0608XXXX were on the fringe of being problematic. Later numbers had a bigger chance of being problems. He felt like if the mags had run to 40 hours without problems and I got no signs of problems at mag check, then I probably didn't have a concern. He had a lot of other comments such as, a very, very small percentage of mags had the problem and those occurred more often on 6 cylinder engines as someone previously noted.

He was so reassuring in my specific case and serial number that I didn't even pull the other mag ( would have been harder that the right one).

He thinks you would get a warning at mag check if there was a problem. Suggested doing a mag check after landing to not have to confront a fix just before the next trip. Said as long as 150 drop max and 50 between all with not roughness, then all should be OK.

He said he would be doing a seminar at 9:00AM on Tues at Oshkosh should anyone want to attend.

Back