• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help!! - Fuel Stain on new Smith Cub

GeneHerzog

Sulphur Springs, Texas
I had two leaking fuel sumps on the new Smith Cub and came back this weekend to find blue fuel stains under both wings.

Has anyone had success getting these stains off of their plane??

If so let me know ASAP please! I have tried fuel, MEK, Goof OFF, and a few others.

Any suggestions would really be helpful.

Thanks,

Long ago someone posted a note here suggesting that they had had success using HEET to remove the blue stains.

I had a leaking quick drain: the blue stain slowly disappeared with time. It's not pretty for a while (a year or so), but it eventually will go away on its own.

Eric

Gene,

I feel your pain. I have some wicked avgas stains on the side of my cub from a leaky fuel line. Soaked through from the inside to the outside.

Does this scrubbing Bubbles work on fabric? What part of the country does she live in? Does she make hangar calls? :lol:

sj

Help !! - Fuel stain on new Smith Cub

I have a plane that is predominately white. A number of times I have had 100 LL stains from fuel leaks or over fill of the tanks. I use a product in a spray bottle called LLOYDS all purpose cleaner and it cleans the stain right off with very little work. I have used it many times. It is manufactured in DULUTH,MN. by LLOYDS inc. 218-727-7748 They have an 800 number ,but I can't find it. It works Great !!!

Thanks to all for the replies.

I am calling the Lloyds number in the AM. They have several products - Was it the General Purpose or the Degreaser or one of the others?

What is HEET? Will try the Scrubbing Bubbles also.

I tried Av Gas first thing. No luck.

Any more suggestions Obviously many of us have the problem.

HEET is an additive used to prevent ice from forming in a car's fuel lines. You can find it in any car parts store up north, but it may be unavailable in Sulphur Springs.

Gene,

I think it was the All Purpose stuff that was suggested. I ordered some too and some motorcycle cleaner.

Now if the Missouri river floods by the airport I am at, it will be a moot point because I will be looking for a different kind of stain remover!

sj

Gene

My Legend had the original vented caps without the tubes on top. They would allow a tiny bit of fuel to come out when full and it stained the wings and tail. I tried everything, but after a few months, the stains just disappeared. I have a polytone finish, maybe that helped.

Or you could paint it blue :D

Hope you had a great party.

Rich G

Thanks to all for their suggestions. I have ordered the Lloyd's cleaner and degreaser. Will let you know how it works.

What is HEET?

It is basically alcohol. Used to make the water in a fuel system (cars, snow blowers, snow machines) burnable. It also makes the water not freeze. (Important to us folks here in the Last Frontier)
It is also used as a fuel to cook dog food while out sled-dogging and can be used with a roll of toilet paper and a coffee can to make an emergency stove in your survival tent.

Cub were made to be work horses, a little blue stain here and there means you buy good av-gas. A brown stain would mean you use cheap car gas. A dark brown stain means old fish blood. Whats' the big deal...???

Alex Clark said:
Cub were made to be work horses, a little blue stain here and there means you buy good av-gas. A brown stain would mean you use cheap car gas. A dark brown stain means old fish blood. Whats' the big deal...???

HA! Alex, we are humbled by your point.

Now, the whole side of my plane is blue, I was thinking that might get the attention of the wrong folks...

sj

My fuel stains are looking more GREEN these days, think it has something to do with that empty feeling in my wallet. :-?
Chris

I have had major fuel stains on my 185 and on the Cub caused by 100LL and I was always able to remove them with 100LL. Not sure if it was just me but it worked. I always use 100LL to clean the aircraft.

I have a fuel stain. So far have tried Simple Green, Alcohol and (at the recommendation of the PolyFiber manual) Clorox Bleach. So far I haven't hurt the finish and the blue stain is a little lighter. My question -- did the Lloyd's cleaner work????

I have a fuel stain. So far have tried Simple Green, Alcohol and (at the recommendation of the PolyFiber manual) Clorox Bleach. So far I haven't hurt the finish and the blue stain is a little lighter. My question -- did the Lloyd's cleaner work????

the same gas is the best thing for gas stains... be careful

Question: Do fabric aircraft absorb fuel dye and retain the stain more than let's say a 2024T3 skin with zincchromate primer and Imron 5000?

It seems so (opinion).

I read on another site that Extreme Simple Green works so I think I will try that before waiting for the Sun to fix it. Extreme Simple Green is the stuff sold especially to be used on aircraft finishes - should be safe.
From now on I am going to refuel just before flight. Twice now the "hangar fill" instructions have left too much fuel in the tanks when warmed up in the hangar.
Did Lloyd's Cleaner Work back in 2008?????

Darrel,
Try using a good polishing compound from a good brand such as 3M. You might have to do it in stages. Use a low speed automotive buffer. Go easy with it and keep it moving so you don't take a chance and burn your paint. Good luck!

Kevin G.

Thanks Kevin and everyone else. I tried Simichrome, Simple Green, Extreme Simple Green, Scrubbing Bubbles, 409, Clorox Bleach & Alcohol. Instead of trying fuel and other solutions, I am going to quit while the paint finish is still smooth and undamaged. I will let you all know by August or whenever Sunshine does the trick. Here is the page from the Poly-Fiber manual. I am way too cautious to try Step 2!
Polyfiber Instructions002.jpg

Attachments

• Polyfiber Instructions002.jpg
    Polyfiber Instructions002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 183
Is it Aerthane or Polytone?

Steve: What would the difference be? I only have 150 hrs on my Scout and there is a fuel stain on the wing above the fuel vent. Normally, I would use 1000 grit polish with no problem on aluminum skinned aircraft, but it didn't work on the Scout? It is 100LL pigment.

I used LPS Precision Clean on a PA23-250C, (Aztecs can really get "leaky" sometimes) and it allways works on fuel stains. We kept the airframe polished/waxed, which I think is the BEST preventative for fuel stains.

Back