• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Turnbuckle reference guide

Bugs66

Spokane WA
I am starting to research all the cables and turnbuckles for my project. I have read the previous posts discussing such as:
Here and Here

I would like to create a quick reference for anyone building or restoring a Cub on which turnbuckles to use. I will update this as information gets verfied by more experienced people.

Elevator Turnbuckles:
semi verified classic style - AN130-16S assembly or AN170-16S eye, AN155-16S barrel, AN161-16S fork.
unverified quick clip style: MS21255-5RS eye, MS21251-B5S barrel, MS21252-5LS fork, MS21256-1 clip
2 required per plane.

Aileron Turnbuckles:
semi verified classic style - AN170-16S eye, AN155-16S barrel, Piper 461-432 fork.
unverified quick clip style - unknown (will same as elevator work?)
4 required per plane

Rudder Turnbuckles
Not used by factory but have seen on some planes instead of the multi-hole clip link. Use same as elevator? Place outside or inside?

Flap Turnbuckles
semi verified AN130-16S assembly, or same as elevator
2 required per plane

If some folks can confirm or correct my findings I will update this post and mark as "verified". Also it would be great if anyone knows the best price to get them. Chime in. Thanks!

Bump. Anyone have some firsthand knowledge to help verify or correct the above?

Hi Bugs,

Let me say first off that I don't know squat about turnbuckles, and your original question was one I've been contemplating for a while. I have run across some info (a web site) that may be of some help, but, again, I dunno . . . .
http://www.bellmemphis.com/

http://www.usmilitaryfasteners.com/home.htm

If you get this figured out, I'd surely appreciate knowing which way to go on these things.

PS: The drawings on your website have been like 'manna from heaven' ! I owe you multiple cold beers!

Buggs,
The 2+2 plans list the same numbers you have for the Elevator Cables and Ailerons also. I guess that is some verification.

Marty

I am coming back on my project like a storm now that my hangar is done. Any Smith kit dudes or others have updated info on the turnbuckles? I am assuming these are all right hand thread? (edit, duh, 1 end LH one end RH). Getting ready to place an order.

I have had good luck with Wag. Tom is always a great help. However so far A/C Spruce has the best price on turnbuckles. If anyone has better source let me know. Also for AN115 shackles. Geez those are crazy in price! $11/ea.

Back