• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Glider Tow Hook

I really don't know, I kinda inherited the last one, and sold it with my Cub, but would like to scare up another for my new Cub. Hows $200 plus shipping sound??

tial hook relived

I will put bug in his ear.... he's in big sky country and will be back this weekend

Tost is FAR better than Schweizer for all the reason mentioned above. The Schwiezer engineering and typical release location are pathetic and dangerous. I have made probably 10K tows as tuggie with Schweizer hooks and they really are poor.

Go to WingsandWheels.com for a Tost unit.

Best, Mark

P.S. Might a tow be had in Austin if I were to alight there in my glider some day???? I did Tehachapi - Janie's Ranch - Tehachapi 3 Saturdays ago and TEH - Mt Grant - Inyokern the next day. Who needs a Cub? :D

Mark, sound advice.

And way to go on the XC; I looked at the OLC. Now let's get this straight: You flew longer/faster/farther in the sailplane than you would have in the Supercub.... :D :D

Thanks. cubscout

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the Tost unit. I don't do much with the hook, but do tow a banner 2-3 times a year. And yes, I'd love to try a glider tow, it could work out to do quite a few eventually, as we get several gliders landing here during the summer months. I'd actually considered putting up a sign with a phone number, but just hadn't gotten that far. I have a banner tow waiver, but suppose that I need a sign off or something to do gliders? Seems like I looked into it once a while back, but didn't see it through. I remember downloading and reading some info about signals etc.

I looked up the Tost unit, and decided that it's just too expensive for me, I think I just want a Schweizer unit, and I'll be happy for what little towing I do. Wasn't there something about mounting the unit upside down or something to eliminate the problems? I think that I have some info on that someplace.

Hi Pops,

For what you are doing the schweitzers have always worked fine, going to Tosts just means you will be spending more $$$ on everything, including the rings. You don't want to flip the release on a banner tow.

The gliderport I towed for in phx. (the same one you stayed at) switched over to Tosts and might still have a release or two. Their brackets are for pawnees, but will work on cubs. I need one for an experimental project myself. I will give them a ring and shoot you a pm. Do you need just the release, the attatchment as well, or both and the cable and handle?

Stearman600 doesn't use handles in his banner tows, just dead heads the cable, and you just pull / push on the jacket like an old bus stop bell. I like that set up well...

Take care, Rob

Coyote:

I will keep eyes open for a Schweizer hook.

You need some pretty basic knowledge plus a logbook endorsement to tow. I could do this for you should we meet up this summer. My Dad is coming out and we plan on doing some SuperCubbin up your way. Will get in touch when plans firm up.

Yes, CubScout, I WAY prefer flying gliders to SuperCubs. As you know, better handling, better visibility, comfortable for 10 hrs in the saddle, quiet, and you actually have to THINK and DO something to make progress. Typical X-C airplane flying is pretty boring. In addition, flying a Cub in many of the places I am very comfortable in a glider (low, way inside the Sierra) are terrifying in the Cub due to its poor L/D. I am continually amazed where many power pilots will fly - not even a good place to crash, much less land safely.

Apologies for the hijack, Coyote!

Lemme hijack for my non-Cub friends. For those who insist on hand-propping Champs and Tcarts solo, has there been any lightweight hook-like devices that could release a tail tie down?

Here you go Bob. Works good! Lasts a long time!
N969DJ_009.jpg

Bob
What ever you like. It's just some aluminum bar stock, longer tail wheel bolts and the hook. I ran some nylo-seal tubing through the fuselage for the release cable. There is no fancy release. The end of the release cable is secured in the cockpit. To release,just pull up on the cable. I've always had one of these on anything that I have to hand start. It is nice to have when on floats. There is a Husky in the Tee hanger directly behind mine at JNX. Is that the one you are talking about?

Excellent picture. That's a good application for handpropping with less danger. Looks like a standard Schweizer release on barstock or a leaf spring, which would be fine for handpropping, but I wouldn't tow a glider or banner on one. For a handprop release, I've also seen one mounted directly to the vertical bolt on a Scott 3200.

Schweizer no longer has these, but McFarlane is now making nice copies; saw one on a C-182 tug. So one could get a McFarlane release, fabricate a 4130 "Crutch" similar to the Schweizer STC'd one, and use the chapter in FAR 43.13 as approved data, in theory.

Let us know how this turns out.

Thanks. cubscout

Rob said:
Hi Pops,

For what you are doing the schweitzers have always worked fine, going to Tosts just means you will be spending more $$$ on everything, including the rings. You don't want to flip the release on a banner tow.

The gliderport I towed for in phx. (the same one you stayed at) switched over to Tosts and might still have a release or two. Their brackets are for pawnees, but will work on cubs. I need one for an experimental project myself. I will give them a ring and shoot you a pm. Do you need just the release, the attatchment as well, or both and the cable and handle?

Stearman600 doesn't use handles in his banner tows, just dead heads the cable, and you just pull / push on the jacket like an old bus stop bell. I like that set up well...

Take care, Rob

Hi Rob, Good to hear from you.... I actually have an attachment, I don't think that it's Schweizer, but looks like it and it fits, and I like the idea of the bus stop cable, so actually all I really need is the release.... I've got a line on one, but it's the whole kit, if you can get me just a release, I'd go that way I think. Hope to see you in JC again..... pops

Bob,

There is a diagram of a similar to Schweitzer but homemade tail tiedown hook in the Cub Club newsletter issue 55 page 10.

John Scott

P.S. Saddle Up! Len is leaving on Monday or Tuesday for SJ. You should come too.

Len likes to travel alone. I don't think I am ready for two weeks of cross-country joy in my Cub. Last time I tried it the engine exploded over Oklahoma. Safe landing, but an expensive truck ride.

Len likes to travel alone. I don't think I am ready for two weeks of cross-country joy in my Cub. Last time I tried it the engine exploded over Oklahoma. Safe landing, but an expensive truck ride.
Would any one know were to look for one that attaches to a Scott 3200

Would any one know were to look for one that attaches to a Scott 3200

I was chatting with Vera at Cub Crafters while ordering parts a few days. When I mentioned I was putting a Tost hook on my Super Cub she said they have a Schweitzer hook in their used parts if I was interested. $200 would seem like a reasonable price to me.

I was chatting with Vera at Cub Crafters while ordering parts a few days. When I mentioned I was putting a Tost hook on my Super Cub she said they have a Schweitzer hook in their used parts if I was interested. $200 would seem like a reasonable price to me.
I have 4 of them for 1 1/4 springs need for a 1 3 /4 spring

Is this what your looking for? Lousy half picture but it was on a project I’m doing.
DF09EA87-D241-4B57-B88C-2BA9F06F701F.jpeg

Attachments

• DF09EA87-D241-4B57-B88C-2BA9F06F701F.jpeg
    DF09EA87-D241-4B57-B88C-2BA9F06F701F.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 289
Oh I’ve already got one that was leftover from my PA-12. It’ll go right onto my Super Cub. I was just trying to help John (Skysigns) out.

i thank you for the offer
when i recover one of my cubs i up grade them to 2000 gross weight and it calls for a pawnee tail spring

Back