Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Float plane down in Pelican Lake

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Float plane down in Pelican Lake

The news just had a short blurb about a float plane down in Pelican Lake near Orr, MN. The two on board got out safely. Anyone know who it might be?
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    That's only 20 west of me - haven't heard anything yet. Glad it sounds like everyone got out.

Post Thanks / Like
    IDENTIFICATION
    Regis#: 100HY Make/Model: AVIA Description: A-IB
    Date: 07/04/2007 Time: 1950

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
    Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
    AIRCRAFT LANDED ON A LAKE WITHOUT FLOATS DEPLOYED, ORR, MN

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
    # Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
    # Pass: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
    # Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: UNK

OTHER DATA
    Activity: Pleasure Phase: Landing Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: MINNEAPOLIS, MN (GL15) Entry date: 07/05/2007

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, something screwy here...."Landed without floats deployed" ???? Was it an amphib with the wheels down? Or was it a wheeled Husky? Guess the news had it wrong..as usual! LOL

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like he had those newfangled retractable floats. Forgot to pull the "deploy floats" handle.

Glad they walked anyway.

S-Champ... We used to stop & buy bait in Orr on the way to Kabetogama, etc.
    Nimpo Lake Logan... boonie SuperCubber
    200mi (300km) from nearest stoplight... just right! - "Que hesitatus fornicatus est"

Post Thanks / Like
    News sources say wheels were down on the floats.............

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a 4th of July airshow in Orr yesterday. The airport is right on the south side of the lake. I don't know of any "local" husky owners in this neck of the woods, so I suspect it was someone not from the area. If you were to take off on 31 from ORR you climb out right over Pelican. Could be someone ditched after taking off. I'm sure I'll hear all about it in the next few days. Very small world up here.

Post Thanks / Like
    The update from the coffee shop gossip - the guy (not local) took off from Orr on ampigs, headed out over Pelican and landed wheels down in the drink, simply forgot to retract gear . Never ceases to amaze me how many times this happens. Last year a guy landed in Tower wheels up on his 185. Came to a grinding halt in less 300 feet. I can think of two other wheels down in this area in the past 5 years. I've only flown in 3 amphibs, 2 caravans and a turbine beaver, all had the gear advisory system with the audible warning as to gear position below a certain airspeed. It is hard for me to understand how anyone a) would own an amphib without one of these audible warning systems, and b) could possibly land with the gear in the wrong position with one. The voice that comes over the headset announcing gear position is loud and doesn't stop until you push a reset button, at which time you should be checking your gear position. The guy in Tower last year of course denied that the system warned him, but everyone knows what happened. The great news is that everyone was A OK, and the pilot can chalk it up to a learning experience. Getting out of an upside down floatplane has to be terrifying and I hope I never experience it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me of the saying. "There are those who have and those who will." Doubt any of us could guarantee we'd never do a stupid thing.
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like
    Where I used to work we spent several years restoring a P51 and saw the owner belly it in on his first flight.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I've gotten away with my share of oops in a plane, but the gear advisory sytems on these planes just seems to be damn cheap insurance against all of the other distractions of landing a floatplane. With waves, boats, jetskis, flocks of seagulls, underwater obstacles, and all the other stuff happening on the surface of these lakes, getting distracted with gear in the wrong position would be easy. The advisory systems I've been around make it almost impossible to forget the gear.One other thing I've noticed in the gear down/up accidents, and I hate to generalize. BUT- all of them in our area have been with people who don't fly a lot of floats, but fly a lot more wheels down on runways, and make a half-dozen trips to the water a year. Maybe when 90% of your landings are on runways, you forget the gear up for water, and yes I know experienced float pilots make the mistakes too. Just my observations on the recent incidents around here. There is a reason insurance companies are terrified of ampigs. Like I said, glad everyone got out OK - and THAT IS ALL that really matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    Where I used to work we spent several years restoring a P51 and saw the owner belly it in on his first flight.
    I hope the check cleared.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll probably be the next victim, but we always put gear up for all flights. That way the wheels need to be lowered for land . Nothing needs to be done for water landings other than the three visiual checks. Lights, mirrors,and float indicators.
    Not knowing much about the audible warning system , we fly slow a fair amount and the warning would be a nuisance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gear advisory systems DO NOTHING for the pilot who isn't paying attention. There have been amphibians land in water gear down WITH those things.

I agree that they can't hurt, but how hard is it to just look out the windows, and ask oneself what kind of surface it is we're about to land on?

When I took my CFII checkride, I was doing multiple gear checks on each landing approach in a Seminole. The DPE/Airline Pilot at the conclusion of the checkride, asked me why in the hey I did so dang many gear checks. I told him cause the only complex airplanes I generally fly are amphibians, and a certain amount of paranoia about the position of the gear is healthy there. He shrugged his shoulders. Obviously never flown an amphibian, or thought about it much.

Bummer in any case. Insurance for amphibs just went up a notch again.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like

amphibs

You would be surprised how many people that tune out and ignore the gear advisory system that i have given dual to. I have reached over and pressed the advisory switch to turn it off after we land and then bring it to their attention about what could happen if they ignore the advisory! Had one customer flying cross country and i said lets go land on that lake, so he circles, puts the gear down and turns final! I said to him, so your going to kill us both today EH! You should have saw the look on his face! They are nice if operated properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    It does seem like a lot of gear in the wrong position accidents, and I suspect you don't hear about most of the gear up on land ones. Considering what is at stake when landing in the water, I think the paranoia that MTV mentions is mandatory. I'm constantly checking the hydraulic wheel skis, and landing in the wrong position with those is usually only embarrassing and not fatal. Hope I haven't jinxed myself. Word is they extricated the plane from the lake yesterday. I might run up to ORR today to take a look see.

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a Bonanza gear up here a couple of weeks ago. The PIC was a high-time private pilot with a clean record, and was the owner of the airplane. He was taking a BFR from a retired AF instructor, with 17,000 of flight instruction under his belt and had never scratched an airplane. I am sure the comfort level was high; and it would have never happened to either of them, alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    I hope the check cleared.
    Yea, after he spent that much money for the total rebuild he wanted it fixed. It is a sick feeling to luck out on the runway and see an airplane you spent a lot of time rebuilding balancing between two prop blades, the dog house and the flaps.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at a maintenance outfit one day, waiting on an airplane to get floated. One of the mechanics looked out the front door and said, very loudly "Oh No!!" I looked and there skidded a Cardinal RG, gear up. I looked at the mechanics, and asked them "Isn't that the Cardinal you guys had in here rebuilding all winter after a gear up?"

The answer: "Yes, and that was the first landing during the maintenance test flight by the owner."

Holy cats.

MTV

Safe Skies Aviation, KMWO, Middletown, OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    D'Oh!

Can you say "709 Ride" ?!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pre landing check that I always do turning final.

Where am I landing and where is my gear?

Its saved me landing with the wrong selection at least twice over the past fifty four years flying amphibs.....

....and I teach all my students that mantra......