• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Alaska Bristol Bay Fly fishing film

Iliamna Alaska
A new film just out!! Some of the best fly fishing footage of rainbow, pike, char and salmon ever filmed. Some nice Alaska flying and scenic footage along with wonderful shots of grizzly/brown bear fishing .

I just received my DVD copy, you can check out the previews at Castawayfilms.com. Order one you will love it.

Jerry Jacques

Sorry, I gotta pass on this one.
Does any of the film makers live in Alaska? Or are they just some of the outside crowd that come to Alaska to fill their pockets from other outside fishermen? When the snow starts hitting them in the butt, they pack their L L Bean bags and head back to California where they came from.
I still have not decided whether I'm for or against the Pebble mine. I need more info. I'm leaning toward letting the mine go for it. I think we have enough regulations in place to protect the environment.
I've seen all the guvment regs the oil folks have to comply with to provide us with gas for our planes. It's ridiculous. Funny thing, the oil companies do not pay, you do, every time you buy a gallon of avgas.
:angel:

There is a good article about the Pebble Mine in the January 2010 issue of Successful Hunter magazine. The author is Phil Shoemaker whom I've seen contibute to this site and is a Cub owner living in the Bristol Bay region.

Perhaps he'd post it here?

I've seen all the guvment regs the oil folks have to comply with to provide us with gas for our planes. It's ridiculous

My concern is there are not sufficient or similar regs for mining as there is for oil exploration. There is less state royalty, less requirements following abandonment, and no monetary reserve should the mining venture fail. They can walk away and the state is stuck with an environmental mess and a big hole in the ground. :cry:

Sharp

Spinner:
Shoemaker has a vested interest in the area. He is a guide west of the proposed Pebble site. If the mine does get approved, it MAY affect his profit from that business. Take that into consideration when reading his article.

Hi T.J.

He mentions that in the article; that he takes out a few hunters. He writes a regular column in that magazine and often has his Super Cub mentioned or a photo of it. Regardless it is a well written and well documented article. For example he points out that the foreign developers boast in their prospectus that they are not a US based corporaton and not liable for some of the potential cleanup regulations and fees that a US based company would be subject to. Also that it would be a cyanide heap leach mine of which there have been long term problems with here in Montana.

Whether you're for or against, it is a good read.

Hmmm. Watch a movie of somebody else having fun so they can spread their self-centered/one-sided agenda? I'd rather look at pictures of us having fun! Here's wifey and guide buddy Brody with another fly-caught King. It's tough work but somebody's got to do it!

chinook_2009_02.jpg

Pebble and Bristol Bay

Years ago when I was a kid I used to hear some old timer talk about having been in Alaska for 50 years and how things have changed. Funny thing is, that will be me next year. When it comes to Mining and the Bristol Bay region I can't help but have mixed emotions. I make my living because of mines and the heavy equipment they use, but I also fish trout and salmon out there. Having said that, I feel that all development projects deserve to succeed or fail based on their merits. We have ample environmental regulations, bonding requirements, permitting processes and the like, to ensure that a project begun today is done safely. In the end I don't much care whether the mine happens or not. But it should be decided based on its relative merits not based on someones emotions. Now, I think I will sit back pour a cup of coffe and let the :agrue: begin!

I trout fish in the interior of Alaska in the summer. I know the fish are all stocked but they are Alaskan trout that are stocked here. I had a great year up until the TFR's were in effect for the forrest fires in the area where I fish. It is not uncommon for me to catch up to 40 plus rainbow trout in an evening on my flyrod. Now I didn't see their video but I think I do ok for an Alaskan in Alaska.
Here is a pic I got a few years ago but this scene plays itself out every summer for me. I have caught and released trout up to 26 inches. Notice all the rises in the background. I have a dry fly I use that is killer for these trout. They can't resist scarfing it up. 9+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The 9 and plus signs are courtesy of our siamese cat. I was on the phone and she got on the keyboard. I think supercub.org is the first forum she has now posted on.

8b1cb4c1072ed1ded3deec9189d2af2d_2300.jpg

Nice pic, Torch. I like Rainbow fishing, too. I've never tried a lake. Give me a river to walk and fish and I'm a happy boy.

Unimak-HooDoo_08_056.jpg

Do you ever fish Char around Kotz?

SB

I hate to be critical, but I gave up on my video from my yearly donation when the mine (antimine) talk started. I expected a flying vid, and as soon as the politics came in, I turned it off. (sorry Steve)

Last fall I flew around the area they are talking about putting the Pebble strike, just to see what the fuss is about.

I can see that if they have problems with contaminats, the fish will have issues... But what about the hundreds of lodges with beavers gushing oil? what about the many villiages spewing sewage, oils etc. into the rivers around there????

Back when ANILCA happened, the environmental lobby got first choice on what they wanted protected. Now the back door "it is to critical to develop" attempt to lock up more of Alaska is just about as bad as being DQ'ed for laughing at STEVEE's photoshop work :wink:

Maybe what should happen is allow these mines to be stopped, but then the miners get to select equal acerage of existing wilderness/park land to develop for their mine since it is less sensitive than where the Pebble will be :p

At some point, if we keep locking up land, we won't have land to hunt/fish because we will be outlawed from flying into it. Just see the reception you get is most parks landing your plane!

SB and Torch- I am drooling!!!!! Great shots.

Thanks

Hey there,

Grant Wiswell here, owner of Castaway Films and the Producer of Equilibrium, The Last Frontier. We've been getting a few hits from Supercub.org so I figured I come on over to check things out. From the looks of things you have a tight knit bunch and a great community.

While I am a lower 48er, I have been to the Last Frontier over a dozen times in the last couple of decades. If I could convince the wife, you'd have one more person to add to the state census. Alaska will forever be close to the heart.

On a final note, I just wanted to say thank you, to each of you. I have experienced some of the most spectacular country on the planet because of Bush Pilots. Without your services, my Alaskan experience would have been limited to the likes of the Kenai, Yakatut, etc.

Thanks again and best to you all...

StewartB said:
Nice pic, Torch. I like Rainbow fishing, too. I've never tried a lake. Give me a river to walk and fish and I'm a happy boy.

Unimak-HooDoo_08_056.jpg

Do you ever fish Char around Kotz?

SB

StewartB I would like to fish some streams but we don't have any with trout in them north of the Alaska Range. Great pic. Yes, I do fish char north of Kotzebue. They are some great fish. Here is a pic I took of my friend on the Kelly River with a nice char. He held the world record for a couple of years. For anyone that knows him, that is Warren Thompson's Super Cub in the background. The guy with the fish is his son Robert. We had his Dad's Cub up there on the river that day.

rt3.jpg

Sweet! Looks like fun. Was your friend's record based on a line class or was it the overall biggest at the time?

I may have to go sort through my fishing gear just cuz. Only 3 1/2 months til Steelhead season!

Happy New Year,

SB

Bistol Bay

These pictures from this fall will show why I have mixed emotions about the mine out there. Either way i still feel that it should be decided on its merits.

I :D every time I think about 20 plus a day like these!

P9120174.jpg

[/img]
NiceBow.jpg

Nice shots. Beautiful fish. Beads, huh? I've got a couple of hundred but I still have mixed feelings about using them.

SB

Bristol Bay

N
Nice shots. Beautiful fish. Beads, huh? I've got a couple of hundred but I still have mixed feelings about using them.

SB

Thanks for the comment on the photos, the fishing is great out there. I finally gave in and fished beads for the first time this year. I can't argue with the effectiveness of them, but I really like fishing leaches and flesh flies better. Sometimes you just have to go with what works

:p

Dale

I didn't mean that comment to be critical. There's no disputing that beads are effective. I use them, too.

Stewart

I don't use beads either, my choice. The lepord rainbows of Bristol Bay Iliamna River are such beautiful fish. Here are a couple of shots from my trip to the Copper this last year

Copper_Bow.jpg

P7060731.jpg

Torch, I know exactly where you are on the Kelly, I LOVE that river for char. Here is a nice Kelly Char:

081806_0001.jpg

Wow, that dolly's a pig! More great shots. Especially the underwater pic. You guys are making my week! Thank you!

SB

Bristol Bay

This picture is for the people that never see Alaska. Here is a shot from the middle of the river at Brooks Falls in Katmai on 9-13-09. The only thing thicker than the Bears were the Fish. Fishing with the Bears is great fun but a little trying when they want to release your fish for you.

It is a great time in a great place and the Rainbow opener is only 6 months away, hope the cub is flying by then, can't wait!!!

P9130219.jpg
[/img]

Bistol Bay

Scooter

I know what you mean, the picture I posted earlier was for scenic value. You have to admit that the Bears at Brooks can sometimes be so thick they are just a nuisance. Why is it that the 2 year olds are always the ones that give you problems?

This Sow and her three cubs had us in and out of the water most of the day
P9130210.jpg
[/img]

Scooter7779h said:
When I fish the Brooks, many times they are a little closer:

DSCF0570.jpg

OR laying up feasted out on salmon

BearFamily.png

you really need a long lens instead of getting that close!...

:eek: :eek:

need a new thread, your great/best wildlife shots (living critters)

StewartB said:
Sweet! Looks like fun. Was your friend's record based on a line class or was it the overall biggest at the time?

I may have to go sort through my fishing gear just cuz. Only 3 1/2 months til Steelhead season!

Happy New Year,

SB

SB,

The fish in the photo is not the world record fish he had at the time. It was much bigger and I don't have a pic of that fish. That is just a so so fish we caught one day. I caught a bunch that day also but I don't have a good pic of any.

I don't get a chance to fish river run rainbows but some of these stocked fish are beautiful also. I caught this one in a very small lake that doesn't have many fish in it but when you get one it is a good one. I caught and released this fish. I was using a spinner to catch this fish. For anyone catching and releasing fish, a barbless hook is a must. Sometimes I am able to reach down and slip the hook out and never touch the actual fish. When you guys are fishing the rivers do you ever notice rises? If the fish are rising I have a killer fly.

biggt.jpg

Back