• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental Cubs

Seacrane

Friendswood Texas
Howdy, I'm new to the forum. I'm in the acquire tools, set up shop, plan project phase of building a Cub. Y'all will be hearing alot of questions from me in the course of the next few years. This is my first one; does anybody have any thoughts they would like to pass on concerning the Rotec R2800 radial engine

Seacrane,

First of all WELCOME TO THE SITE! :howdy

There is a LOT of information on the site and a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people. Most of the questions you can think of have already been answered SOMETIME in the past 7 or so years this site has been around. Get real familiar with the search function and it is amazing the information you can turn up! :eek:

I'm not trying to pass off your question, the Rotec has been discussed here before, just not recently. I haven't heard much (good or bad) about the engine for a while. I think the consensus was that parts availability might be an issue that many on here were not willing to endure.

If the search feature doesn't turn up the answer you are looking for, don't hesitate to ask and surely someone will give you their opinion! :lol: :wink:

John Scott

I have a Rotec R3600 9 cylinder radial that I will be putting on an experimental replica PA14. I think it should work out just fine. The CNC work on the engine is very nice. The weight is comparable to an O320. It will swing a longer prop of 83-86 inches. It has a 3:2 PRSU which means that the engine will turn at 3000 rpm and the prop at 2000rpm. The Rotec company has been pleasant to deal with. They say that most of the replaceable engine parts are standard off the shelf. Time will tell as to its durability. It does have some special operations needed at start up, uses automotive plugs, motorcycle oil, has dual ignition with one side being electronic, an oil filter, and alternator included. I designed an engine mount to bolt onto a standard fuselage mount with the swing out feature of a PA18. It was fabricated in Australia and looks to be done very nicely.

Best wishes and good luck,

Thanks for the feedback guys. My plan is to build Wag Aero J3 with a Rotec R2800. It looks like Tom Kozura and Larry Bauer of KOZ Aero have thought of this combination before me. What y'all had to say about the little engine echoed everything else I've been able find out. I sent Rotec a 10%
deposit a couple of weeks ago to lock in the price, so I'm commited to this engine choice. Haven't made up my mind about much else except that it's gonna be an ELSA J3. If y'all was starting one from scratch what would be the neatest set up; wood/metal spars, wing tanks/fuselage tank, long/clipped wing, Cub/Taylorcraft airfoil, ect ect. Just want to hear y'all's pedjudices and humble opinions.

"People who don't read the newspapers are uninformed. People who do read the newspapers are misinformed." -- Mark Twain

Back