• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Alaska Bristol Bay Fly fishing film

Bistol Bay

Out west on the Kvichak and the Naknek there is virtually no dry fly fishing to be had, The Rainbows spend all winter and early spring feeding on flesh and then move onto eggs when the run starts all over again. They really are keyed to the life cycle of Salmon. I lived in Fairbanks for 28 years and the fishing up there is very different. Glad to be back in Southcentral where there is so much more variety.

Re: Bistol Bay

dalec said:
Out west on the Kvichak and the Naknek there is virtually no dry fly fishing to be had, The Rainbows spend all winter and early spring feeding on flesh and then move onto eggs when the run starts all over again. They really are keyed to the life cycle of Salmon. I lived in Fairbanks for 28 years and the fishing up there is very different. Glad to be back in Southcentral where there is so much more variety.

dalec,

I weight a big brown nymph with a fine lead wire for river rainbows. I tie it out of beaver fur dyed dark brown and I use a turkey feather for the wing sac with some dark brown hackle for legs. I have given that to guys headed south and they say it is an extremely effective fly. I may have to come down and try some of my flies.

SteveE said:
Dang,,, you guys,,,,, Maybe someday I can come up and enjoy...

Not until you modify your behavior towards others!

You need to bring a note from Dave that you have been reformed :oops:, otherwise when we DQ up here, it is enforced by the brown furry river police like shown above :lol:

aktango58 said:
Not until you modify your behavior towards others!

You need to bring a note from Dave that you have been reformed :oops:, otherwise when we DQ up here, it is enforced by the brown furry river police like shown above :lol:

Ahhh,,, but wait till you meet me at Pierces,,,, I am just like those big ole brown teddy bears... me and the bears should get along just fine...:2gunfire:

Hey Steve
I'm thinking real hard on taking a smoker down to Graham this year--- or maybe I'll fly over to OK and ride down with you, Then we can do some real world testing on that new cub of yours. :evil:

DW

Steve,

You get up to Fairbanks in July the fishing trips are on me. That lake is primo trout fishing in July. By the way, we had the tank pressure tested and checked by the local gas tank pro at Chena Marina and it checked out great. I really appreciate all your help. One day I am coming down to Tulsa and buying you lunch. I need to come down there and go bass fishing with my brother too. That tank is going in the right wing.

newwings.jpg

Glad I could help,,,, at least I can say something I used to own is in Alaska,,, and will be helping catch fish,,, maybe I can make it someday... :D

Geez, the poor OP here sure had his thread hijacked about 3 ways. Its all good though. :lol: I might have mentioned I like to fish.

Damn Torch, looking real pretty, now your gonna have to do the fuse to match..........

JK

jk said:
Damn Torch, looking real pretty, now your gonna have to do the fuse to match..........

JK

Jim,

I know they will be a little off tint. At least I won't have the paint peeling problem this year. The fuselage paint is a little darker red. We used the same color of paint but it is a different. Might be the 20 years difference in application. It will work good. Corvette guys know that a little Zaino fisxes anything that has paint on it. :lol: I hope the color difference isn't as bad as it appears. We have those wings under flourescent lights and they can make a color look a lot different.

OK, I took the time to watch the vids made by some fish guide from Colorado who comes to Alaska in the summer and then takes his money and runs back south in the winter. I was not impressed.
I've lived in Alaska for 44 years, I've hunted, fished and trapped in the exact location of the Pebble. I don't think some kid from Colorado can educate me about a proposed mine in Alaska. I would invite that kid to spend about 10 years full time in Alaska. Lets say, Igiugig or Kakhonak would be a good choice. I doubt he could make enough money guiding dudes during the summer to live the rest of the year. Essentials are expensive there. The people who live in the bush can use the money they will get from working for Pebble.
I'm pretty familiar with the rules that EPA will require the folks doing Pebble to comply with. Believe me they are stringent. All the examples of the "BAD" mines given, are before the present rules. They are not pertinent in 2010. New rules, new ball game.

Realistically, with the money that is going to be available for the different guvment folks involved, you don't really think they pass that up, do you?
Unlike the fish guide who made the vids, I have no monetary involvement with Pebble.
What do you think? Have I educated myself enough or do I need to do further research? :D

'felt soul media'....

The made felt soles unlawful down here in South East Alaska because of the transfer of disease, hmmm...

Good thing that commercial fishermen are so environmentally consious, they would never use joy soap to disperse the 1/2 gallon they spilled every time they fuel up...

They would never leave all kinds of junk in the water that required lots of oil and minerals to make...

Cool float plane flying and fishing shots, does not take any environmentally harmful products to produce, use and enjoy...

The grand pobah talked here at Rotary yesturday. $125 milion and counting on research to see if it can be built. After 15 miniutes showing pictures, explaining the agency monitoring and current ideas IF it goes into production, his simple request was that people wait until they actually decide what, if anyting can be mined safely, and then make comments during the permit process.

A far more respectful request than I have seen from many.

Just received my DVD ,Lee Wulff Master Collections, Has a Super Cub on floats,on the cover. Been watching it and writing down the recipies for the flies. tyed 2 already. I also bought The history of Bristol Bay, and e-mail Sportman Lodge after I read it, Tolet them know what great reading this was.
I flyfish and Guide here in Texas,so it was a great read for me.

TJ,

Good to hear from you either way, you're a hoot and I usually agree with your opinions.

I based out of Iliamna for a few years, and trust me, you can't legislate "morality" when it comes to that particular mining company. They are foreign, they have an attitude--now they would appear to be PC--and when they get done cleaning up OUR resource--with no real meaningful profit for the Great State of Alaska or even the USA, there will be a huge hole left in the ground for us to clean up, and the potential of killing a LOT of fish.

I am against Pebble whole heartedly as are many of the locals that live in that area (except the ones who stand to profit of course). I was flying in Iliamna before Northern Dynasty, Inc. showed up en masse, and then during the ramp up, and they do not care, they may pretend they do care now but I saw so many things they did and said that convinced me otherwise.

And in regards to the Colorado boy filming his trip to Alaska...

You said you've been in Alaska 44 years, that's awesome. I'm just guessing here, but you seem at least a year older than 44 or maybe two?...:D

My point is, Alaska is like a melting-pot, most people come from somewhere else or "Outside", and all the Genuine Alaskans I know are a pile of giggles when they get to go to the beach and vacation somewhere warm in the winter! You can always tell an Alaskan, they are either pure White still, or bright red! :p

I love it when Hometown USA Folks come up to My beautiful home state to visit, especially when they are enthusiastic about Alaska and all it has to offer! I get excited talking about it to them, and showing it to them out of the Airplane windows...and ultimately it makes Alaska that much Greater in the process (NOT from my talking, but from their awe of It!).
What DOES irritate me to no end are people that come up and do NOT respect it--OR it's resources--or it's people and its ways; there is so much going on with that it's positively nauseating. Between the animal rights groups from elsewhere who are here to save a particular species, and the rich-kid teenagers littering all over the place I get just about fed up sometimes!

But the people who share a love and respect for the GreatLand and it's endless experiences will always feel welcome by me! That's how I was raised in the Alaskan bush, to be friendly and help your neighbor. And I think our Colorado boy is trying to show the World what is being risked here, and I applaud him for Caring about OUR State enough to do so. Glad someone's getting it out there.

BY the way, I'm sure you knew this already, but I was born and raised in Alaska, out near Chitina and plan to rot/freeze in my grave in Alaskan soil/permafrost. The only reason I've not been in Alaska 44 years is because I'm not that old yet. 8)

Besides, I love watching videos of Alaska in the summer mid-winter, it makes winter not so...Wintry. :)

Cheers!

RB

RedBaron said:
....I was flying in Iliamna before Northern Dynasty, Inc. showed up and..... ......

Hi, where are you this winter?

they, well not "they" but who they bought out(??comico??)... my stepfather was flying them around looking for a route for a road from the west side to it back in late late 80's/early 90's... been a long time in the thinking, looking phase....

I grew up in my teens/early 20's and graduated in Naknek and still not sure where I stand, but doubt they can do it safely,

really really doubt it...

Speaking of which..when Cominco pulled out they left a really nice air strip behind, from the Nushagak River -about where the King Salmon dumps in, about 10-12 miles east on a nice ridge.
Of course all round this old mine air strip they also left 100's of old 55 gal. drums and other crap...what a mess!

About the time they (Mine Co.) pulled out for good, the Caribou herd was growing like crazy. Historically they spent a good part of the time in the Iliamna basin, then as the Mulchtna herd grew they started spreading more to the West. In the early and mid 90's the strip they left behind just happened to be a great spot for Caribou hunting.

Fast forward a few years and now the Caribou have dwidled to almost nothing. However this is typical, herd grow and shrink....part the natural cycle.

However the irnoy is the old barrels, trash, debris, land scars and crap left behind from the original Cominco mine operation still litter the land to this day.

Ever been back East...seen the old time "strip mines"? Visited Montana?...such an awsome place w/ great critters and senery and plenty good wholesome folks, but my god - the destruction in some parts left behind from the mines is truley devestating......

Hypothetically, if they build that sorry mine and never spill anything harmful into the waters of the region, there is still a MASSIVE hole in the ground....for what? Answer........ding, ding, ding....we have a winner....the answer is ...>MONEY .....for some foreign company!

Having been born and raised in Alaska and, except for an unfortunate sojourn to Texas, having lived here most of my life (which is a bit more than 44 years), I guess I have a not so humble opinion about money and, in the case of the Pebble, mining.

That opinion is:

- going back to the '40's, Alaska has always had a boom & bust cycle of development;
- Except for the federally-generated boom related to the military buildup (and a sort of mini-boomlet after the '64 quake), all of Alaska's prosperity has been driven by resource extraction: in the interest of being clear, note that I didn't say of all of Alaska's "revenue", I used "prosperity"
- The engine for the development has been oil. Oil is running out and Alaska is rapidly becoming a less than attractive investment opportunity for the oil firms.
- If Alaska (and/or the feds) continue to make resource extraction projects difficult (whether those projects are Pebble, Red Dog, Pt Thomson, etc, etc), the money will simply go somewhere else.
- Without that money, we'll turn into the way Alaska used to be: of course, the knee jerk reaction is to say that's a good thing. Is it? No money for schools, limited tax base, industries that shut down with "termination dust", infrastructure that is non-existent or unmaintained, limited food shipments, no permanent fund dividend, etc, etc, etc.

I recognize that Alaska has changed. I enjoyed, back when I had hair and more energy, the opportunity to harvest a moose by simply picking one out of the bunch outside the cabin door. Today, I enjoy the ability to have natural gas heat, to go to the PAC, to simply go the grocery store to buy a nice bottle of wine, and city streets that are plowed reasonably quickly after a snow fall. Alaska is changing and, in most ways, IMNSHO, for the better, but that change needs funding, which again, comes almost solely from resource extraction.

As one of the previous posts said, Pebble wants a chance to prove themselves. Seems only fair to give them that chance.

I spent 33 years living full time in AK. For a living I have trapped, guided hunters, fishermen and led whitewater trips all over Alaska. As a pilot I have flown supplies and fuel for manny gold mines over the years.

From 1979-2007 I guided clients to the same place where pebble mine is now proposed. I have personaly walked over every square mile of the proposed mine and flown over it hundreds of times.

If pebble mine is allowed to proceed there is the possibility of a disaster that will let toxins flow into Bristol Bay and/or Lake Iliamna. The proposed pebble mine sits at the headwaters of worlds largest run of red salmon. Long term that could have far worse negative economic and lifestyle effects on the locals of Bristol Bay and Iliamna than they will ever gain from the pebble mine. If managed correctly the salmon, trout, moose, bear and caribou of Bristol Bay and Iliamna are a forever renewable resource. Pebble mine if it goes through will put that incredible and unique resource and ecosystem at risk.

I am not opposed to mines or developing Alaska's resources. I also have spent a lot of time guiding in the same part of ANWR that that the drilling for oil is proposed and I do not see much risk to the wildlife with that proposed project and I believe drilling on the coastal plains of ANWR would have minimum environment impact. My View on ANWAR makes the enviormental people mad as hell at me, but that is the way I see it.

The way I see it the location of the proposed pebble mine has too much risk. For the sake of a gold mine we are putting at risk the worlds largest run of red salmon and the ecosystem it supports! No matter how small that risk may be it is not acceptable to me. Personally I am not willing to trade 50 years of profit pulling gold out of the ground for the possibility of a disaster that could negatively affect the next 100 generations or more of Alaskans.

I am no longer guiding or flying clients in the Ilamna or Bristol Bay region so I have no vested economic interest in that part of the state. My interest is simply a love for Iliamna/Bristol Bay's special unique pristine enviorment.

I first learned of Lake Iliamna's incredible fishing and wildlife from my Grandfather and I hope to show the region to my grandkids.
My vested interest is hoping that generations to come will be able to enjoy some of what I have had the privilege to enjoy in the Iliamna region.

I hope and pray that pebble mine never happens

Jerry Jacques
Alaska Mater Guide #110

Well said Jerry, you've echoed my sentiments exactly! 8)

The only thing I might add is the fact that it's a foreign company doing the mining--and not a very friendly one in my experiences either--that is taking OUR resource from OUR land with very little profit to us as Alaskans...much less as Americans! That just irks me to no end. And when they're done, they leave a massive hole in the ground and a dam with a lake full of millions of gallons of cyanide and other chemicals at the headwaters of the Koktuli.

NO WAY.

I fly in ANWR every August too and I see no impact to it or the wildlife with drilling 40 miles out on the coastal plain. None at all, they should have started drilling already!

RB 8)

Hello RB

As long as I do not get extended on my tour of Afghanistan I am planing to be in the Brooks Range most of August.

Lets share a camp fire if you are near the Sheenjek.

Jerry

Back