• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Two Grand Ol' Dames of the Skies

CloudDancer

L. Ronstadt - J. Ingram Duet
LAST Monday was December 8th 2007. It was the Sixty-Sixth anniversary of the day after Pearl Harbor occurred in 1941. It was on that day, December 8th 1941 that a vivacious 20 Y.O. brunette haired girl kick started her Harley in the early morning darkness.

She drove out to Roosevelt Field on Long Island in New York City where she had learned to fly and kept her airplane. She flew two sorties that day off the coast of New York and New Jersey, a male observer with a bulky radio riding beside her.

It was her first two U-Boat patrols as a member of the newly formed Civil(ian) Air Patrol under the command of the U.S. 7th Naval District based in NYC and charged with putting a stop to the German menace off our coasts.

Long before I was even a twinkle in Poppa CloudDancer's eyes, Momma CloudDancer's antics and style ensured I would not grow up dull and boring.

So last week when I had the opportunity offered by some new friends, I jumped at the chance to give Momma CloudDancer a nice reward for helping me get all the books out on time.

DSC00210.jpg

YER' FAVORITE SCRIBE POSES WITH TWO GRAND OL' DAMES OF THE SKIES

DSC00211.jpg

PRIOR TO TAKEOFF I ENGAGE IN DECADES OLD GOOD LUCK RITUAL PRACTICED BY MANY PILOTS BEFORE DEPARTING ON MISSIONS.

DSC00213.jpg

I AM SIMULTANEOUSLY HUMBLED AND PROUD TO BE OFFERED THE RIGHT SEAT IN THIS VENERABLE QUEEN. PULL THE CHOCKS!!

DSC00207.jpg

MOMMA CLOUDDANCER "CLEARS TWO" WHEN IT'S HER TURN TO MEET BARBIE III UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL.

"Sentimental Journey" the CAF's B-17 and a P-38 Lightning were playing in the pattern that day too. Momma CloudDancer was 20 years old again, just as you have seen when any old veterans get around these birds.

The tears I saw her barely holding back were mixed, I'm sure. Joyous at the days events, and some pain that the young skinny army private with the twinkling blue eyes who had proposed to her 66 years earlier the night previous, was no where to be seen.

Or was he?

Thanks Mom. Thanks Dad. For Everything.

Your Son.
CloudDancer :anon

"Barbie III" is serial # 2 of the "H" model series B-25's and was built in 1943.

The other "Grand Ol' Dame" was serial # 1 (they broke the mold when they made her) in a slightly older line of models. (I KNOW I'm gonna' catch hell for THAT crack as well as the name of this THREAD anyway!!)

To learn more about "Barbie III" and her keepers please visit the Warbirds Unlimited Foundation Inc. at:

www.b25barbieiii.com

and tell 'em CloudDancer sent ya'.

CD :howdy

With all the ups, downs, rewards and disappointments of a career in aviation, you have one thing to be really thankful for this wonderful season - a very cool Mom.:angel:
I'm sure that all your admirers are now hers as well.
And, I'm equally certain that they will join me in wishing you both a very Merry Christmas!! :x-mas:

You put a sack over your Mamma's head. Shame on you! Be sure to thank her from all of us for helping process your orders. I bet she is glad stamps don't need to be licked anymore.

I'm sure she'll see the thread soon enough. You may all take great satisfaction in knowing that I will no doubt be suitably chastised for calling her a "Grand OLD Dame".

Let me get this straight...
She was 20 years old, had a Harley and an airplane???
WOW!!!
They REALLY don't make 'em like that any more!!

Yeah. Pretty impressive for a gal in 1941. Can't imagine what Dad ever saw in her!

"Liberated" all to hell LONG before they ever coined the word.

Back