Thread: 26" goodyear tundra tire

Post Thanks / Like

26" goodyear tundra tire

I see that Desser has 26" goodyear smooth tundra tire for $483.95 including tube !!! how are these tires compared to 850 x 6 or the 26" abw

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed them on my cub a few days ago. Another member on this site suggested that I give them a try as he has had them on his cub for awhile and liked them. I fly primarily on pavement and so needed a tire that hopefully will not wear out too quickly. While I would love to have a nice set of 31" bushwheels, I can't justify them yet with all of the pavement operations that I do. In short, so far, I really like them

Brian
    "Why is it wives can't just accept the biological mystery of guns reproducing in gun cabinets, and let it go at that?" - Patrick F. McManus

Post Thanks / Like

26" GY tires

Are these tires mounted on 3" extended gear or on the standard gear?

Could you upload a picture? I have a set of worn out 8.50s on my plane and will be looking at replacement tires soon.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a picture of a Goodyear 26" next to the Alaska Bushwheels 26".

Lots of difference in size.

Bill

Likes skukum12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the difference in weight: 26" GY with tube ($970/pair) versus 26" BW ($2700/pair) versus 26" BW-Airstreak ($2K /pair) ?

Rooster

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also like to know the relative weights. Are the Goodyear tires STC'd for the Cubs? ...Clyde Davis

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Bill i can really see the "lots" of difference in that Esher photograph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both my cub and Georges have the 26" Goodyears. I have found the difference in flying with Steve on 31" ABW that he has a tremendous more movement in his tires when we landed on a gravel bar. I do not know how I would stack up against the ABW 26". The Goodyear's do have an STC that I purchased through Vera at CC.
    Overseas Guy Cliff has now operated on both I wonder what he feels about the difference.
    I also know that a fellow instructing off a partially paved grass strip wore out a set of 31"ABW'S in the first year. Come to find out the operations on the pavement while taxiing was blamed for this problem. But that was a costly realization for him. I understand that the folks at ABW gave him some relief on the replacement but it was still costly.
    While I would like to try a set to go between both cubs I think new seats in Miss Daisy are in order first.
    Thanks
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    8.5 w/ tube is about 13.5 pds each
    26 GY w/ tube about 26 each
    26 ABW no tube required is about 26 each
    Note that the ABW tire is much larger for the same weight

Lots of info on tire weights on this site. Search tire and weight.

Hope this helps

Bill
    Likes yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I know an old guy in Kotzebue that has been flying Super Cubs since I was a little guy. He has the Goodyear tires. I asked him about them and he said they get him in and out of places just fine. There are places he goes that no one else wants to. I think a pilot's skills and proficiency has more to do with getting in and out of places with big tires. But I am a float guy so what do I know. I trust the old guys that have been doing this for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alaska_Rallyer:
    If you could angle the lines so that the lower parallel line intersects the axle center in both wheels then it can be seen that there is actually not much difference in the size. The big difference is price and perhaps performance. ...Clyde Davis

Post Thanks / Like
    I was warned when I bought and installed the Goodyears to be careful about spinning a tube and slicing the valve stem off. I have marked the the sidewall in relation to the hub. I keep the pressure at 8-10 PSI and normally watch it.
    My flying skill has not progressed beyond these tires and honestly I like them.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Overlaying the lines on the comparison photo is indeed showing the difference between the tires. What some posters don't realize is that the pic illustrates the big difference between a tire that is genuinely 26 inches tall and one that only claims to be.
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    The center of the axial of the Bush Wheel is almost 3" above the axial of the Goodyear wheel axial. If you measure up from the axial center of the Goodyear tire/wheel to the lower line and then measure up from the top of the Goodyear tire to the upper line, the difference in the two measurements is the difference in the diameter of the two tires. There is an optical illusion at work here too. If you put the BW tire behind the Goodyear tire the difference will not seem so much in spite of the different axial position. ...Clyde
    Likes algonquin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    WWHunters Champ just went on 26" Bushwheels
    Just what the hell is a Super Champ

“We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

Post Thanks / Like
    CAUTION: YOU ARE ENTERING THE PERSONAL OPINION ZONE:

I have worn out 3 sets of 26" goodyears, and two sets of 31" Bushwheels.

Based on my experience, I will replace my current cord exposed 31" Bushwheels with a set of 31" Bushwheels.

Yep they cost more, yep I really don't need them, but BOY HOWDY do I like having them on the plane.

sj

P.S. Bill, Wup, & Nicole - Please don't ship these new tires yet, I am in a state of austerity at the moment and will continue to cruise around on the cords for a few more months...
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you saying Steve.......Size does matter

Post Thanks / Like
    John Meade,

That was me throwing the prop in reverse that caused you to feel the forward pitching moment...

I have never understood people complaining about BW's being too draggy on hard surfaces. Never really had any problem with that myself. You are trying to get stopped... drag is good....

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Miss Daisy
    What are you saying Steve.......Size does matter
    So I keep being told... over and over again...

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    See---I KNEW IT!!!! Steve HAS been having waaaayyyy too much fun. Either that or he's really hard on tires.... .

Steve, I'm with you on the "grip" of big tires on paved surfaces. Yes, you have to be prepared for a bit of grip when you first touch, but it's certainly manageable and as you say--the point is to stop.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    With the flying I've been doing lately, I put my 26" GY's back on just to gain that 2 or 3 mph back. BUT they're coming back off and the 31" ABW's are going back on. I just can't stand the way everything feels rough on the ground with the GY's and I don't want any PSI crap, they're just plain harder than ABW's. When I wear out my ABW's I'll do like Steve and buy another set. To me, there is NO comparison. But if I have to work a lot of asphalt I'll throw my GY's on. I didn't know you could wear a set of GY's out, Steve must be doing burn outs . The stress that ABW's relieve from the airframe alone is worth the $$ not to mention it makes your Cub look really HORNY . Super Champs even HORN up

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the guy that took the photo that Bill Rusk posted (with my cell phone). There's no "optical illusion". The ABW tires are a lot taller and wider than Goodyear 26-inch tires. They actually do stand 26 inches (or more, depending upon pressure) rather than 23-24 for the GY.

Yes, it's true that the GY has Mark Rusche's -12 sitting on them, so are somewhat compressed. Even so, the ABW tires *are* mo' bigger.

Are the Bushwheels worth the extra two kilo-bucks? That's entirely up to the buyer.

Jon B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BK Fox
    I fly primarily on pavement and so needed a tire that hopefully will not wear out too quickly. While I would love to have a nice set of 31" bushwheels, I can't justify them yet with all of the pavement operations that I do. In short, so far, I really like them

Brian
    Do they actually work on a Gulfstream ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Do they actually work on a Gulfstream ???
    Only if I put them under some of the passengers bags

Brian
    "Why is it wives can't just accept the biological mystery of guns reproducing in gun cabinets, and let it go at that?" - Patrick F. McManus

Post Thanks / Like
    14 year old thread…. Revival time

Does the Goodyear 26” tire come in a tube option? I can’t find any that are not tubeless…. Matter of fact none are in stock, but trying to get on the backorder list

Post Thanks / Like
    You use an 850x6 tube. With conventional wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    You use an 850x6 tube. With conventional wheels.
    The wheels I ordered have stem holes, so I assume that is what you mean by conventional wheels.

From what you say the tubeless tire works then?

I am trying to order my stuff for the build

Edited to add: Isn’t an 850 x 6 for a 22” tire? Sorry for all the questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Standard Cleveland (or equivalent) two piece wheels. 850 tube. It’s how it’s been done for as long as I can remember, including back in the ‘90s when I had that setup.
    Thanks Utah-Jay thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What Stewart said. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a Goodyear run without a tube. That 850 tube just balloons up inside the tire casing.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Thanks Utah-Jay thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you pulled the trigger Jay, the Goodyears are a real good all around option for the Bearhawk if pavement is involved.
    Hit me if you want, I'll make some suggestions.
    Likes Utah-Jay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post
    Glad you pulled the trigger Jay, the Goodyears are a real good all around option for the Bearhawk if pavement is involved.
    Hit me if you want, I'll make some suggestions.
    Thanks Dave

I will be on both pavement and plenty of Utah dirt. At this point it all seems overwhelming.

I’ll send you an email

Post Thanks / Like
    The 26 inch Goodyear tires were designed for and used on the Goodyear blimps. In that application, they ARE a tubeless tire…..the blimp wheels are designed for tubeless tires. Goodyear decided a number of years ago to market those tires to the fixed wing community. In THAT application, they are used, as Stewart said, with 8.50 x 6 tubes, since our wheels are not designed for tubeless tires.

I recommend use of natural rubber tubes.

MTV
    Likes Utah-Jay, wireweinie, skukum12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell us more about natural rubber tubes? I just crammed the 8:50x6 tubes in there and never looked back. We have six months' experience with them, and other than affecting the trim slightly and making it harder to fuel and get in/out, I have no complaints. We run them at 20 psi, since they are only for "appearance."

Post Thanks / Like
    Natural (non-butyl) rubber stays flexible to a lower temperature than the less expensive butyl rubber tubes. Mainly just affects pilots flying in colder climates although the natural rubber tubes from what I've seen are of a higher overall quality and are less prone to splitting seams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post
    Natural (non-butyl) rubber stays flexible to a lower temperature than the less expensive butyl rubber tubes. Mainly just affects pilots flying in colder climates although the natural rubber tubes from what I've seen are of a higher overall quality and are less prone to splitting seams.
    Yes, natural rubber tubes are higher quality. I know three folks who bought brand new synthetic tubes that split almost immediately. Probably a manufacturing thing as opposed to the material, but, be forewarned…..

MTV
    Likes Crash, Jr. liked this post