• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fossett, new lead...

Clyde and Susan

BENEFACTOR
"There are new leads in the search for missing aviator Steve Fossett. The Air Force says it has spotted what could be Fossett's possible flight path. The adventurer's been missing for more than three weeks. The area they are looking at is about 100 miles southeast of where Fossett took off. Crews will search on foot and by air this weekend. "

I have to wonder why this surfaces now. They would have had this information all along. I am guessing it's from recorded RADAR. ...Clyde

I'm not sure what the terrain is like in this new area, but if he were flying low in a mountainous area or in and out of canyons it's not likely there would have been a good radar track on him. Our military crews use terrain masking all the time to avoid radar. The result would likely be the same if he was flying with his transponder off -- remember he was flying a rag and tube airplane that doesn't make for the best radar return by itself. The new information may have come from satellite imagery or other sensor sources that required some time to process. Additionally, because of the sensitive nature of some sensors, it may have taken this long to get approval to use the data.

CNN is reporting some hikers found items belonging to Steve on Tuesday near Mammoth Lake. Sounds like the search is on again.

Apparently they found three forms of ID belonging to him near Mammoth Lakes, CA.

MTV

mvivion said:
Apparently they found three forms of ID belonging to him near Mammoth Lakes, CA.

MTV
Good thing some High school kids didn't find it along with the roll of $100 bills. We'd never know and they would have beer till spring.

Not necessarily true Snurt. I was once a high school student. A loooong time ago :-? Once found a large bank bag in the middle of a rain soaked highway very early in the morning. It had a company logo and a bank name on it and was rather FAT. Also had a plastic seal on it--yes the temptation to "peek" was very strong :eek: However I returned it, intact, to the company. Seems their delivery truck driver had forgotten it on the tailgate of his truck and drove away. Did not even get a "thank you" but knew I did the right thing. Yes I'd do the same again!!!!! :D Sure hope this find brings more information. Recently flew near the area and found the vastness overwhelming.

Searchers find wreckage possibly belonging to Fossett

Searchers find wreckage possibly belonging to Fossett

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/02/steve.fossett.search/index.html

The Madera County, California, Sheriff's Department said the wreckage was spotted Wednesday during an aerial search of the area where a hiker had discovered identification with the missing aviator's name.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7647732.stm

Teams searching for missing adventurer Steve Fossett have spotted what looks like the wreckage of a plane in eastern California, local police say.

An aerial spotter made the discovery late on Wednesday, and teams are going to the area to investigate, a Madera County Sheriff's spokeswoman
......said.
But Erica Stuart, a spokeswoman for Madera County Sheriff's department, said what looked like plane wreckage had been spotted late on Wednesday night.

"Our teams are going in to that area, and we hope to know whether it is really plane wreckage, and if it is Fossett's or someone else's, by morning," she was quoted by the San Francisco Chronicle as saying.

Latest news reports indicate they found the wreckage but no body.
God Bless him and his family.

Bill

Back