• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

EDO 2000 hatches

NimpoCub

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital o
The only thing I don't like about EDO 2000's is the 6" wide hatches. It would be so nice to be able to carry gas down there. We agree so far?

Here's a dumb question... Can I modify the hatches/covers to make 'em wider? Well, one anyway. Without going to look at 'em, I picture skin & compartment enlargements as well as the frame/hatch, but is there anything structural along the tops of 'em?

Oh, and since my floats burned up in the hangar fire, I need new ones (well, another set) :)
Neighbor has plenty of spare rigging, I need a set of the float tubes only. I saw a set advertised in Ak, but I don't need to set up some trucker's retirement fund.

Logan take a look at some of the plastic boat tanks they come in all sizes and gallons and get a small auto electric fuel pump and some hose to Reach the wing tank, you could plumb it in like a belly tank or coil the hose up in the float.

DW

yep

I fought that quite a bit last year. Found a can that will slip in the hatches (BARELY). They are the chainsaw cans they sell at AIH in Anchorage now. One side is for bar oil and the other holds the gas mix. Expensive can. But if you need a few extra gallons, they will work. I found the bladders and such to be like $200 so that wasn't an option. Anyone find a better way to skin the cat?

A friend who was handy with a MIG welder made a set of aluminum cans to fit through his hatches. Lots of work, but if you like projects....

MTV

6 two gallon oil jugs fit nicely in Edo hatches for an extra 12 gallons of fuel. Or 24 gallons if you fill both floats. Been doing it for years. Works just fine.

If anyone finds a good size can they can get down there let me know. Gas is your friend.

Torch said:
If anyone finds a good size can they can get down there let me know. Gas is your friend.

Donnie,

We posted at the same time.....see above post. If you want pics I can post themas well.

OK, my head is clear now. :)
It does make more sense to find/fab something to fit in there than to modify a float!! My head has been in reinforce/modify mode for a long time now.

So, there are some of you who've found cans that fit... can you give a name/source? Something i can google for??
TIA.

Logan is the hatch opening exactly 6" there's a nice spillproof PVC 5 gallon gas can that is 18.25Hx6.5Wx13.75D for around $20.

DW

Hey thanks Dennis, nice try. :)

StalledOne, that's NOT what I wanted to hear, but do you recall the brand name? 2 gals will be easier to get to the wingtop.

I reckon I COULD carry gas in the baggage like everyone else 'eh?
Imagine worrying about extra gas when I'm about as airworthy as a (dry) cowpie.

Hi Logan
I've been using 5 litre cans from Canadian Tire for several years.
Each side will hold 12 gallons and one large funnel,almost as fast as large cans. And easier to handle on the water.
Bernie

No John just .25" on each side of the hatch. were get'in closer to em fit'in now. a couple more post Logan and they should fit just fine.

DW

Logan: The only gas container that I have found that will fit the EDO2000 hatch is the Wedco W-120. It's pretty small at 1 1/4US gallons per container, but 7 of them fit nicely into the float, which gives me at least 1 hour more flying. Canadian tire had them, last time I checked.

Mike

pin said:
Hi Logan
***(snippage)***
Bernie

Bernie!! Hey, a W-Lake S'cubber!! I had no idea.
I'm with Mary @ the Nimpo Lake Resort, she says she knows/remembers you. (She knows everybody after 40 yrs here)

We'll haft'a get together, I don't remember you @ the Floatplane meets, do you come out to them? I bought my cub from Brian Reid when he moved to W.Lake, you must know him. It was ratty/timed out so cheap, and now I'm paying my sweat equity.

I'll be ground-bound for another couple months, but have a nice big new dock... (hint, hint). The lake is still hard but black so won't be long. Free room/board for cubbers/friends with a leetle notice.

See ya's (& that pilot wife of yours)!!

Hi Mike,
I'm wondering if 7 cans in the float or 2 big cans in the baggage is best. I've hated 5-gals cans ever since the first one I hefted up there, & I reckon it's less fun on a bobbing float.

Plenty of time fer me to worry about that stuff, I'm now concerned with the temp/humidity in the shop (aka hangar) :)

NimpoCub I went thru the same thing trying small cans ,soft sided cans and finally ended up putting on a belly pod. It was a Landis 18 gallon with dry storage and it works great. Forget the cans in the floats that is where you keep the wine and cheese to keep it cool.

You might look at 2 gallon jugs that oil or hydraulic fluid comes in. Some of them are pretty narrow.

Your best bet would be to sell your Edo 2000's and get a set of Baumann floats. You can drop three 5 gallon cans into each float locker and still have room for some gear.

The best float going for a Cub in my opinion.

http://www.baumannfloats.com/

Crash

Hi Jerry (I loved your museum(s) of the Rockies)
That might make good sense. Since I'd only need it for the odd looong trips, how long does it take to install/remove?

Hi Crash,
You talkin' those plastic jugs that I buy auto oil in? I (briefly) considered those, but looked too skinny to handle any abrasion/vibration. I could get Mom to knit some oil jug booties.

Yeah, Baumanns & Aquas have nice wide decks & hatches, but a friend here changed to Baumanns on his C180 & he suffered a lot on breaking free of the water. Does your mileage vary from that??

I've heard :) **that everything is a tradeoff, **nothing is perfect, **and a few others...

NimpoCub said:
Hi Jerry (I loved your museum(s) of the Rockies)

Yeah, Baumanns & Aquas have nice wide decks & hatches, but a friend here changed to Baumanns on his C180 & he suffered a lot on breaking free of the water. Does your mileage vary from that??

Hmm.....

Baumann doesn't make a float for a Cessna 180. The biggest float they make is a 2720 for a Maule.. If he has Baumann 2720's on a C-180, they don't belong there!

http://www.baumannfloats.com/floatmodels.aspx

My Baumann BF-2100's work great. I wouldn't trade them for any other float.

They get on step fast and off the water. Handle chop and step turn very well. Feet don't get wet when stepping onto the tails (tails don't sink). Fast in the air. Almost zero water in compartments over the entire season. Big flat decks to fish off of and walk on. Huge cargo compartments, I never put anything in the extended baggage. Double convex bottoms so no spray rails needed and very little spray. Lighter then any other Cub float.

Whats not to like.

Take care.

Crash

I've seen a few used sets of BF-2100's go for $15K. That is what I paid for mine with only 20 hours on them.

Some Edo 2000's are going for $12K and are 30+ years old.

There are enough used floats around there is no need to pay retail.

Crash

And what's wrong with 30 year Edos that are tight in good shape?
They didn't cost anywhere near 15K..........

Do you really fly your floats to the limit where the extra added performance of the Baumans let you get in and out of places I can't get to?

Sure they'd be nice to have under the Cub but I just don't believe I have been in a place where Baumans would have made a difference. Next time I go "damn, if I only had Baumans...." I'll let ya know and maybe spend that 15K.

StalledOut said:
And what's wrong with 30 year Edos that are tight in good shape?
They didn't cost anywhere near 15K..........

Do you really fly your floats to the limit where the extra added performance of the Baumans let you get in and out of places I can't get to?

Sure they'd be nice to have under the Cub but I just don't believe I have been in a place where Baumans would have made a difference. Next time I go "damn, if I only had Baumans...." I'll let ya know and maybe spend that 15K.

This thread was about trying get gas cans to fit through the tiny little hatches of Edo 2000's.

Edo 2000's have been the standard Cub float for the last 40 years. Not knocking them, I just feel there are better options TODAY when it comes to PA-18 floats.

New Edo 2000's are about the same price as new Baumanns. Used there is not that much difference when you consider the age of the floats and having to add another $3K for a gas pod to get the same range as other floats.

My choice of floats currently available would be...

#1 Baumann BF-2100'
#2 Wipline 2100's
#3 PK 2050's
#4 Edo 2000's
#5 Aqua 1900's

This could all change if Aerocet gets their 2100's STC'd. At that point everything might drop down a notch if they're light and durable.

Sorry my comment got your pants in a wad.

I feel the same way about King radios. They were good in their day, but it's 2008 and there are much better options available.

Take care.

Crash

I agree with Crash, to a point. The Baumanns are great floats, no doubt. On a Cub, though, the ability to legally go to 2000 pounds makes the Wip floats the stand out in my opinion, even though they are a bit heavier than the Baumanns.

It's hard to beat the performance of EDO 2000's, no doubt. That said, as Crash notes, there are OTHER benefits that can and should influence ones' float choice.

MTV

Crash said:
Hmm.....
Baumann doesn't make a float for a Cessna 180.

Hmm...
That story is several years old, I'm likely mistraken. Oops.

Wow...again...there sure is a pool of knowledge here.

I can only sniff at what I hope to afford & these last couple years' projects have crimped that a bit. Since I "have" EDO rigging, I'd like to find a set of EDO floats. Maybe we can argue this again when I can better afford other options. :)
Thanks y'all 'eh? (bilingual)

david jaranson said:
Torch said:

Donnie,

We posted at the same time.....see above post. If you want pics I can post themas well.

David. I am not familiar with the oil cans. The pic would be appreciated. That would help me a bunch on my trips to the Brooks Range. Thanks.

I guess that everyone with cubs on Edo 2000's around Lake Hood and Spenard must all be flawed in the decision process then because I sure don't see a lot of whips or baumans around the lake.

And what does "add 3K to get the same range as other floats" mean?

I thought range was determined by the amount of usable fuel in your tanks, not by what fuel you carry in your floats.

The few occasions when you want to carry extra fuel, you can with either floats, just in different sized containers. I was wrong, the ones I have are 1.5 gallon not 2. They sell at Walmart for $2.99. You can pack a lot in a compartment because they are small and can conform to the curvature of the compartment. They take more time to fill the tank but are more controllable when lifting them up over the wing, and less spills over water is a good thing these days.

What do I know? Only been hanging edos under the cub for 27 years.

There might be a better float but I have not been in a situation where I couldn't do something or had to turn around and cursed under my breath muttering "if they were only Baumans, Whips, or PK's......"

I do like the large flat decks, and I am sure the ducks around the lake would too. Just think how much more duck crap I could get loaded up on the top of the float !

The back of the float going under is a GOOD thing, it washes a lot of that off..................

Back