• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fine wire spark plugs

benflyn

Starvation Flats, Wyoming
I see that autolite plugs are about half the price of champions??

Is there that big of difference in quality?

Performance wise are they the same?

Thanks

I was fowling my lower plugs when I would putt around at very low power for long periods of time so put the Autolite plugs in the bottom and they have worked perfectly. I just went through annual and they had a little lead (100 AvGas) but not bad. The top massive electrode plugs were clean........

I have been using the Autolite plugs for years and can't see any difference between them and Champions. The fine wires seem to last almost twice as long and have a lot less lead if any built up in them.

I just put Autolite fine wire plugs in my 1956 C-172 with an 0-300D motor.
The problem with oil fouling in the lower plugs has gone away.

Watch Aircraft Spruce for specials. I bought my set and got a $75 rebate card. They run this special fairly often. $75 will buy some oil....

Bill

Steve what is the cross reference for the plugs on the 0320?
Was thinking of changing both the cubs over and was looking for a show special at SnF.
John

Spruce emailed me some show specials for S&F on plugs. Same number with different prefix. I will get them and let you know.

I have put these in my last three airplanes - all autolite, and it solves all the aforementioned issues. If I were to buy a new plane today, it would be one of the first things I did. This does NOT replace learning how to properly lean your plane - even when you live at 900' MSL, but it sure cleans up any leftovers from carburetored engines that don't send the same amount of fuel to all the cylinders.

sj

Me too - it was here that I learned of that fantastic sale - under nine bucks each for the regulars. I haven't seen the fine wires at such good prices, but I have had great luck with fine wires on the lower holes in the super D.

From the AC Spruce email I got.

UNISON Receive a $75 Aircraft Spruce & Specialty gift card with every case order of Fine Wire Plugs (12 Plugs per case). Unison Slick kits with Autolite Fine Wire Plugs at Massive Plug pricing. A savings of $360 for a 6 cylinder engine or $240 for a 4 cylinder engine

Flying Miss Daisy said:
Steve what is the cross reference for the plugs on the 0320?
Was thinking of changing both the cubs over and was looking for a show special at SnF.
John

UREM38S Spruce p/n 08-01234

I just put the UREM40E Autolites in my 0320 160hp I didn't realize how bad the old plugs where, runs like I just had a overhaul.

DW

Back