• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Feet Hurt

You guys just don't get it... everything is opposite on the way back! Prop turns the opposite, all rotational forces opposite, everything un-done! It is magnified, of course, if you fly back closer to the poles, then everything is spinning faster... :lol:

Christina Young said:
You guys just don't get it... everything is opposite on the way back! Prop turns the opposite, all rotational forces opposite, everything un-done! It is magnified, of course, if you fly back closer to the poles, then everything is spinning faster... :lol:

Hi Christina,
I think I got it with my north/south gravitational effect. I just didn't realize that the prop turned backwards and all of that.

By the way, I have a lot of respect for anyone who flies a cub from the east coast to Alaska and back and deals with all the weather that you must have encountered on your trip. Good job!

Clyde

I have to agree with Clyde Barker about the long distances in a Cub. Susan and I do a lot of that too so we can empathize with you. Our most recent was from where we bought a new (to us) rebuilt PA-11 in South Dakota down through Texas and over to California then up the big valley and over to the coast in Northern California (40.7 flying hours). I have modified the rudder pedals in both of our Cubs to accommodate Susan's short statue (4'11"). The modification consists of first covering the horizontal tube part of the peddle with an equal length of foam pipe insulation. That is in turn covered with a rubber pipe coupling (the kind that is a rubber sleeve with stainless steel hose clamps on each end) split lengthwise. This adds about 1.75 inches of peddle height allowing her to comfortably get full rudder. The end result is a moderately soft place for your feet. This assembly is held in place by the hose clamps and is easily removed if need be.

Christina, I usually agree with you politically (most of the time) so you finally gave me an opening for a little fun. Airplanes have no idea which way the wind is blowing or if there is any wind once the wheels are off the ground (gusts/turbulence excepted). You know, of course, because you have eyes and probably a GPS. ...Clyde Davis

Barefoot can be painfull. I sliced a heel once on the brake. I have rinsed off standing on the tire before,bathed after falling in salty muddy water fishing. Resulting in flying home with not much on and bare foot. :D

By the way on long flights my knees hurt, and the sides of my knees from rubbing on the inside of plane. I saw one once that had sponges stuck to the sides for your knees to rest against.

My 1st try is going to be heater hose over pedals as a anti vibration and softener. Also different shoes I had a pair I liked but they wore out and cant find ones with similar soles- soft but thick enough to give support I find stiff sole dont take out vibration and often the inside isnt soft . I know I am getting old too!! My flights are often 4 plus hours and often when it is windy and rough. Also thinking of adding larger pads to spread pressure out over more of my foot . You were right Dan! I suppose I could sell my cub and get a 180!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like my new flying shoes... :angel: http://www.mukluks.com/apache.shtml They are soft as clouds to wear, can be worn with different inserts for varying degrees of support and have ribbed crepe soles that wrap smoothly to the edges so they won't get caught on brakes and don't slip off the rudders. VERY very comfortable! Plus, they are extremely quiet so you can walk around in the woods in total silence and not scare off the critters. They are made by Steger Mocs... there's a wide variety of mukluks for cold weather and another style of moccasin that's has a low top.

Lynne

Back