• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Off Topic - Alaska Fishing Trip

55-PA18A

SPONSOR
Dillingham, Alaska
This has nothing to do with SuperCubs,...but that doesn't seem to be too unusual on this forum. Thought some of the folks here might be interested in this.

The Dillingham (Alaska) Chamber of Commerce just sponsored the 2nd annual Nushagak River Military Fishing Trip over the 4th of July. Twelve enlisted personnel representing most of the branches of the military in the Alaska Command traveled out to Dillingham for an all-expense paid king salmon fishing trip on the Nushagak River.

The twelve (selected by their services) traveled out to Dillingham on June 30, where they were met by host families from Dillingham who provided lodging and meals that day. The next day (July 1) they were flown by local air taxi services up the Nushagak River to Portage Creek, where they were picked up by fishing guides from sportfishing camps. They each spent the next several days fishing for king salmon on the Nushagak River, with guides, boats, lodging and meals provided by the camps and lodges.

They were picked up by the air taxis the evening of July 3rd and flown back to Dillingham, where they were again met by their host families.

Each July 4th, the Chamber hosts an salmon bake/BBQ. All the troops were introduced to the local folks at the BBQ, and appreciation for their service to our country expressed. Most of their host families took them up to Lake Aleknagik for the afternoon of the 4th, where they could catch more fish.

They all headed back home the afternoon of the 5th, with coolers of fish and hopefully good memories of Dillingham and the folks that live here.

I think I can safely speak for everyone, and call this year's fishing trip a great success. The kids caught lots of fish and hopefully had a good time.

Jim Woolington

Good for you and the great citizens of Dillingham Jim, that's a super story and I'm glad you posted it.

It seems the media is trying their damnedest to end the honeymoon with our Military folks, it is nice to see a community, especially a good solid all American community like Dillingham lay out the Red Carpet for those folks.

Way to go

db

alaska fishing trip

Jim,

Great to hear about the trip and I assume you found your boat in floating/operating condition at Portage! What you didn't mention was that you and Scott are a huge part of this and spend a lot of your own time and effort to make it work. Good on ya!
Thanks again for everything!
Dick & Pat

Back