• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What to do with project?

J5Ron

GONE WEST
Valdez, Alaska
Here's my options...

I have this cub project that I have ready for fabric...It is a J5A with good paperwork. The wings and Fuse are in great shape.

#1--- build it stock, light as possible with 0-235

#2--- Same as above but with 0290-D or D2

#3--- build it experimental, keep it light, and modify wings by adding flaps, and power with 0-320.

What would be the best option, for personal use, as well as resale?

Thanks for you opinion...

Ron

Technically No. 3 is not an option unless you file with the FAA and the classification is very limited . I think they call it exhibition class. With the price of fuel, the inheherent limitation of the model as a back country flyer I'd keep as inexpensive and stock as possible and make it a good fun flyer. JMO

the inheherent limitation of the model as a back country flyer

I am not sure I understand your comment...I know of many 12's that are great backcountry airplanes...I once had a 100hp J5C that got around great...
Ron

Is it OK sport pilot? If so, I think I would restore it to absolute stock, sell it, get a beater PA-18, and convert it to what you really want. If you don't count all your labor, you might come out even.

J5Ron said:
the inheherent limitation of the model as a back country flyer

I am not sure I understand your comment...I know of many 12's that are great backcountry airplanes...I once had a 100hp J5C that got around great...
Ron

Ron, you are right. I guess I was thinking of my nephews J5 with a 75hp and that plane getting in out of 500 strips at 6K alt with me in the back. Not. I'll bet a 100 hp 5 would be a spunky little bird. But I will say this, my 12 is heck of lot more comfortable for us long legged dudes. I still think a stock J5 with the 100 would be the best balance and have the highest resale. That means the pressure cowl doesn't it?

Bob,
I already have an 18...just building for fun...I think?

JMO...yes, pressure cowl...

J5Ron

I'd love to have a stocker J5 or 12 in addition to my current 12. So many of us change our 12s and load them with weight gaining mods, it's actually really cool to see an original bird.

Light is where it's usually at for a fun flyer, leave the flaps and bigger engines and hassles for the bird you don't mind getting dirty/dented/deflowered.

Joe

Some of the best fun I have ever had in flying has been with aircraft with 90hp or less. What about a 90hp cont.?

Most of the J-5As that I have flown had 0-235s, firewall forward from a PA-12. The best performer, at sea level, was stock. I think that it had a C-75. I would opt for a 0-200 if there is an approval for it. Maybe you have a friendly FAA to help with a field approval? (Long shot) but worth a try.

What will it be worth when complete? Its hard enough rebuilding a PA18 with out getting upside down in it. I would be inclined to sell it as is.

My 12 is an almost stock (Clevelands, metal prop, too many instruments, alternator and spin on filter kit) and still sports the same motor it was certified with 62 years ago. It is the only long-wing Piper I've ever flown but, I gotta tell ya, it is about the most fun airplane I've ever owned. It has a certain utility, simpleness, economy and curb appeal that heavily modded airplanes don't. My faithful O-235 burns 6 gph pretty much no matter what I'm doing and the airplane can't be beat for cruising the local area for an hour or so, shooting landings or peaking over the next ridge line just to see what's there. Sometimes I laugh out loud because flying the airplane is so much fun. I think it would be hard to work a stock 12 but for pure s&!+$ and giggles, it can't be beat.

Back