• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Strut mounted rifle for Alaskan wolf hunting....

mtnflyr

Western Mtns of Maine
OK...now that I got your attention....I am looking for old photos of Cubs or small aircraft that were outfitted with a rifle on it for hunting wolves in Alaska during the 50's and 60's until it was outlawed.......if you've lived in Alaska awhile...you'll know what I mean.....seen anything like that??

mtnflyr said:
OK...now that I got your attention....I am looking for old photos of Cubs or small aircraft that were outfitted with a rifle on it for hunting wolves in Alaska during the 50's and 60's until it was outlawed.......if you've lived in Alaska awhile...you'll know what I mean.....seen anything like that??

Don Sheldon's twin strut-mounted shotguns are on display in the schoolhouse museum in Talkeetna (I forgot the official name of the museum).....

It makes the nose a little heavy, but there is just enough trim. :p
images.jpg

mtnflyr said:

Don't know of too many rifles mounted on cubs for wolf hunting. Most setups for wolves, like Don Sheldon's were shotguns. Back in the 60's brown bears were shot on Kodiak with fixed M-1 rifles mounted on the top of the cockpit greenhouse. Outdoor Life magazine had a feature article(August '64) that had photos. Haven't seen any since. It was quite a controversy in the day - OL called it the "Kodiak Bear War".

That bear killing Cub (sounds just wrong doesn't it?) was flown mostly by an old friend of mine.

They mounted the rifle on top of the greenhouse, on a bipod type mount, and installed a sliding trap door in the skylight to facilitate changing magazines. I believe there was a picture or two in the magazine. The rifle was rigged aligned with the plane, but shot over top of the prop.

He said they had an electric gun trigger on the front stick, a homemade sight on the to cowl and the rear seat held a box full of loaded magazines.

The rumor was that till Jim Rearden, the author of the the OL article, got to poking around this deal, they had a BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) mounted up there, but wound up with an M-1, since there were apparently "ownership issues" with the BAR. Both are 30-06 cal.

He never talked much about this deal, which was done at the behest of the cattle types on Kodiak, and with the knowledge and/or concurrance of F & G. I asked him once how many bears he figured he'd killed, and he reported a significant number verified dead by checking the next day. They'd check carcasses, hoping to catch another bear feeding on that one.

He had been a P-51 pilot in WWII, and spent the latter part of the war in Stalag Luft III. Interesting fellow, but very quiet.

Wouldn't have wanted to have been a bear around him, though.

MTV

mvivion said:
He had been a P-51 pilot in WWII, and spent the latter part of the war in Stalag Luft III.

MTV

sounds like he did better against things that couldn't shoot back...... :9mm

ag-pilot,

I grew up in eastern Montana. I know what a cattle rancher is, trust me.

The few guys on Kodiak who try to raise cows there are definitely not "ranchers" by my definition.

You can have a cow standing in grass as tall as the cow there, with a full rumen, near starving to death. And importing feed is kinda spendy.

Then you have to ship the cows to the nearest slaughterhouse-in Palmer, last I checked. That's a boat ride, followed by truck trip.

Kodiak is many things, but cattle country it's not.

Better off selling bear hunts...

MTV

O.K. Mike --I know it's off subject but where in eastern Montana????? My folks both grew up in the Powder River country, Dad on Otter Creek and Mom on Bay Horse Creek. Also --Is Mr. Reardon still writing?? I've been struggling with a book of a friend who did lots of wolf hunting with Supercubs in Canada years back. He has some really good stories and I sure could use some professional help- spent too much time looking out the window in English class watching airplanes and motorcycles. You may know the wolf hunter , his son is a very respected cub fixer in your area. Geezer Dan

I've been struggling with a book of a friend who did lots of wolf hunting with Supercubs in Canada years back.
:snipersmile:

Hurry up and finish it, I will buy one. Sounds like good reading.

TJ,

Yep, that's the guy. That guy wore an airplane. I've seen him do stuff with a Goose that was really impressive. I haven't heard if he's still with us, he'd be up there in years.

Jim Rearden (spelled with a den on the end) is still quite alive and resides in Homer, Alaska. Jim is a very personable guy, and very helpful, in my experience. I'd call information and see if he's in the book and give him a call. I don't have his phone number. I'm sure TJ knows him as well.

Area code is 907.

Jim also wrote a book called "Alaska's Wolf Man-The 1915-1955 Wilderness Adventures of Frank Glaser" See Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b...ield-keywords=frank+glaser,+alaska's+wolf+man

Glaser did some amazing stuff. If you are at all familiar with Alaska, consider walking from Valdez to Fairbanks in April before there was a road there. That's how he arrived in the Interior.

Geezer, I went to high school in Medicine Lake. Spent some time down in the Breaks south of Malta, in the Centennial Valley in SW MT and went to the U of M in Missoula.

MTV

Uof M

So Mike, isn't the U of M where all the greenies in the state hang out? Did they get to ya over there in little california??? :D :D :D
Your not one of them "cattle Free" on BLM guys are you???
Dave

AgPilot,

Nope, I attended the U of M because they had a WILD life program, which the Cow College down in BZN didn't at the time. Oh, and U of M was, at that time, referred to by MSU pukes as the "Dance Acadamy", I'll have you know.

My wife and I were in Bozeman a while back, and I almost died of hilarity. Wife asked me what the hey I thought was so funny about downtown Bozeman, that I was drawing a crowd. My response: "They have BOUTIQUES and ESPRESSO BARS in downtown Bozeman now."

Who'da thunk??

MTV

Yes, basically there is hardly any soil there. It's all rock and volcanic ash. Grows tall grass and great alder brush, but not a lot of nutrient, especially in winter. Takes a lot of that grass to keep a critter alive.

MTV

Thanks for the reply MTV. I have read the book Alaska's Wolf Man. Amazing story! In fact the man I'm trying to write about gave me a copy as he said Mr Rearden wrote like he wants his story told. No, Cubus Maximus the book isn't about Francis; perhaps the next one should be. I'd like to meet him. Steve E. thanks for the interest; maybe I need someone to keep the pressure on to get it done. :lol: Some of these old timers have lived some experiences that are amazing adventures and present day laws would never allow them again. Need to get them recorded before they are lost. Fortunately I have a fair amount of photos to go along with it---a picture is worth a thousand words, right????? :D Geezer Dan

maybe I need someone to keep the pressure on to get it done. Some of these old timers have lived some experiences that are amazing adventures and present day laws would never allow them again. Need to get them recorded before they are lost. Fortunately I have a fair amount of photos to go along with it---a picture is worth a thousand words, right????? Geezer Dan

Dosent look like you need me to put pressure on. Looks like you have said it best yourself. Good luck and hurry up.
Steve

I just read a book about a guy out of Fosston MN that started hunting fox with a J3 in the early fifties and then timber wolves with a J3 and a PA18 in Canada. Also did alot of spraying with a J3, Super Cub. Maybe some of you MN guys know him?

mvivion said:
Yes, basically there is hardly any soil there. It's all rock and volcanic ash. Grows tall grass and great alder brush, but not a lot of nutrient, especially in winter. Takes a lot of that grass to keep a critter alive.

Interesting. Thanks. I wouldn't have have guessed that.

wolf gunning

Charlie Warbelow once told me the Browning Auto 5 was the "ultimate" for wolf/cub hunting.

God bless his soul,

12Drivr

auto 5

12 drivr, Your right the A-5 was the best until buffered shot came along, When you shoot a shotgun out of a cub going 60 or so all that buffer comes back down the barrel and into the action and your face. Auto 5s will only shoot for a little while before they are all gummed up with the stuff. Benelli super 90 has been the "new ultimate" for 10 years or better.
Dave

Well, here it is, Don Sheldon with two 10 shot 12 gauges mounted to each side. That's 40 forty rounds before reload! I'm not sure of the firing mechanism setup...I think they had some kind of strings set up for pulling the trigger.

SHELDON_GUNS.JPG

It's been more years than I care to think about, but I also saw Sheldon's shotguns at the Talkeetna museum. As I recall, they were Browning A-5s (or maybe Remington Model 11s?) mounted in tandem on a pipe and spring arrangement to deal with the recoil. I do remember they didn't have the wood stocks on, so not sure if the shotguns in the photos are the same ones. They did have magazine extensions like the photo shows.

The shotgun's were fired with a solenoid fastened behind the trigger guard of each shotgun. A hole was drilled through the back of the trigger guard, with another through the trigger. The shaft from the solenoid was threaded on the end. The shaft passed through the hole in the rear of the trigger guard and then was attached to the trigger with a nut on each the front and back of the trigger. Activating the solenoid would pull back on the trigger.

I didn't see what sort of switch arrangement he might have used, but that wouldn't be too difficult to rig. Probably a simple matter to rig a selector switch, and maybe a push button on the stick.

Those must have been the days.

Jim

Back