• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

WAD See through Hangar Door

On Patrol

BENEFACTOR
Wentworth NH" The WAD" NH96
We finally finished the face of the hangar almost and this is an expensive option but the light is great.

Wad_See_Through_Door_005.jpg
[/url]

Wad_See_Through_Door_008.jpg

Wad_See_Through_Door_009.jpg

This was not my idea it was George who thought it would be great. I did all the legwork and some custom trims were done in my shop.
I figure by the end of this year she will be all tight and done. Hopefully for as Laura coined it for the.......

Wadeverfest......
John

John, I like it. What are the dimensions? Where is it on the map? How big a trailer would be needed to haul it and how many guys would it take to remove it? 8) :wink:

The way I figure it it is too damn cold for you in New Hampshire in the winter time plus we have pile of this white crap that a Texan would die in.
But at the same time it is too damn hot in Graham all summer. Even Jason said with all those Texan beauties he was out of there.
So I figure the Pierce Family needs to have a summer place in the hills
( We call hills something over 1000 feet and were not made by a Waste Management truck).that does not exceed 95*F and a winter place in Texas as soon as you here Lee utter the word AYUH it is time to get him back home. This way all is happy and the Northeast gets a taste of the Pierce Craftsmanship.
J

Forgot the two doors are 46 foot x 12 foot high and the hangar is 50 x 70 with a 8 foot x 50 foot open shed off one side. Both planes are in it right now one behind the other facing out. My northern side door is full metal.
J

Pierce, fyi, that funny white stuff on the ground is known locally as "snow"...

FMD, we have to get Pierce back east for a snow machine romp. It has been exceptional this year.

We get a day or two of that stuff in Texas. :lol: Of course it turns 70 degrees a few days later and it all melts. :wink:

Texas summers? Why do you think we come to New Holstein every year and my work shop is air conditioned. :lol:

Wad_See_Through_Door.jpg

It is kinda a station wagon Steve. Got your bags packed. In the summer when it is only 80*F outside we open the door for Air conditioning and jump in the Baker River for extreme cooling alongside the WAD

I'd love to spend the winter in Texas and summers in Alaska but unfortunately I don't think I could afford a shop in both places. Cathy and I want to come up to your neck of the woods John, but in the summer when everything is green. :lol: She really liked the picture of you wife's flowers.

I thought this was your new shop and when you least expect it 15 of your favorite pilot friends show up when it is green. The flower garden was great it was Jen's first year at it and she worked way harder at it than I would have.
J

The light would be great! From the outside, are people able to view in? Any concerns of security if able to view from the outside?

Lippy

There's an outfit in Canada (I think) called Sunshine Door Company, and they do hangar and shop doors like that.... I think they're awesome!! As far as security, a lock only stops an honest man anyhow, Lippy... A friend had a hangar broken into by someone that unscrewed a piece of metal and kicked the inside insulation out, then unloaded the hangar through the missing metal (on the side of the building). They then put a few screws back in to make it look like nothing was wrong and it wasn't discovered for a day or two... A Smith and Wesson is about the best for security in my mind. :lol:
John

It is five thicknesses so it is partially opaque. In the picture from the interior there is a black Yukon parked outside.
John

If you are in a large crime concern area it is possible to weld a grid of steel on the internals like burglar bar. But as said what stops the thief from unscewing the metal building panel.
I agree with the S&W security system as fool proof.
John

Steve Pierce said:
I'd love to spend the winter in Texas and summers in Alaska but unfortunately I don't think I could afford a shop in both places. Cathy and I want to come up to your neck of the woods John, but in the summer when everything is green. :lol: She really liked the picture of you wife's flowers.

Well if you go in the winter give some notice... I would like to come up there and bring my er..snowmobile (snowmachine for you ak ppl).

Tim

jrussell said:
FMD, we have to get Pierce back east for a snow machine romp. It has been exceptional this year.

Jeff
There is no way anyone is gonna get Steve north in the winter. We've tried. Even promising we'll shuttle him directly from the airport to the potbelly stove in a heated van and all he has to do is drink beer and tell stories. ( and of course tend the fire all night so the rest of us can sleep)

S2D said:
jrussell said:

Jeff
There is no way anyone is gonna get Steve north in the winter. We've tried. Even promising we'll shuttle him directly from the airport to the potbelly stove in a heated van and all he has to do is drink beer and tell stories. ( and of course tend the fire all night so the rest of us can sleep)

Ha! We'll just have to acclimate him. First year we get him to Pzinck's Fly In, Second year we attempt the Wadfest. Third year we we go ski flying.

It truly is a sad thing the initial concern of mine, when viewing the picture, is security. We had a pile of Cub stuff stolen from our farm a few years back by a fellow Super Cub guy. (Don’t worry; I don’t believe he has posted on this site, but there are a few pictures of him.) Consequently, we implemented an appropriate level of security system, plus when we’re gone I hire a guy to stay here.

Problem solved!

Splendid hanger door nonetheless!

Lippy
:stupid

I am sorry to say that when George came up with this idea it did occur to me that I should weld some #4 rebar to the door internal 12 " on center. I am so lucky in that we are located next to a wood mill that during the day is very active. Most of the mill guys including the owner has been very positive about the WAD. We are fortunate in that as one of the guys lives just above the hangar and is looking out for it.
John

John,the wad is looking good.Does the new door help heat it up in the hangar? The 2 windows i have on the hydroswing seem to help alot.Good job over there.

John, looks good. You're lucky with all that snow. I have no snow down here. there was a flyin today up in the Adirondacks today for ski planes, I couldn't go. If we ever get some snow and you still have some I'll be up.

I like the idea of all that light coming in the hangar.

Tim

Lippy, everybody in the northern part of New Hampster knows everyone and their business. Pity the fool that breaks into that hangar. The locals would likely take action.... :lol:

S2D said:
jrussell said:

Jeff

Come on now, I went to Alaska in November. :lol: I can adapt just not sure if I could get used to it. My 6' 150 lb. body doesn't have much natural insulation. :lol:

Brian, I would have been there this year if not for a little conflict in schedule. :wink:

Yeah, it’s pretty much the same thing here in MN too. Funny thing is we got a tip that this guy was going to come back for another load of airplane parts. We called the police and they said “when he arrives then call us.” The guy we put in charge of security sat in the office of the hanger with all lights off with a base ball bat for two and a half days. He was looking forward to introducing himself and his bat. :rock: I was cringing because I’d be paying the attorney bills for this guy and attempting to have an explanation for exhibit “A”!

Funny thing is if the idiot just asked for the parts dad would have probably given them to him! After all he did take a hell of a big problem off of my dad’s hands… we won’t mention her name!

Ok, thread back on track. Nice hanger door.

Lippy

:stupid

Miss Daisy:
Could you please make your lawn pic smaller? I have to scroll to the right to read all the following post. I may not live long enough to read all the posts if I have to scroll to read all them. :D
Thanks Buddy.

It is great it is approximately an inch thick of 5 polycarbonate sheets. 25 mm. It does heat the hangar as I have not yet charged the Hydroswing cylinders on that side and the bottom of the door is swinging free. This allows snow in at night. By mid day the sun has melted it. So far I am a fan.
I need to silicone all the sheets to the steel supports in the spring but so far the few screws are providing the support I need along with the provided aluminum supports.
For those interested the sheets were supplied over the net from a company called Sundance Supply with offices in Colorado but the sheets shipped from Washington.
John

Very Cool!

For security a guy could do the top half out of that, and steel on bottom.

I have to disagree with the smith and wesson, they make very few shot guns, and for people at close range my 12 guage is a better bet!

We are looking at building hangers here, where did you get your steel?

I would like to get estimates, I like your size choice.

Back