Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STOL Custom Cruiser (highly-modified PA-12 'replica')

Post Thanks / Like

STOL Custom Cruiser (highly-modified PA-12 'replica')

Look for this bird on the FEDEX ramp at the AlaskaAirmen's Show at the FEDEX hangar in Anchorage next Saturday and Sunday, May 3rd and 4th.

Here are a few shots while the trim colors were going on the fuselage, cowl, and tail.

This bird has Wayne Mackey slats and a handful of custom aerodynamic and weight-saving mods, including a one-off carbon fiber cowling and very-lightweght composite floorboards and is powered by a Lycon-built I0-360 that they report did 230 HP at 2700rpm on their dyno. It will fly the week after the show if paperwork and engine run-up go well, which means I will have lost my bet with Mark Englerth that it'd fly by the FedEX show.

Ask any questions on here and I'll try to keep up. DAVE

click on the thumbnail photo's for a larger photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to seeing this one in person. It looks great from the preview. I bet we will be talking about this one when it takes flight.

BTW - I spent the day watching Wayne fly the amazing SQ2. I think your creation will be very interesting.

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Will it make an appearance at Valdez? No better place to show off a new toy.

Post Thanks / Like
    AKdrifter...........it's Experimental-ameteur built, so............not likely Valdez will be in the flight-test area, even if we assume it will fly the week before the event she won't be flitting over there.

I'm not ready to brag about what this will do, Jerry. There are a couple of un-tested 'tricks' here, and bragging before the 'sum-total' of their effects are known may be my style, but I'm keeping quiet 'til I see her go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, come on, Dave--give us some openings to take some cheap shots later, will ya ??

Looking good. I particularly like the "Uber Lightning Bolt" trim scheme...

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Looks like a great project.
    Did you modify the angle of incidence on this one or did you leave it at the stock 12 AOI

Also would you be willing to share some more details about your wings. Specifically, are you routing the cables in the standard PA 12 manner or are you running the cables up the struts.

Any other details about any wing or fuselage mods would be great.

Thanks.

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, I'm not biting on that......I could be biting my foot later.........we'll just have to see how it goes.

Brad, the wing is at 4 degrees, yes, not your average or even above average -12, or -18, for that matter. The cables are not along the struts.

Slats, droop ailerons, roll spoilers, landing spoilers, big elevators, big fin and rudder.

By-the-way.......I watched Wayne Mackey fly his SQ-2 today and that thing is a SOLID slow-flight bird. Truly impressive!!! It should not fly that slow!

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave

How I love to see people working with the 12s, I cannot wait to peruse that bird this weekend!

Joe
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Thanks for the info. My guess is that your plane will be similar in performance to Mr. Mackey's fine creation. I understand that you will want to verify that first but thats my guess nonetheless...
    Do you recall how much you lowered the rear strut attach fitting to achieve 4 degrees AOI? I am doing a stretched pacer which has the same AOI as a stock 12 (unless I have missed something). I would like to increase the AOI on my plane but not if it means a whole re-work of the fuselage. Also, did you make the ribs for your extended chord flaps? Thanks again for the info and best of luck.

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, the customer wanted a -12......nothing wrong with that!

Brad, the fuselage frame was not changed at the wing attach points....Instead, the front wing spar fitting was redesigned to incorporate several holes lined up vertically to allow incidence changes.......of course, the stabilizer incidence had to follow the wing incidence increase, otherwise this thing would never trim out in cruise (it would always climb).

Brad, as far as amount of change in where the wing bolts on.........the wing spars are 30 inches apart. Over that span(30 inches) a half inch change in height of one end of a 30 inch thing (attach fitting, etc.) equals 1 degree of change....you can figure out what you need from there.

The flaps and ailerons are stock chordlength. Waynes are extended and I would do that if I were to do it over.... I think.

Wayne's airplane is in the hangar where this -12 project is for the night, and Jerry Burrs J-3 is parked in front of the door. They're camping (Yes, they set up their tents!?) in the hangar tonight and I hope they don't have a weenie roast on the hangar floor. I'm still blown away by Jerry's desire to save weight on his airplane, and Wayne's is impressive in what it will do. These guys have been messing around with STOL for many years, and what a privilege to chat with them and provide them a floor for the weekend.

Search these guys out if any of you're at the show. DAVE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Calkins
    Joe, the customer wanted a -12......nothing wrong with that!

Brad, as far as amount of change in where the wing bolts on.........the wing spars are 30 inches apart. Over that span(30 inches) a half inch change in height of one end of a 30 inch thing (attach fitting, etc.) equals 1 degree of change....you can figure out what you need from there.

DAVE-

Did you do anything to the rear wing spar mount on the fuselage?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, nothing to the rear spar or attach point on the frame.

Sorry to say, guys, but we decided not to show this a/c this weekend. A heckuva crunch trying to finish up the last few things, and we decided not to work all night and still end up displaying an unfinished, and, (more importantly, to my thinking) an unflown bird.

This is a disappointment, but also a relief.

We will be working on it next week, and expect it to fly soon, and I will have more photos and flight data to keep you guys updated in the coming days. Sorry for the hoopla all for nuthin'!. DAVE

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,
    Awesome looking machine! I also like the uber-lighting bolt! I could see a variation of that on my scheme.

Do you know if the Wayne's slats are bolt on or is there considerable modification needed to install these?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bugs, on Waynes slat attachment, if you define "bolt-on" literally, the attachment scheme on his current SQ-2 is very nearly bolt on. This -12 project of mine uses a different method, but Wayne has a scheme to retrofit his slats to an existing/covered Cub wing.

Thanks. DAVE

Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT looking project. Looking forward to peformance reports.

And highest compliments to Dave Calkins for NOT pushing the project just to meet a short-term "important" deadline like the Alaska Airmen's. I really respect the integrity of wanting to get it right, not just a public ego-rush.

Hope to see the '12 when I go up in a couple weeks to pick up my new Supercub from the AA raffle.

Thanks. cubscout

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    You shouldn't be sorry for sticking to your standards. I consider it a preview of a great project.
    Think of all the guys that show up with half done projects claiming the next greatest... even to OshKosh... I can think of several, with some even returning incomplete for the next year... Yours will be flying shortly and likely be painting a smile on your customers face bigger than the "uber lightning bolt"

Take care, Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Cubscout and Rob, Thank You.

Have had a few folks up for the show come by and take a look.

Also, have met some great folks up for the show.

Thanks again guys! DAVE

StewartB
    Dave,

Any news to report? Has the beast been flown yet? I'm really interested to hear how this plane works.

For curiosity's sake, will the first flight be from Z41 or ANC?

Stewart

Post Thanks / Like
    SB, ANC for first flight test.

The tanks will be leak checked tomorrow.

Wing root fairings and skylight will go on after leak check.

Run the motor (Lycon put 2 hours on it in their test cell and dyno).

Still need to paint stripes on a fairing and the N number on the rudder.

Flight controls are all working and most are safetied.

Install inspection panels (lots of 'em).

Get the AOSS figured out and installed.

Put on the 35's and bleed the brakes.

That's a short list, most of it will be accomplished tomorrow.

Paperwork.?!

It's lighter than I thought it would be if lifting the tail is an indicator.

I'll keep you posted. D

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    Any recent news on your 12 project?
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron, it's running.

Weight and Balance and Equipment list will happen tomorrow (Monday, June2).

Wingtips still need to go on but can't until the landing and taxi light lenses are made (waiting for CAC to get them finished).

Still need to install the stick grip and PTT switch.

A couple of placards on the baggage doors, and that's about it.

It could fly in a couple of days if the paper comes through.

Thanks for asking. I'll post some photos when we roll it out for the big day.

By-the-way...I repositioned the Airmen's raffle Cub (a friend won it) to Merrill so Dan's could fix a couple of little squawks, and dang, it flies nice. I'd never have guessed it at 1269 pounds. I guess I've been flying a bunch of twisted up and wrecked fuselages out of bad jigs. That raffle Cub is a beautiful airplane and flies very nice. It feels very light, very soon in the takeoff roll with 2 guys and 3/4 fuel. I guess all that stuff Mark Englerth from Thrustline says about wing-incidence is spot-on. There are sweetheart Cubs and there are dog's. This one is a sweetheart, and Dan's built it up very nicely.

Later. DAVE

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave
    do you have a big smile yet???

Aurele

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave
    Any news to share about the 12 project.
    Aurele

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't checked this thread in some time, sorry for not answering Aurele.

We possess an airworthiness cert. It will fly soon. Photos will be posted soon......the day it rolls out of the hanger.

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply Dave.
    looking forward to the pics and info.
    Aurele

Post Thanks / Like
    Rolled it out today and tied it at it's outside tiedown. I know you hangar guys are cringing.

It will fly early next week, as there is a military airshow this weekend, some of the airspace will be closed, and, heck, I'm going to the show to see that military iron burn some gas.

Here are a few photos. click on them to go to the medium version. go to my album if you want to see a few more. click on the medium version in the album to go to the largest version.

The three photos of the left wing in the album that appear to be the same photo are photos of 1.spoilers deployed 2. no spoiler, but with flap and aileron drooping 3. flap and aileron droop selected, full left stick, with coupled left outboard spoiler deployed for roll augmentation. Go to the album! D

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/sh...500&ppuser=190

....link to my album

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, you should be very happy with the result...it looks VERY nice...I am flying out Tuesday so I will be in town Monday...I plan on checking it out...I know just the spot...I see the nice 14 in the background...I have drooled in the vicinity ... most likely going to be more drooling...

Once again...NICE!

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Nice looking machine. I'm interested in the obviously different strut braced tail leading edge. You must have a VERY long jackscrew in there for that??

Nice in any case.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome Dave.

Mike, That looks like Charlie Center's tail mod. http://www.crosswindsstol.com/prod05.htm
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Yup, that would be it. Anyone who's looked out the back of one of the higher hp Cubs during full power would probably agree with Center's claim there.... Those tails really take a thrashing.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, the tail brace is a one-off. It differs from CrosswindSTOL's in several ways, though the idea was hatched from their's.

Mike, you are correct about the long jackscrew. On this aircraft the wing incidence has been increased. The hor. stab. incidence range was increased as well........so.............longer screw, higher screw tower, etc. I wouldn't have bothered with the brace except for that long screw. Tails don't simply fall off PA-18's, and Cub mechanics been able to manage the wear okay without the extra bracing, in my opinion. Still, that's a long screw.

The tail brace stiffens things aLLOTTTT. I was pleasantly surprised. And the trim crank is still buttery smoooottttthhhh. So I'm happy!

You may notice that the tail is taller at the fin leading edge/hor.stab.jackscrew area also. The top of the fin is 3 inches higher, as is the rudder, with a 5 inch longer rudder chord as well................taller jackscrew..

Anyone thinking it, NO, that is not a Citabria or Crosswind cowling. That is a one-off I made to slim the front end for more efficient thrust, cooling, and better over-the nose visibility. Looking at both Citabria and this together, the disimilarities are obvious. This nosebowl/top cowl is molded in carbon graphite, weighing 3.5 pounds for the upper cowl/upper nosebowl and lower nosebowl. The side doors and lower cowl are aluminum.

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like
    Checked it out last night..Very nice Dave...I like the clear inspection windows on the bottom of the wing...
    Nice job!
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Test flight yesterday. Very pleased.

Wayne Mackey's slat makes the a/c very solid in slow flight.

The droop ailerons add to the solid feel as well. They also allow even slower flight. Also, they provide a flatter deck angle at a certain speed than without them, or even slower flight with a very high deck angle.

I changed the aileron belcrank (PA-12) to integrate enough differential so that when the ailerons are drooped, full aileron to one side will actually raise that aileron above neutral. They work great. I am very satisfied with the aileron feel and responsiveness. I did not get into a regime where I utilized the roll-spoiler. I designed it to deploy with the last one third of the control stick throw while ailerons were drooped, but I never banged the stick hard over..........later in testing.

Grossed out (2350 lbs. ) this thing takes off and lands very solidly with no bad habits and the performance is surprisingly good. I did not measure any of them, but I'd guess 300 foot TO and Landing.

I'll post some flight photos, it looks so good!!!

Only sqwawks are 1. oil pressure up there around 90 2. slight seep on the #1 intake pushrod housing at the case. I can't believe it!

Happy, and wanting get out and see what it will do when empty.

DAVe

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Dave, let's see some more pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are better photos on a different camera, but I don't have them yet. Here is one from my camera. The other photos are close while formed up tight in the -18 chaseplane and are BEAUTIFUL.

With this -12 at gross (2350) there is no way in heck a stock -18 with half fuel and 2 'normal' occupants can stay with it when it slows down. While flying chase in the -18, I tried to stay close on the first flight while checking the flaps/droop the first few times and I kept pulling away in the -18 and even burbled it and had to drop (forward stick) the -18's nose to keep 'er from stalling. The -12 hauls a load like a mad dog!!

Here's a photo, more to come when I can get them. Click to enlarge.

Post Thanks / Like
    This airplane was parked in Birchwood this morning as I was leaving to fly out west. It has a ominous look to it even at a distance. The owner was at the plane when I came back this afternoon and was very proud of his new toy. He was more than willing to show me all the bells and whistles. He let me get up into the seat and pull all the flaps, levers and gizmos. What an amazing airplane! The pulley cluster at the upper rear deck is impressive - very clean work! The only dissappointing thing about the whole experience was having to walk back to my old 55A-Model.

Great Job!!

68Papa

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the cowl and nose shape how did you come up with such a shape? Very nicely done! The bumps for the starter and alt are sweet. truly a one off cowl. great job. I am glad to hear it flys so well. you have upped the bar again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jon. Where's them wheels? DAVe

Post Thanks / Like
    soon, very soon. maybe a week or so for a prototype set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Old tread but I was wondering if you have any performance number for this. Also how hard would it be to put a set of the Mackey wings on a stock 12 if you just bought the wings from the kit supplier?

Thanks

CC