• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wheel pant brackets for PA-12

Jim Gevay

Circle Pines MN, north of St Paul
Hi, I'm trying to get some information for a friend that has a PA-12 and wants to mount some Consolidair model 17 wheel pants. He has stock 800 x 4 Cub wheels and needs a drawing or some where to get the brackets, if someone sells them. I just looked at them and they have 4 dzus fasteners on them for mounting. I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to help him out. I don't know a lot about Cubs as I'm a Champ driver myself. You guys have a great web site and I try to check it out whenever I can. Thank you, Jim

Do they look anything like the mains on the early tri-pacers....like this one?

pacer2_500.JPG

If so, I have a set in a box to ship out that have the brackets. I can take the brackets out real quick and snap a couple of photos.

Brian.

They look similar, but I think they are a couple of inches longer. He has a nice custom Super Cruiser and I think these old style pants clash with the plane, but it's his plane. Personally I think they are just big air scoops. But I don't know what else would fit on stock wheels. Jim
pants2.jpg

Yep, the early aluminum version of the same ones used on early Pacers / Tri Pacers.

Backplate looks like this.

Pant_brackets_004.jpg

Pant_brackets_002.jpg

Pant_brackets_001.jpg

As you can see, they are dead simple. Flat plate with a simple clamp arrangement around the gear leg.

To make it even more simple, I made a quick outline on a piece of cardboard for you, shoot me a address or give me a call at 541-826-9729 and I will get it mailed out to you.

Brian.

Thanks Steve, I thought someone on this site would know something about these brackets. Please send a couple of dimensions like thickness and size of bolts also. Send to Jim Gevay 9 Oak Rd. Circle Pines MN 55014. You Super Cub guys are pretty cool! Thanks again, and is there anything I can do for you? Jim

Jim,

They look to be about .062 steel. 3/16 (AN-3) bolts.
I would use the pattern to make a blank and then cut and fit to the
pants and airplane. Will probably need to R&R them several times until you get it right. Look at the pics while you are doing them, I will leave them in my gallery and I printed them out on one sheet of paper for your reference.

Next time you or your buddy has a problem with your or his gascolator, give us a ring.

Brian.

Sorry, I didn't realize your the guy with the gascolators. I've seen some pictures, they look very nice . Thank you! Jim

Yep, the early aluminum version of the same ones used on early Pacers / Tri Pacers.

Backplate looks like this.

Pant_brackets_004.jpg

Pant_brackets_002.jpg

Pant_brackets_001.jpg

As you can see, they are dead simple. Flat plate with a simple clamp arrangement around the gear leg.

To make it even more simple, I made a quick outline on a piece of cardboard for you, shoot me a address or give me a call at 541-826-9729 and I will get it mailed out to you.

Brian.

Brian,
Is the bracket that goes around the axle just edge welded to the plate? Do you have a better picture of this area?

I just got home from the airport looking over my plane. I don't see how these original PA-12/early tripacer backing plates will work. I have double puck Clevelands. Because of the rotor, the backing plate will not be able to go straight down to the axle clamp. Also, I can only mount the caliper on the front side of the wheel. On the back side, the caliper will hit the gear. My torque plates only have 4 holes, allowing the caliper to either be mounted on the front or the rear of the wheel.

I know most guys don't run wheel pants on their Cub but is there anybody out there who has them on their plane and if so, how are they mounted with Cleveland wheels and brakes?

Fender brackets

My J-5 piper with Consolidaire model 17 wheel fenders installed.
Not sure that this is the original mounting brackets for a cub.
Aurele

Attachments

• IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 143
I have 2 sets of PA-12 wheel pants each set with different mounting brackets I will send some pictures of both tomorrow.
EV

Back