Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: North Dakota flying question

Post Thanks / Like

North Dakota flying question

Howdy folks,

Just writing to get some input on the "state of aviation" in North Dakota.

A little background; Work might relocate me from Texas to North Dakota in the next year or so (Minot area). I'm just looking to get a feel for the aviation community and any advice on airplane hangaring/ownership in the Minot area.

I'm currently between airplanes, used to own a PA-20 and a C180, but will be buying another C180/C185 in the next few months. I'm not a Mechanic but do most of my own maintenance and will be looking for a good IA for annuals/major repairs. Not to mention I have to look for a house!

Any advice or general info on flying/owning in North Dakota would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Call Pietsch flying service 7018524092 and ask for Warren or Kent.

Post Thanks / Like
    P.s.- whats your background on cold weather?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug
    Wish someone had asked me that before I moved to Minnesota.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now, that is funny .

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW somebody actually moving "to" North Dakota...

My hat's off to ya. I left the land of my youth 32 years ago but it draws me back two or three times a year. It's a wonderful place to be FROM!!!
    Bob D

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I work on a rotational basis up here (2 weeks/month) and got two winters under my belt so far. As far as flying in the cold....none what so ever!!! All I know to do is to hangar, pre-heat, and make sure I've got adequate cylinder head/oil temps before blasting off. I'm sure there's more to it than that, though.

From what I've seen so far, weather wise, it looks like a lot of scud running days in the winter and wind. Lots of places to land though if you have trouble compared to East Texas!! As far as summer flying up here, I'm assuming it's pretty nice.

Thanks for the comments so far, please keep them coming. If any of you guys have suggestions/recommendations on a good place to hangar (or stay away from) please let me know..through PM or e-mail. I'm kind of looking for a private or small municipal place to hangar if that's even possible.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    If you arent interested in hangering in Minot, which direction would you like to be. Tons of small towns near by with empty hangers. Probably have to drive 20-40 miles but with the cost of gas probably just pay a little more and be in Minot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill,

You'll love flying around ND. Pretty laid back.
    We fly year round. Hangers in Minot I'm sure are full.
    I'm 45 air miles north of minot, hope to be building a new hanger
    this year, might be able to help out till you find something closer.
    Give a call when you're in the area, I'll do what I can to help.

701-263-1383
    Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    If you arent interested in hangering in Minot, which direction would you like to be. Tons of small towns near by with empty hangers. Probably have to drive 20-40 miles but with the cost of gas probably just pay a little more and be in Minot.
    I could really go any direction...there seems to be nice houses both north and south of town. I don't mind driving 30 minutes to the airport; In Houston, I have to do that now. Again, I'd prefer at a rural airport but that will have to depend on the availability of maintenance help. On my way out of ND this trip (I'm here right now in the New Town Area) I'll try and stop by Minot International and see Pietsch flying service to get the ball rolling.

Post Thanks / Like
    And one final idea for ya. Call the North Dakota Aeronautics Comm at 701-328-9650 and ask for a FREE airport directory the has all the airports and there managers and there phone numbers listed in it. Nice little deal. Good luck. doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Widebody
    Hi Bill,

You'll love flying around ND. Pretty laid back.
    We fly year round. Hangers in Minot I'm sure are full.
    I'm 45 air miles north of minot, hope to be building a new hanger
    this year, might be able to help out till you find something closer.
    Give a call when you're in the area, I'll do what I can to help.

701-263-1383
    Brad
    Brad,

Thanks for the info and the offer. I'll let you know as soon as I find something out at work. Good to know I've got options!!

tempdoug

Thanks again for the great info. If summer flying weather is anything like today...I'm going to be in heaven!! It was just beautiful down here west of New town. Back in Houston in May it's already hot humid and rough!!

Thanks again Guys,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

N.D.

4653B, I grew up in the S.E. part of N.D. I sure miss that January weather, -20 with a 20 mph N. wind. However, you are going to a great area with great people. Pretty good whitetail hunting, awesome walleye and perch fishing. You will enjoy living there. Best of luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

Newtown has an airport and so does Parshall. For whatever reason Parshall gets more fedral $ than Newtown and may be a nicer airport. Parshall has a new fuelmaster set up which may be convenient for you. I don't know about hangar space.

From Parshall or Newtown fly west over the Badlands, Theodore Rosevelt National Parks, Little Missouri River, Lake Sakakawea and on down the Missouri River to Bismarck. There is a lot of area there to explore and that is just western ND. I almost forgot the Peace Gardens. Great destination for a morning flight.

I am on a private strip west and south of 91N, center of the state. I have flown over where you are working and probably don't have to tell you not to sleep on the housing issue. With the oil boom going on housing might be slim pickins.

There are several fly ins coming up in June and July. I don't think they are advertised well, mostly word of mouth and small flyers at the airports. Watch for them, the food is usually good.

Bill
    Flat Country Pilot
    Farm Field PVT
    54 C170B

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys!