• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 180 Prebuy

Cyclone

Hi There i have a brand new one almost complete just being painted now as we speak. io-520, sea plane doors, extended bagage, aqua 3190 floats, wheel pen skis, It is zero time except the prop which has 200 hrs on it
101_0750.jpg

slowmover said:
I'm planning to buy a 180 in the next few months. To cut down on the hassle I'm thinking about using a dealer. I've owned a cub for 9 years but I have no experience with a 180.

Anybody have tips for dealing with dealers in general, or experiences with Stancil? Would you buy an airplane from them? Most of the comments on here about them are positive.

Thanks!

Oh Boy....I am going to send you a PM to keep myself out of trouble.

gb

First look at a 180 for me is the rivits around the gear box area.

If the plane has been recently cleaned, get someone to push up and pull down on struts hard while you watch the skin/rivit areas under the belly there...

But lose rivits are only a 5-10K repair, depending on what needs replaced there...

Don't be fooled, pay a mechanic you trust a bunch of money to travel to the plane for the pre-buy if you have to. I agree with mtv on an annual inspection type.

If the owner does not want to furnish good pictures as requested, walk away!!!

I like 56-59 years. Pre 56 the gear is a bit farther back, they feel like a high powered 170 which is great, but the structure is stronger from 56 on. After 59, as said, they got heavier on control and weight.

If you are flying big loads all the time, get the big tail one, and put the gross kit mod. But it is like flying a truck, (which it is), not the sports car the early ones were.

I would be happy to do a walk around on planes here. Give me a call...

Justin, like dealing with guides? :lol:

walkarounds

hey guys, my dad owns a 79 180 on straight floats and skiis, and I have a 53 180 on wheels and skiis. I grew up more or less in the 79 (dad bought it in 80 with only 30 hrs on it!!) and I just picked up the 53 180 from joe stancil, it was his personal "alaska" 180. I ABSOLUTELY love these airplanes, and know a good deal about them, but I am always learning something, but would be more than happy to do a "walk around" for anyone who needs a "unbiased" look at one around the anchorage Alaska area. Trust me, there are alot of airplanes up here in AK, but there is ALOT of junk here too. But there are also some VERY nice machines here too. I have a pretty good mechanic that knows cubs and 180/185 pretty good too.
I will always help out where I can. I figure what comes around goes around.
Tim

Remember that one persons opinion of what is nice can be another persons piece of junk. Several years ago a friend of mine had his mechanic look at copies of the books and pictures and talk on the phone to the seller of a 180 in Texas that was advertised as cherry never damaged. He bought it and it was delivered to Mass. When I walked up to it the first thing that I saw was one wing leading edge was cherry riveted on. Cessna did not do that. The next thing was a crease in the aft belly skin that resembled a runway light. He was upset but had already bought it. So we took out the interior in order to install floats. We found patches holding the gear box to the door post. Clearly this CHERRY airplane had been ground looped. Needless to say the interior went back in and he was able to make the seller take it back.

It is difficult to buy a plane that is a long way from home.

ok, here is a new one i have not heard anyone talking about, local guy here has a 1961( i think)182/180 conversion. looks just like the 180 except for the patches on the belly for where the old gear was moved from. is this really the same as a 180? how do you guys think the price should compare to a (true) 180?

It would be hard to recognize a pre-1960 taildragger conversion assuming it was done right. In the '60 model year 182s started to morph. The 1960-'61 182s introduced the 3 window (185-style) cabin and had a swept tail. I've never seen one converted to conventional gear.

SB

StewartB said:
It would be hard to recognize a pre-1960 taildragger conversion assuming it was done right. In the '60 model year 182s started to morph. The 1960-'61 182s introduced the 3 window (185-style) cabin and had a swept tail. I've never seen one converted to conventional gear.

SB

Yes you have, but didn't know it. :D There is one at Hood.

Phillip Elgin said:
ok, here is a new one i have not heard anyone talking about, local guy here has a 1961( i think)182/180 conversion. looks just like the 180 except for the patches on the belly for where the old gear was moved from. is this really the same as a 180? how do you guys think the price should compare to a (true) 180?

Not sure about pricing on that, but the '61 is a good one to have. The cowling has camlock fasteners rather than screws as on the '60. Of course assuming that a straight tail is on this bird and the other conversion work is properly accomplished, it would be more desirable tome than a trike-gear. One of these early-'60's 182 trikes has won Valdez multiple times in it's class, which includes 180's and 185's.

Back