Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gear travel

Post Thanks / Like

Gear travel

Changed bungees on stock s/c because thought the bungees where bad. Reason for thinking bungees where bad was the gear had no travel, figured they where old and dried up and had no stretch left to them. Put new 1080's on and still no give. Is the gear suppose to be this stiff? I would hope not. Whats a solution to the problem. Only use one bungee? any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure what you mean - "the gear had no travel"

The way I check to see if the bungees are bad - grab the struts where they attach to the wing and rock the plane until the mains come off the ground. If the shocks moves during this procces I change the bungees. Some times they are so bad you can't get the mains to move.

Post Thanks / Like

Gear travel

When you stand in front of the plane, how are the tires positioned? Are they straight up and down (or slightly closer at the bottom than the top)? This is how they should be. If they're splayed out at the bottom your cords are shot - which I know yours aren't. As stated above, good cords won't deflect by rocking the plane by hand. You'll need a little gravity assist to achieve this. Have a passenger watch the gear while you make a couple of harder-than-normal landings and watch for gear movement. I'd bet they're working normally. I've personally never seen cords get tight with age, they usually go soft and stretch. The only other thing I can think of is your gear is completely frozen in its fittings due to rust & corrosion, although I highly doubt this to be the case.

StewartB
    What's the definition of too stiff? How would you know?

If I push my plane backwards in an arc my inside gear leg will splay out. It happens on every airplane I've had the honor to push back. What's yours do?

Stewart

Post Thanks / Like
    They are that stiff uless your both your hydrasorbs are frozen and that is not to likely. The 12 gear rocks easier than the 18 so its tough to see them (1 move when rocking the wings back and forth. They will work when you need them. When you had it apart did you cycle the strut with out the cords on check for free movement?

citabrickr

Re: Gear travel

Quote Originally Posted by skyhauk80q
    Changed bungees on stock s/c because thought the bungees where bad. Reason for thinking bungees where bad was the gear had no travel, figured they where old and dried up and had no stretch left to them. Put new 1080's on and still no give. Is the gear suppose to be this stiff? I would hope not. Whats a solution to the problem. Only use one bungee? any thoughts?
    Well, you went and cut off perfectly good bungees. Good bungees won't show any play or very, very little. When bungees wear out there will be a larger and larger amount of movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    • When i had the old bungee which is sounds like they where still good but color codes revealed they where 1986 models, so don't feel to bad about replacing them. The gear its self moved freely without the bungees on as did the hydro shock. Need to super cub gear so didn't know what was normal. Have federal 3000's on it now. Just wasn't sure what was normal. When i rocked the wing had someone watch the bungees and hydro shock before putting the ***** metal covers on, talk about a pain in the ***, and no movement it just lifted the other ski off the ground. Seems like if its suppose to be like this that it will beat the airframe all up, guessing should try a couple of firm landings and see if they move, and seat the bungee?

Post Thanks / Like

gear travel

I was glad to see this post . I have been wondering about my cords that are about 5 years old and still no [ or very little] give in them. When they were intsalled , the tab broke on the tool that had been used many times to mount bungees. The tab flew off with such force that it ricocheted off the wing tearing a hole in the fabric and then hit the top of the hanger and dented the aluminum . The mech said they came from a different source than other 1080's I had used and figured they were a little overbuilt but would loosen up in time . They are still very stiff and make for very interesting landings .The only noticeable give is in the 800x6 tires ...I keep the pressure down . ....RC