• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gross weight increase for PA-11?

AviatorPA11

Fallbrook, CA
Guys, is there any thing I can do to raise gross weight for my -11? I know there is an STC for 12's, 18's and such. I love the -11 but I am 6'3 225 lbs, besides turning into an ethiopian, anything I can do? THanks

I have a -11, too. No gross weight increase that I'm aware of. One of the penalties you pay for having one, I guess. On the up side, pretty easy on fuel, which might be more valuable than high gross these days. Opinion.

gb

AviatorPA11 said:
Guys, is there any thing I can do to raise gross weight for my -11? I know there is an STC for 12's, 18's and such. I love the -11 but I am 6'3 225 lbs, besides turning into an ethiopian, anything I can do? THanks

Sell it and get a PA-18-95

I suppose we could acquire our own STC. Lots of paperwork. Might be able to do it based on the -95.

I've heard through the great cub grapevine that some PA-11s have flown at 1600-1700 lbs with no major issues....

jrussell said:
I suppose we could acquire our own STC. Lots of paperwork. Might be able to do it based on the -95.

I've heard through the great cub grapevine that some PA-11s have flown at 1600-1700 lbs with no major issues....

...once you raise the gross above sport pilot rules you cannot go back.

Tim

behindpropellers said:
jrussell said:

...once you raise the gross above sport pilot rules you cannot go back.

Tim

That was going to be my next question. That's the way it is for the STCs at present.

So, if you think you might fly under the LSA medical rule it is probably best to keep the mighty PA-11 as is.

The price 11 are bringing now, you could almost trade it straight across for a 18-95

S2D said:
The price 11 are bringing now, you could almost trade it straight across for a 18-95

Say, maybe that -11 of mine wasn't such a bad idea after all...

:lol:

G/W increase

Back in the old days I got a G/W increase to 1280 lbs on my -3. Same G/W as the -11. It was a one time only STC based on a lot of other mods. Still under the sport class weight. So it may be possible if you find the right FAA type. The fellow from Arizona that got the first O-200 STC that I knew of for the -3 and sold it to the big parts outfit went to Osk with the intent purpose of finding a area that would do the STC. That's where he took the airplane, got the STC and then sold it. Might be possible with the G/W. Who knows. Jerry B. :)

Reviving- I talked to a guy with a PA-11 recently and he said it was 1350 gross. He said the gross increase was included on the STC for struts and landing gear upgrade- and he didn't have to file anything else.

Does that sound right? I know little about these things.

No, it was most likely just 1220 which is the normal PA-11 gross weight. Earlier J-3 models had lower gross weights and you could take them up to 1220 by using newer struts and modifying the gear fittings and gear with larger bolts (going from AN5 to AN6 bolts) to get that gross weight higher. Univair has the piper documentation and drawings on how to do that mod although the PA-11 already has those mods incorporated.

Funny- I was just asked the same question.
Here is one - is the requirement for a header tank for the single tank PA-11 an AD or just a service bulletin?
I guess I could look it up - I need to post something else.

Funny- I was just asked the same question.
Here is one - is the requirement for a header tank for the single tank PA-11 an AD or just a service bulletin?
I guess I could look it up - I need to post something else.

Early 11s didn't have a header tank. If you made a long steep decent with less then half fuel it would quit running after using what little fuel was in the line. Tank only has a rear port

Glenn

Reviving- I talked to a guy with a PA-11 recently and he said it was 1350 gross. He said the gross increase was included on the STC for struts and landing gear upgrade- and he didn't have to file anything else.

Does that sound right? I know little about these things.

Yes 1350 on floats; still 1220 on conventional gear. Lazy Piper kept it like the earlier J-3. C. G. Range changes depending on engine installed.

Gary

Back