• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

composite fixed pitch prop for cubs?

Phillip Elgin

N. Alabama
does anyone know if there is a composite prop that is fixed pitch for a cub? have not seen a fixed pitch composite on anything now that i think about it, just wonder if there's any development in this area that anyone has heard of.

Lots of small experimentals have composite props, usually ground adjustable: Ivoprop, etc. Kinda flimsy looking (wouldn't want to hand-prop one, might tweak the blade right off!) but they seem to hold up. Saw an in-flight adjustable (electric) Ivoprop on a 200 horse Velocity (Rutan boomerang), seemed to get the horsepower to the ground...er ,air OK but it did end up with some delaminating issues.

Rooster

Sensenich has a composite that is approved on the Legend LSA with a Continental O-200, but it is unlikely to be approved on standard certified airplanes.

In Europe there are fixed pitch composite props (MT?) that fit on J3 and PA-18 Cubs but as far as I know they are NOT approved here by the FAA.

John Scott

Try the "original composite"---wood. There are wood props certified for the Cub, and they work fine, and are just as light as most composite props.

By the way, many of the "composite" props are truly composite, having a wood core, covered by a fiberglass or kevlar sheath, and a metal leading edge.

Wood works fine, and its' light.

MTV

Sensenich is selling a ground adjustable composite prop for the small continentals and the lycoming o-235 right now. They plan to add the 320/ 360 series soon. I looked at it recently and will order the 76" version as soon as it is released. It appears to be very well made and the blades can handle aerobatic loads. I really like the idea of being able to change the pitch according to the conditions. Yes- it will be type certificated and best of all it weighs only 12-15 pounds. Seems like the price is in the 2500-3000 range.

acroeric,

Did they tell you that the prop would be certified? I talked to them (Sensenich) while at Oshkosh and they said they had NO plans of certifying it. It was a very nice looking prop.

WW

I have a snesnich on my airboat.

It is great!!!!

brush does get cut by it on occation :drinking: :drinking: but that is only when other are driving 8)

It holds up great, and changes colors many times with not difficulties: Green like alder leaves with brown highlights from bark! :lol:

I would love one on the cub.

Yes- I spoke with Ed at Sensenich a while back(2-3 months) and he said that they were planning to eventually certify it. I think that the 72" prop for O-200's has been shipping for a few weeks. I'm holding out for the 76" prop for the clipwing.

The method for adjusting it is dirt simple and for me- being able to fly acro at a fine pitch then adjust it for longer flights would be great. My prop will go on a modified O-200 (C90 cam, ,C85 pistons, balanced, flowed etc) that should put out 115hp or so. According to Sensenich their tests showed it to be more efficient than any of the metal props they tested. Below is the last E-mail I got from them

Hello All!

We ended up being a little late getting the props out the door, but we are finally making deliveries of the O-200 propeller. In the next week or two, we should have everyone's prop delivered. If you are considering purchasing a Light Sport Aircraft with an O-200, make sure you specify a Sensenich Ground Adjustable!

I believe our next step is to finalize the 72 inch prop on the Lycoming O-235 series engine. We should be following that up with the 76 inch version for both engines.

We have also posted a video showing how easy it is to change the pitch of the prop. Take a look at it and let us know if you have any questions.

Here is the link for the video:

http://www.sensenich.com/videos/Change_pitch.wmv

Ed

CarlM said:
Will the composite prop hold up to erosion the floatplane environment?

Car

Better question is....does this prop have some kind of leading edge guard like the MT props to reduce erosion from seaplane use.

hi, I've been reading your posts for last year (at least) but this is the first time I post something up.

http://www.cubcrafters.com/news_item.aspx?id=152

I received this on Friday with cubcrafters' news letter, so I checked out the sensenich web page and found this:

http://www2.sensenich.com/direct/propdir.htm

According to that, the ground adjustable composite prop should be legal on LSA's with the O-200, O-235 or IO-240 engines.

I know that for a non-LSA certified aircraft, such a mod should be approved by an STC that specifies the engine and airframe, but I'm not sure the same rules apply to LSA in terms of STC's, any input on that? If Sensenich says it can be installed on O-200 engines, does that mean ANY LSA with an O-200 can be fitted with one?

rookie cubber said:
I know that for a non-LSA certified aircraft, such a mod should be approved by an STC that specifies the engine and airframe, but I'm not sure the same rules apply to LSA in terms of STC's, any input on that? If Sensenich says it can be installed on O-200 engines, does that mean ANY LSA with an O-200 can be fitted with one?

Only person that can approve a mod on a LSA is the manufacturer.

The wooden props are so much smoother than a metal prop. I have a wood prop on Susie's -11 and a metal prop on my J-3. As soon as I find someone that wants the metal prop bad enough to trade for a new or nearly new wood prop, the J-3 will have a wood prop too. I even have a wood prop on the 200 horse power Fairchild. ...Clyde

Clyde and Susan said:
The wooden props are so much smoother than a metal prop. I have a wood prop on Susie's -11 and a metal prop on my J-3. As soon as I find someone that wants the metal prop bad enough to trade for a new or nearly new wood prop, the J-3 will have a wood prop too. I even have a wood prop on the 200 horse power Fairchild. ...Clyde

Is that an Aeromatic prop on your Ranger-powered 24? I've heard of them throwing blades, and it ain't pretty. Usually some combination of rusty screws & rotten wood. I'm sure you're already on top of yours but thought I'd mention it just in case......

Eric

Nope, it's a Sensenich that looks just like the one on the PA-11 except a lot bigger. The Fairchild did at one time before I got it have an Aeromatic propeller but that was changed before I bought it. ...Clyde

Back