• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pilots gun goes off on airliner

jrussell said:
Fascinating. I was completely unaware that a penis is required to use/misuse a gun. Imagine that!

Now before you think I’m way out of line and lack of a penis isn’t relevant… Wait until the official ruling comes out. If in it, there is any resemblance of truth you’ll understand the humor. Perhaps not having a penis helped!

Still chuckling!

Lippy

Unfortunately, the pilots name and other details were released to the media. 55 year old male. Captain.

Bill

Hmmm… According to the media it looks like I was wrong. Guess I can tack this one up on the list! The media never gets it wrong do they? :howdy Naa, never… especially when reporting aviation related news events.

Lippy

Hiya' EverBODY -

Really surprised that NO ONE (even my fellows "pros") on the thread has picked up on a real KEY point.

The incident occurred at EIGHT THOUSAND FEET! See...we have this thing called "sterile cockpit". Sterile cockpit exists from THE GATE to 10,000 feet MSL and vice-versa on the way DOWN.

We ( I and my cockpit mate) are FORBIDDEN by regulation to even converse, much less engage in ANY activity not IMMEDIATELY and DIRECTLY connected with operating the aircraft. No superfluous talking. No reading ANYthing but a checklist. Not even filling out the logbook is allowed during this phase of flight.

Bet a week of my pay this was the end (last leg goin' home) of at least a THREE if not FOUR day exhausting "torture test" (trip).

And this....BOZO :nutz: .... in order to SAVE sixty or ninety seconds after setting the parking brake and shuting off the engines at the gate (so as to race out to the employee shuttle bus to the employee parking lot quicker) went ahead and started trying to pack away his "piece" when he had NO BUSINESS doing so.

Trust me on this. This fella' is in MEGA trouble :help with both the Company AND the FED's. :whis:

Cloud(youcanhavemygunwhenyoupryitfrommycolddeadhands)Dancer :anon

CloudDancer said:
Trust me on this. This fella' is in MEGA trouble :help with both the Company AND the FED's. :whis: Cloud(youcanhavemygunwhenyoupryitfrommycolddeadhands)Dancer :anon

More trouble than even you thought, Cloudy!

(CNN) -- An US Airways pilot who aviation officials say accidentally fired his handgun in the cockpit during a flight will be fired, a spokesman for a flight officers group said.

The airline has begun the termination process for Capt. James Langenhahn, said Mike Karn, vice president of the Federal Flight Deck Officers Association.

Langenhahn told police that he was stowing his gun in the cockpit of a jet preparing to land in Charlotte, North Carolina, last month when it accidentally fired. The federal Transportation Security Administration is investigating the incident.

Calls to Langenhahn's home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, were not immediately returned.

Don't Miss
Pilot suspended after firing gun in cockpit
In an e-mail, US Airways representative Morgan Durrant said the company's policies prevent it from commenting publicly on a personnel matter.

Karn said his group, which represents pilots who are federally trained and allowed to carry firearms on flights, will fight the termination.

"This was accidental not intentional," Karn said. "This is not the way to treat a long-term pilot."

He said he did not know how long Langenhahn, 55, has been a pilot for US Airways but said he is a veteran with the airline.

The bullet from the H&K USP .40-caliber handgun penetrated the left side of the jet's fuselage but did not hit any crucial wiring or instrumentation, the TSA said.

The gun discharge was the first public incident of its kind in the history of the Federal Flight Deck Officer program, which has trained thousands of pilots to carry weapons in an effort to improve aviation safety.

Created in the wake of the September 11 attacks, the program was approved by Congress as part of the Homeland Security Act on November 25, 2002.

At least he might have a better chance....ALPA wont be any help...As usual...

Ok, for starters I was :splat: *w*rong, Rong, Rong, Rong, with a capitol R. That said, would filing a NASA report do this **guy** any good? It’s my understanding that they are for the unintentional breaking of an FAR. It’s unlawful to shoot “from” an aircraft, but how about shooting “inside” an aircraft? It may seem nebulous but a smooth talking attorney might be able to get this guy’s butt out of a sling on a non-published technicality.

What do you think?

Lippy

Pat said:
At least he might have a better chance....ALPA wont be any help...As usual...

Oh I disagree Pat, I think that is about all they're good at "keeping idiots employed".

Hoo boy - what ever I might write about regulators could get this sent to R&R in a heartbeat. Now, if EVERYBODY on the plane were issued a handgun, would YOU want to play terrorist? Not me - - - -

12Geezer,

I've said since 9-11 that all TSA needs to do is go to the DEEP South, and hire a bunch of good ole boy kinda mean type 350 pound BUBBAs--the kind that are just itching to open up a fresh can of Whup Ass.

Each commercial jet gets one Bubba, seated in 1C (or 1D). Bubba gets a baseball bat, and the instruction that if ANYone (other than flight attendants) tries to move forward of row 1, Bubba is welcome to pulverize them with the ball bat.

IF, at the end of a flight, the plane isn't highjacked, and nobody goes forward of row 1, Bubba gets a motel room (and it doesn't have to be the Hilton, by the way) and all the beer he wants. Actually, you want him seriously hung over for his next flight, cause that way, he'll be extra serious about his whomping duties, being in a bad mood and all.

No training required, no guns required, no holsters required, and you won't even have to pay these guys.

And, I can guarantee you that NOBODY would even THINK about using the forward can, even, with one of those boys guarding it.

Makes about as much sense as any of the current programs, and could actually provide some in flight entertainment as a bonus....

MTV

This proves my theory on silly locking devices mandated by government agencies. Don't put anything in the triggerguard except your finger. And don't do that until you are ready to shoot.

I think he didn't have the device all the way unlocked, jammed his USP down in there with one in the pipe and BANG!! It went off as designed.

Either don't carry with one in the pipe or carry as God himself intended. Single action only with a slide safety (1911)

Flame suit on.

Back