• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any bets on the valdez contest???

Ursa Major-Mike,
I believe that this is the same cub from the 90's that won the Gulkana Show...I think the plane you are referring to , that was Cleo's is still in their family, but Chucks brother has it on floats....

Ron

Dave,
I was sorry to...but thats how it goes...next year...? Good to see ya...remember to look me up if your in the Copper Valley...

Ron

I thoroughly enjoyed the day. The contest, however, seemed to lose structure in the LSA. The experimentals were getting into the heats, then it seemed like a free for all at the end. By this time it was almost 7pm and interest was waning. Matt's performance was really impressive and more so with the little time he has in that cub.

Pak, I agree with you. I had a great time there but it seemed the event was a little disorganized this year and it was this way from start to finish. When we got there on Friday nobody at the registration desk could tell us how to register for events. Saturday had alot of down time between heats, unorganized heats, the announcers didn't have a clue about the experimental aircraft. Anyone entering an experimental aircraft should have to write up a little sheet about it so the announcer can tell the crowd what they are seeing.

Why was the Redneck Cub running with the LSA class prior to the experimental class? Why did Matt Piatt run in his own heat in the Sport Cub?

I know it is a volunteer run event and I am very grate full for it. But it could have run alot smoother. Being a cub fanatic I enjoyed the show, but for the non airplane lovers in our group, it was a long day with all the downtime between heats and the lack of information about what was going on.

None the less, a great time. Once again I was most impressed with Chuck McMahon. He took what was a relatively stock cub (minus a few parts) off in I believe 62' in what was the hottest and least windiest part of the day. He doesn't get near the coverage of some of the other big names, but he is among the best.

Shane

The result are in but their on a pfd file and I cannot seem to get them to come up...Steve, a little help please?

Come on Doug...pdf??? Can't you get it right? Oh by the way have a Great week with the mother-in-law??? It was my time...now yours!
Ron

I think I'd agree with Dave Caukins. He saw the same thing I saw. The J3 clearly won. And after things were , what we considered over, Matt climbed into the CC cub with more wind and gave it two more tries. Most competitors were restricted to the number of attempts. Matt appears to be able to pick his airplane, the wind conditions, and the time to fly.

Just the opposite..... Matt is a hell of a pilot. He has been banned from the competition which involves a new set of Bushwheels.... He'll win them every time and then sell them 5 minutes later.... I'll bet he would have put up better numbers with his 11 than he did in the Sport Cub....

Oh yeah, I forgot to add..... Piatt is the reason they don't let Pa-11's in the Bush Class anymore..... Won't be long before they ban Claus and McMahon. Just isn't fair with those guys flying.....

Just remember that the PA-12 had the shortest landing......

yeah great idea to ban the best pilots. Thats like banning the yankees because they always win the world series. To me i woundn't want to win unless I beat the best.

The point about Matt is not about Matt. The point is that his result for flying an LSA airplane was included in the official standings, yet he did not fly in the official heat.(I just looked at the official standings. Paul Klaus is being credited with first place in LSA, This is even weirder).

Jerry Burr's name has not been mentioned enough on this thread. It's very likely that his legacy, piloting, and a/c are the reason the "unlimited" class (SQ-2, RedNeck Cub, etc.) was restricted, rather than unlimited.

I hate to say I smell money and politics, but I do.

Again, Matt is cool. Nothing about Matt, he's fine.(Nothing about Paul either)

DAVE

edited to include the contents of the parentheses.DMC

Dave,

I can certainly see the sense of separating "workable" airplanes from ones that are not allowed to do work for hire - like experimental and LSA. A line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise some guy in a weedeater powered (nothing against weedeaters) kite could win the show everytime.

Experimental is not really unlimited, because you are limited in your ability to use it for more than pleasure, same with LSA.

Jerry Burr is the reason we are all flying with VG's, or at least the reason I am. He puts a tremendous amount of thought, planning, and care in his aircraft and his flying (maybe in everything he does!). I always learn something when I am around him, even if I don't know it until later :oops:

sj

Dave Calkins said:
The point about Matt is not about Matt. The point is that his result for flying an LSA airplane was included in the official standings, yet he did not fly in the official heat.(I just looked at the official standings. Paul Klaus is being credited with first place in LSA, This is even weirder).

Jerry Burr's name has not been mentioned enough on this thread. It's very likely that his legacy, piloting, and a/c are the reason the "unlimited" class (SQ-2, RedNeck Cub, etc.) was restricted, rather than unlimited.

I hate to say I smell money and politics, but I do.

Again, Matt is cool. Nothing about Matt, he's fine.(Nothing about Paul either)

DAVE

edited to include the contents of the parentheses.DMC

It sounds like Valdez has adopted Arctic Man rules.

SB

Steve, I understand your position on the class structure.

You're a diplomat. :D

Can you help me understand the issue of posting an official result in the LSA class for a pilot who did not fly in the official heat? (I ask you this because you are the diplomat.

SB. I wasn't there? What'd they do?

Politics are interesting....last year I was talked into competing in the LS with my old cub...when only three of us signed up they canceled the category and put me in with the supercubs...

They said they didn't want to give out the prizes for the three that signed up....

It was fun none the less...

charlesf said:
Matt appears to be able to pick his airplane, the wind conditions, and the time to fly.

Charlesf,

This is a thread about the 2006 results where Matt won. What you have said here sure paints this decent honest young man in way that could not be further from reality.

http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10259&highlight=valdez+results

If you are ever lucky enough to have to time to get to know this guy you will see what I mean.

As for politics, I hope that we take time out to thank the good folks that donate the thousands of dollars worth of prizes to this and other events.

Also keep in mind that best way to make an event that is run by volunteers better is to volunteer.

Cheers to great folks I met, the sponsors that make this stuff possible, and the great fun I had in Valdez.

Jerry

Dave Calkins said:
Can you help me understand the issue of posting an official result in the LSA class for a pilot who did not fly in the official heat? (I ask you this because you are the diplomat.

That I cannot explain, but I bet there IS an explanation...

sj

"...but I bet there IS an explanation..."

I would wager against this. How could it be 'explained' that one aircraft was allowed to fly in its own heat against itself and no other, in a more favorable wind, over an hour later than the rest of the competitors? I don't require a response SJ, I'm just letting my thoughts out here.

AS far as CharlesF's comment about Matt. I never took it that he was making a negative comment about Matt. I reasoned the statement to be about disorganization or unfairness of competition, not about Matt. Matt seems like a nice guy and is obviously a talented and skilled Cub-driver.

The CC-11 is a cool airplane, also.

But hey, If I was 'racing for pinkslips' I'd sure have a hard time handing it over if the other guy was allowed to race a different track (wind condition) than me and beat me.

I hope this helps instead of hurting the issue/conversation/topic. D

A particular bright spot in the show for me was watching my young friend Leif Walters take second place in the Bush Class.

I had to drag him up to the registration desk and make him sign up. I was sure impressed with his performance.

He is one of a group of young pilots that I have have adopted as my young friends. Sure I like to see the old time respected pilots like Chuck go home with the prize but I think we old farts are going to have to get used to these young guys giving a great showing.

Jerry

Jerry
Suppose it has anything to do with reaction time. In my case I know it does. I don't attempt the crap I did 20 years ago. My minimums for what I'll try have increased with the years. Not just the flying either!!!
Mike

Well said guys.

Also, anyone watching this thread should check out the thread titled "Reflections of the Valdez Show".

It's nice to hear another perspective.

DAVE

Dave Calkins said:
"...but I bet there IS an explanation..."

I would wager against this. How could it be 'explained' that one aircraft was allowed to fly in its own heat against itself and no other, in a more favorable wind, over an hour later than the rest of the competitors? I don't require a response SJ, I'm just letting my thoughts out here.

Dave, I don't recall it being an hour later that Matt competed in the Sport Cub.

Jerry and two other planes had just finished their two take off / landings, when Matt taxied up. There was not much delay as I remember.

Crash

In the heat of LSA airplanes we saw a T-cart, a CC-11, a J-3, and a RedNeckCub as a demonstration.

Phil Prax was driving the CC-11(respectable job, Phil), Jerry Burr the J-3(awesome performance Jerry!, the crowd roared on your very short takeoffs!!, and yours was the first landing of the day that appeared to be under 100 feet), Greg Miller the RedNeck Cub(hey, it was Greg Mauleguy-Miller flying a light 250+HP Cub with a dumpvalve on the hydraulic flaps), and I don't know the T-crate driver.

I do not recall the CC-11 having another run at the line after the other LSA were finished. If I am wrong, I apologize. Maybe I went to the outhouse directly after the LSA heat and missed the yellow CC-11. But I had a chair as close to the line as one could be (not in the rest of the crowd abeam the line, but on the ramp East of the line in the row of parked a/c) and don't recall the events as you do. Hey, I've been wrong before.

As I recall, later, following the EXP class, I stood right next to the CC-11 when he (Matt) hopped in it. The a/c was sitting on the ramp to the spectator's right of the takeoff/landing line and within 50 feet of the a/c I arrived in and was preparing to leave in, and sat near during the whole STOL competition. I spoke to him right before he strapped the CC-11 on. This is the event I recall as over an hour later than the LSA heat and with a different wind condition. As I recall, Phil parked the CC-11 near me following the LSA heat and it sat there through the EXP runs until Matt was requested to fly it.

As I said, I've been wrong before, and probably will be again, but I don't remember it like you do. DAVE

EDIT: It sounds like I may have missed a run by Matt following the rest of the LSA heat I watched. I assumed his run following the EXP class is the run that was counted. My apology to Greg (Crash) and anyone else. Thank you, and I am sorry for my confusion. DMC

Back