• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Beavers and Grizzly's in Alaska

Iliamna Alaska
4 clients and I flew the Beaver (DHC-2) to  the Kukokel river to fish. There is a short place to land a float plane on the river and the lodge has a boat cashed there. When we got close we could see a Grizzly bear in the middle of the landing spot, she was fishing for salmon. I added a little more flaps pulled back on the power a little more and slowed the beaver down and landed 100 feet shorter than normal. Then taxied the plane rite next to the bear she did not like the plane or the 9 cylinder R 985 Pratt engine and swam to shore. When she got to shore 2 cubs came out of the willows and ran next to her as she half ran half walked down the river bank heading for the boat. We were also going down river and stayed 50 yards from her. After 45 seconds she was next to the boat. This was the same sow with the trouble making twins from last year that kept eating life jackets and pooping in the boat. Ever had to clean a mixture of fish, white closed cell foam, grass, Orange nylon and berries. Yuck what a mess. I was pleased to see how much the cubs had grown since last September.
As I taxied in to shore the boat was between the plane and the 3 bears. Momma Grizzly jumped rite into the boat started jumping up and down with all 4 feet stomping like a kid throwing a temper tantrum, then she grabbed a 5 gallon plastic gas can in her mouth and threw it out of the boat.. The full gas can flew at least 30 feet onto the tundra then she did the same thing to 2 more full 5 gallon gas cans. Then she jumped out of the boat and ran to the cans and stomped the cans into the tundra. She then looked at us for a moment, I think she stuck her tong out at us then showed us her middle claw. Last she turned here back on us and wandered off with her cubs following behind her. I had to stop laughing before I could beach the plane, After tying the plane up we went to see the cans , they were half buried in the tundra and 2 were leaking gas where she had bit holes in them. Even at $6.98 a gal with 6 gal lost I can still not stop laughing
I am stilll laughing so I thought I would share this with the rest of you

Jerry Jacques[/b]

hey Jerry good story.i think i can beat that story when i was going to my truck to go to work i left my window down and had a new friend a big raccoon i think he new he was in the wrong truck after i pissed my pants lol i was bound and deter men to make a new hat he got away he found my sandwich i left in my truck.is john Burton up there yet .marc

Jerry tell john he one lucky guy bring lots pitchers back see you guys when you get back to the lower 48 stay safe Marc

damn bears

We live in between 2 salmon streams and if we are not diligent the buggers chew-up every gasline,bouy,lifevest,bucket,etc etc. The mere thought of a Zodiac or Avon is more than we can handle.

Bears

Several years ago, a friend that I worked with said he had a fish camp on a river in Alaska. They were licensed to catch salmon in a net and fly the fish out to sell. They had a runway built, camp set up and a three wheeler Honda with trailer. While flying some fish out no one was left in camp. When they came back a brown bear came in and the first thing they think it bit into was a spray can of paint. Guess it got pretty mad, it destroyed the whole camp site, even riped the tires off the three wheeler. He said he was glad they were not there.

Bill

'Nother critter story. Used to have chickens. One rooster, a wild fowl, did not like my buddy. My buddy called him L.B. (little b*st*rd) and would fight him with his foot. That rooster would see him and come running for another round. When we turned our backs on him, he would spur my friends legs. LB did NOT like my friend. One summer day buddy came over in his '81 subaru (the '81 Subee). We left in my truck for the afternoon. We returned 3 or 4 hours later. We hung out in the driveway and were wondering where LB was. When he went to get in his car, which he had left the driver window down, he was in for a surprise. There, on his 'texas leather' seat, where 5 piles of LB poo, all in different stages of age. He had made several trips to buddys car to releive himself. Then, decided he probably should remain hidden when we returned. Who says chickens aren't smart?!

Beavers and Grizzlys in Alaska

My dad had a rooster like that.The SOB would run up behind you and spur the back of your leg.It went after his little granddaughter one day,big mistake.I didn't know a rooster would fly that far when when you hit it with a 2x4!

when i was a kid backseat in my ol' mans j3 he used to make me run the runway to scare the caribou off, taxi down and pick me up. never trusted those stupid critters enough to taxi thru them. but they never ate our gas!

I had a rooster like that. He used to hide under the car in the driveway waiting for someone to walk by. Then he would mount the persons leg, inflicting his damage before running away.

'Nother critter story. Used to have chickens. One rooster, a wild fowl, did not like my buddy. My buddy called him L.B. (little b*st*rd) and would fight him with his foot. That rooster would see him and come running for another round. When we turned our backs on him, he would spur my friends legs. LB did NOT like my friend. One summer day buddy came over in his '81 subaru (the '81 Subee). We left in my truck for the afternoon. We returned 3 or 4 hours later. We hung out in the driveway and were wondering where LB was. When he went to get in his car, which he had left the driver window down, he was in for a surprise. There, on his 'texas leather' seat, where 5 piles of LB poo, all in different stages of age. He had made several trips to buddys car to releive himself. Then, decided he probably should remain hidden when we returned. Who says chickens aren't smart?!

He would be extra tasty.....that night!

Back