Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Garmin GPS

Post Thanks / Like

New Garmin GPS

If my intel proves to be true....Garmin will be unveiling a new model called a 495 at Sun 'n Fun next month. It will offer all of the 496 features but without the XM weather capability.

This will capture some of the market share they are losing to users with 196 and 296 models that would upgrade to a Garmin but don't want to pay for the weather features.

Reported price will be $ 1595....probably with the usual Garmin airshow rebate....

Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the 296 it has more info on it then I'll probably ever use but it's a great unit, they but so much info in them now that sometimes I wonder if it's to much, you need to have your head out of the cockpit not running threw pages of data. my neighbor is a low time pilot I took on a short cross country about 200 miles he brought his new garmin with him, at about 150 miles into the trip I turned off his GPS and handed him the map and said where are we????? he was lost, the GPS is a great tool and I wouldn't be without one but batteries go dead and power fails so you better know how to fly without one.

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    DW - I couldn't agree with you more -
    Except the 496 is so trivially easy to use in the weather mode that you should probably check it out. METARS and TAFs (whatever they are) in plain English, and so easy to get that you scarcely interrupt your traffic scan.
    What you are thinking of is the 430-genre - so labor-intensive that one could easily lose track of what is going on whilst setting the thing up. The FAA-appproved stuff is simply too difficult to use and still stay aware - but the hand-helds can be manipulated with one eye outside!

Post Thanks / Like
    I always fly in unfamiliar territory with a sectional folded to the area and following my route with a finger.

I fly with a couple GPS's but the sectional has more detail and so far my finger has never lost it's signal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flynlow
    That's exactly what I do in unfamiliar territory, I love my GPS but Sh#t happens.

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    great news for international users like us where the XM Weather service is useless. Until now 296 was top of the line for us, no one down here bought the great 496 or 396 additional features due to the subscription costs. What about the AOPA Airport directory and the safe taxi airport diagrams, available for international airports?

greetings from Colombia
    Eduardo Oliveros
    PA18-150 HK470-G
    Cali, Colombia

Post Thanks / Like
    All the features currently in the 496 ( with the exception of XM ) will be in the 495. Compared to the 396 you would get the following:

Faster processor(5hz), AOPA's Airport Directory, Safe Taxi airport diagrams, private airport data base ( probably US or neither regions, etc), greatly enhanced terrain features, and no lag on the flight instruments page.

All of the above will certainly be a benefit to the International pilots.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Lou......your right,the 495 is on the Garmin website already......Herman.