• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ferguson Wing Booster

KJC

FRIEND
Clear Lake, MN
I am in the process of rebuilding the wings on my -12 which has Ferguson Wing Boosters STC SW 573 SA. When I took everything apart, nothing was really square on the trailing edge from the aileron out to the tip. The wood piece that is the trailing edge outboard of the aileron wasn't square with the tip and the aileron. Also, the wood but rib doesn't seem to be long enough to square it with the new Dakota Cub ribs. The whole thing was kind mickey moused in there when I took it apart and I won't put it back that way.

1. Does anyone have any first had experience with installing Ferguson Wing Boosters?

2. I assume the trailing edge of the wing from the butt rib, flaps, aileron and wing tip should be a perfectly straight line. Am I correct in this assumption or should the trailing edge from the aileron out to the tip be at at a slight angle like they were when I disassembled them?

3. Cub Crafters ownes the STC now and Vera was nice enough to send me the instructions (thanks again) but they are old and hand drawn and don't mention modifying the aileron to square it up on everything. I want to verify the mech who did the install in 1967 did it correctly before I recover them. Anyone ever seen the drawings or instructions or did they just match them to the tips?

This STC is pretty old and is generic to the -11 -12 -14 -20 and -22. The spars have been modified and I don't want to start with something new (money is a big factor).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Kevin

I agree. I cant seem to figure it out. I may need to get my 14 year old son to help! I posted some in the photo galley, but cant get them to this message-help please.

The problem---ribs and wood tip too short

cid_media1.jpg

The trailing edge between the aileron and the wood end rib was crooked when I took it apart. The Aileron is perfectly straight all the way along the trailing edge.

I think you need to cut that piece of wood again and make it wider.

I see that the outer aileron rib has been cut (shortened). The last (metal) rib outboard would normally would have been a "tip" rib that is smaller than a normal rib. I'm guessing this rib has been replaced with a shortened regular rib too. I'm guessing the easy thing to do is make a new wooden trailing edge piece.

John Scott

Looks like you have a left and right outboard aileron bay rib. The outboard rib is shorter than a standard full length rib. If it was me I would either replace those two ribs with full length ribs or break a piece of aluminum into a wider trailing edge section and slip it over the tips of your ribs to meet the trailing edge of your aileron. If I remember right that is how Sullivan did his outboard trailing edge and the tip of the aileron to square it off.

I don't know anything about the STC but that piece of wood you are holding in the picture sure looks like a piece of base board molding to me! I agree with the suggestion of cutting a new piece. Another option is using a hand plane to dress the edge that goes against the rib and edge glue (laminate) a piece to the inside edge so the trailing edge will line up. With all the woodworking I have done, I would trust a good edge glue joint as being just as strong as the host wood. Use T88 and you should be fine.

Marty57

Steve,

You are correct about having an outboard aileron rib both left and right on this wing. When I took it apart, it looked like that is what was there, so I installed two new ones from Dakota Cub. Now that I have the original instructions, it says "install a full rib P/N12902" I cant find this number anywhere but I know its not a -12 part.

Also, I'm thinking that the DC ribs are a little different. If you look at the end tips of them, there is no cap strip to attach what would normally be the wing tip bow on the top and bottom, just the tab which makes them a little shorter.

Regarding the wood trailing edge piece, its not a piece of molding although it may look that way. I think it is the original piece that came with the kit in 1967. There is a note on the original intall drawings hand written by Mr. Ferguson (I assume) that says "metal has been used". That's all its says.

I am thinking two full length ribs and a sheet metal trailing edge that matches nicely with the aileron. Any thoughts?

Here is what the right wing looked like when I disassembled it...

PA-12_Rebuild_048.jpg

Note the liberal use of duct tape and pop rivets.....and its not square with anything.

I just opened up a pa-11 wing with the same wing mod. Stc- Sa-573-sw. All wood has seen its better days and needs to be replaced. Am i stuck making the wood or does someone have a lead or extra set laying around? Thanks!pa-11.jpgpa-11.jpg

Attachments

• pa-11.jpg
    pa-11.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 220
All wood has seen its better days and needs to be replaced. Am i stuck making the wood or does someone have a lead or extra set laying around? Thanks!

I have a pair I won't be using. Where are you located? Yours for the cost of shipping.

2lbs, 4 oz each and 61.375" front to back. Univair root rib would weigh a lot less.

Wayne

I have a pair I won't be using. Where are you located? Yours for the cost of shipping.

2lbs, 4 oz each and 61.375" front to back. Univair root rib would weigh a lot less.

Wayne

Have done a lot of wing tips on Pacers... On all of them I used a Univair Root rib, .016 aluminum formed trailing edge and always used nut plates on the rib with screws to hold the tip on so it can be removed if needed..

Brian.

Years ago bought some wings with plane booster tips installed. Got STC for $25. Who ever did the install only used 1/2 the bolts and the 3/16 holes were mostly 1/4. Must have been a certified mechanic. Seems I replaced trailing edge with aluminum.

Liked the tips.

Years ago bought some wings with plane booster tips installed. Got STC for $25. Who ever did the install only used 1/2 the bolts and the 3/16 holes were mostly 1/4. Must have been a certified mechanic. Seems I replaced trailing edge with aluminum.

Liked the tips.

Incorrect installation and no STC paperwork? Sounds more like an owner installed modification.

Web

Wayne
Flybynite, I sent you a private message. Id like to see what you have.

Here are the two ribs I have. Looking at the patterns on the ribs, I think they used a folded piece of aluminum for trailing edge.
The plywood is 1/4" thick and the top and bottom chords are 3/8 X 3/4 spruce. The fiberglass tips themselves are long gone.

Wayne

20201109_113937.jpg 20201109_113737.jpg

Attachments

• 20201109_113937.jpg
    20201109_113937.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 20201109_113737.jpg
    20201109_113737.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 177
Here is a link to my FaceBook page of a Sullivan wing tip mod I did on a PA-22/20 a few years back using Univair Stamped ribs and an aluminum Trailing Edge piece I formed up.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=stevesaircraft&set=a.380707780215

The page is public so you should not have to be a member of FaceBook in order to view the pictures. One thing I forgot to take pictures of is the installation of 8/32 plate nuts on the end ribs before I covered the tips.

Brian.

Last edited:
If you ever fly one with the ailerons out to the tips, you will certainly wish you had......
Same problem on 12/18's lots of them rolled up into a ball with extended wings and short ailerons, usually happens on T/O's in nasty Xwinds. Worse off a ridge top.
There has been some very high time pilots
Jump into extended wing Piper's and find out too late this combo can bite you hard.
Story is always the same; they catch a bad gust, roll in full deflection and the plane will continue to roll over passed 90 degrees, catching downwind wing [emoji20] or if your higher , ALOT worse accident.
More lifting area outboard can be a good thing; IF you can manage it. It works fine straight into the wind; but Xwinds become a completely different story in Piper's with short ailerons and extended wings.
Be careful
E

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

If you ever fly one with the ailerons out to the tips, you will certainly wish you had......
Same problem on 12/18's lots of them rolled up into a ball with extended wings and short ailerons, usually happens on T/O's in nasty Xwinds. Worse off a ridge top.
There has been some very high time pilots
Jump into extended wing Piper's and find out too late this combo can bite you hard.
Story is always the same; they catch a bad gust, roll in full deflection and the plane will continue to roll over passed 90 degrees, catching downwind wing [emoji20] or if your higher , ALOT worse accident.
More lifting area outboard can be a good thing; IF you can manage it. It works fine straight into the wind; but Xwinds become a completely different story in Piper's with short ailerons and extended wings.
Be careful
E

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

On the plus side, one of those mods on a Super Cub taught me the value of rudder! I flew that Cub eight years on Kodiak, and you’re absolutely right, they can be “sporty” in a wind, of which there is some on Kodiak. A friend there bought a newly rebuilt cub with the mod, but ailerons out to tips. I flew that a little, and was duly impressed. A great mod. On floats, more wing really helps, but when my Cub went in for recover, they changed wings back to stock.

But, as I said, that plane convinced me that rudder is your best friend in Cubs.

MTV

On the plus side, one of those mods on a Super Cub taught me the value of rudder! I flew that Cub eight years on Kodiak, and you’re absolutely right, they can be “sporty” in a wind, of which there is some on Kodiak. A friend there bought a newly rebuilt cub with the mod, but ailerons out to tips. I flew that a little, and was duly impressed. A great mod. On floats, more wing really helps, but when my Cub went in for recover, they changed wings back to stock.

But, as I said, that plane convinced me that rudder is your best friend in Cubs.

MTV

Thats good stuff to think about, I got scared GOOD one day, partly my fault I raised the flaps to 20 for takeoff, had never used flaps before, didnt realize my knee would get pinned between stick and flap handle.. left xwind and couldnt get the stick over, wing came up and had to decide fast to keep going or abort, I kept throttle in and finally got the wing down. If the xwind would have been any stronger I might have cartwheeled. I dont know why I didnt just reach down and lower the flaps and get the handle out of the way, I guess because it happened so fast, but you bring out another point with rudder.. I am not sure if I had full rudder in, mayby I could have kicked the rudder over hard and got pointed into the wind? I wonder of the plane would have weathervaned into the wind if I had aborted instead of continued? Someone did cartwheel that Super Cub 2 years later, same exact spot on takeoff, he burned up, so I dont know if he had flaps in and was doing what I did.. but it had extended wings and I believe stock not extended ailerons, they were squared off when the Booster tips installed. I bet I could have stomped that rudder and got the plane pointed into the wind and got the wing down. It was a scary few seconds, probably the most scared I have ever been in a Cub

Thats good stuff to think about, I got scared GOOD one day, partly my fault I raised the flaps to 20 for takeoff, had never used flaps before, didnt realize my knee would get pinned between stick and flap handle.. left xwind and couldnt get the stick over, wing came up and had to decide fast to keep going or abort, I kept throttle in and finally got the wing down. If the xwind would have been any stronger I might have cartwheeled. I dont know why I didnt just reach down and lower the flaps and get the handle out of the way, I guess because it happened so fast, but you bring out another point with rudder.. I am not sure if I had full rudder in, mayby I could have kicked the rudder over hard and got pointed into the wind? I wonder of the plane would have weathervaned into the wind if I had aborted instead of continued? Someone did cartwheel that Super Cub 2 years later, same exact spot on takeoff, he burned up, so I dont know if he had flaps in and was doing what I did.. but it had extended wings and I believe stock not extended ailerons, they were squared off when the Booster tips installed. I bet I could have stomped that rudder and got the plane pointed into the wind and got the wing down. It was a scary few seconds, probably the most scared I have ever been in a Cub

One of the best mods i did was cut my flap handle down. Now my fat leg doesn't get in the way anymore

Back