• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Strut mounted rifle for Alaskan wolf hunting....

Can you imagine going to the FAA with the field approval paper work on four shotguns installed on the wing! :onfire: God I would love it! :eek: :eek:

Read Wager With the Wind. When I was a kid he let take the controls for a flight to Talkeetna. First time I flew an airplane.

Is Holly still flying her fathers supercub in Talkeetna she probably has more pictures and info and was starting a museum at the airport. I havent been there for 3 yrs or so . Holly is Don Sheldons daughter for those that dont know and was flying 27Z her dads last supercub.

Strut mounted rifle

Just out of curiosity are there any FAR's or federal laws prohibiting mounting guns on aircraft?I don't remember seeing anything.I bet a field approval would be tough to come by though! :lol:

Alaska Field Approval?

I was curious too. How do you think a field approval would go? It sure is safer than having your buddy blasting rounds from the back seat. Ive heard of wings getting shot off like that. I sure would love to get into some wolf hunting. A great way to pay for gas!!

Resurrecting this old thread, I have to ask:

Can anyone point to a specific rule or regulation (FAA or BATF, I suppose) that would prohibit the following:

1. Fully legal shotgun (nothing fancy, just the same one we use to shoot coyotes for predator control already)

2. Hard mounted to experimental​ aircraft (thus not requiring field approval(?))

3. Flying over completely uninhabited area hunting coyotes as part of otherwise legal predator control operation

My initial suspicion is that there's probably a rule against it somewhere. However, I don't see the practical difference between that and having a gunner in the back seat (except you would no longer be shooting over the tire, ahead of the strut, behind the prop and under the wing).

All the other "guns mounted on planes" discussions I've seen have pertained to the legality of machine guns on old warbirds. I'm not talking about that. Instead, I'm asking about something which is otherwise fully legal in all respects, with the only difference being that the shotgun is attached to the experimental aircraft rather than in the hands of the gunner.

With the references to it "no longer being legal" in Sheldon's case, are those references to aerial wolf hunting in general, or to having the shotgun in question hard-mounted to the aircraft? If it is the latter, does the certified vs. experimental make any difference?

Purely hypothetical (no need to send the agents to my door, I don't even own an airplane right now), but I am curious to know if anyone can point me to a rule.

Resurrecting this old thread, I have to ask:

Can anyone point to a specific rule or regulation (FAA or BATF, I suppose) that would prohibit the following:

1. Fully legal shotgun (nothing fancy, just the same one we use to shoot coyotes for predator control already)

2. Hard mounted to experimental​ aircraft (thus not requiring field approval(?))

3. Flying over completely uninhabited area hunting coyotes as part of otherwise legal predator control operation

My initial suspicion is that there's probably a rule against it somewhere. However, I don't see the practical difference between that and having a gunner in the back seat (except you would no longer be shooting over the tire, ahead of the strut, behind the prop and under the wing).

All the other "guns mounted on planes" discussions I've seen have pertained to the legality of machine guns on old warbirds. I'm not talking about that. Instead, I'm asking about something which is otherwise fully legal in all respects, with the only difference being that the shotgun is attached to the experimental aircraft rather than in the hands of the gunner.

With the references to it "no longer being legal" in Sheldon's case, are those references to aerial wolf hunting in general, or to having the shotgun in question hard-mounted to the aircraft? If it is the latter, does the certified vs. experimental make any difference?

Purely hypothetical (no need to send the agents to my door, I don't even own an airplane right now), but I am curious to know if anyone can point me to a rule.

Here's the "prohibition": http://www.fws.gov/le/pdffiles/Airborne Hunting.pdf

Note that there can be and are exceptions, for predator control, etc. None of this would prohibit one from mounting a firearm on an airplane, of course. I'd be very careful at which airports I'd land with guns mounted on the struts, however, lest you caused heart failures in a few dozen TSA types...

MTV

Thanks, MTV. I was hoping you would offer your thoughts. Assuming I'm a duly licensed predator control agent for the state in which I'm flying, can you think of any other FAA regulations which would prohibit the authorized predator control operations in this manner (legal shotgun affixed to experimental plane)?

Disclaimer: I'm not commenting about the wisdom of trying to kill coyotes this way, just asking about the legality!

RanchPilot,

Well, it depends. If you are doing this for hire or any sort of compensation, that would violate the FAR regarding commercial operations in experimental aircraft. If you weren't being compensated, I don't think there'd be any issues.....

MTV

Isn't there a prohibition on using experimental aircraft for commercial purposes?? I don't know for sure if there is or isn't.

Mark

Good point. In Wyoming, you can be authorized for predator control without getting paid. The allure of making a strafing run might be enough to make some guys consider doing it for free!

Personally, I'm not going to consider any strafing runs until the coyotes agree to start running in a nice straight line for me...

I called the FAA about it and they said it was kind of in a grey area. I flew to a large airshow here in CA and displayed my SQ-2 Cub with it on but empty to see if the Feds would look me up. They didn't and I won the best Builders Award!

I called the FAA about it and they said it was kind of in a grey area. I flew to a large airshow here in CA and displayed my SQ-2 Cub with it on but empty to see if the Feds would look me up. They didn't and I won the best Builders Award!

Do you have any pictures? I would love to see them.

Click the little window-frame looking thingie that's right above where you write in the "quick reply" box - third icon from the right.

hmmmmmm....

how about a normal belly pod with deploy-able gun(s)(forward and backwards) that pop out of bottom of it when needed, and hide inside when not in use)... video scope on dash, limited joystick aiming......

sounds like a fun project.... for test purposes only ;-)

I may have created a monster by resuscitating this thread. When Mike MCS puts his mind to an idea, it is something to behold!

:pop:

I may have created a monster by resuscitating this thread. When Mike MCS puts his mind to an idea, it is something to behold!

:pop:

this might be a GREAT project.... use to draw customers to your booth at the AK Airmans show... have a fuselage with this mounted under it hanging above your booth, with the guns articulating and shooting paintballs or such....

even if you can't use it or sell it....

anyone in good with the bush pod guy?? he got any goofed up pods to play with??? or randy with a carbon fiber one?

this might be a GREAT project.... use to draw customers to your booth at the AK Airmans show... have a fuselage with this mounted under it hanging above your booth, with the guns articulating and shooting paintballs or such....

even if you can't use it or sell it....

anyone in good with the bush pod guy?? he got any goofed up pods to play with??? or randy with a carbon fiber one?

new valdez category.... ;-)

Back