Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Hot Rod" Cub debuts at Trade Show

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been fortunate to visit with Doug re this and other projects he has been involved with. Doug is an engineer by trade, was/is involved with Byron Root of Sherpa fame, and was involved in the design and engineering on this plane. Doug is a SHARP guy, who understands off road flying, and I have no doubt this plane will be a significant step forward in the evolution of the Cub. If I had lots of money I would be looking hard at this one. Husky, nah....this one...ABSOLUTELY.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug is the guy that built the Super Cub with Husky flaps also.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Weight is very important when combining the landing distance with the take-off distance to win a short field competition. It would be really helpful for spectators if they were to weigh each plane before the competition in Valdez. The weights could also be used to establish an excellent baseline for Cub builders. I think this Carbon Cub will get off the ground quick. Landing will depend on technique and experience. If the plane can be controlled with the big flaps deployed like a Helio and the AOSS suspension can absorb the impact without bouncing, then it should get stopped pretty short. It will be interesting. Paul Claus's completely striped Super Cub that won the competition last year may be lighter. I'm thinking around 900 lbs. (anyone know for sure?) If so that is 100 lbs lighter than the Carbon Cub.

Post Thanks / Like
    if it competes in valdez will it be in the experimental class?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piperpa12
    Paul Claus's completely striped Super Cub that won the competition last year may be lighter. I'm thinking around 900 lbs. (anyone know for sure?) If so that is 100 lbs lighter than the Carbon Cub.
    In a interview at Valdez last year he said 1030 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    can it go stealth it look wicked.marc
    t-cart n43643

Post Thanks / Like
    Claus's completely striped Super Cub that won the competition last year may be lighter. I'm thinking around 900 lbs. (anyone know for sure?) If so that is 100 lbs lighter than the Carbon Cub.
    I know exactly what it weighed 13 years ago when we built it. I read the scales. 160hp, 31" airstreaks, no electrial - 1049 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it would be whoever finishes with the better combined score, Paul or Carbon Crafters. If it is unclear we could take a poll or something..

DK

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Fabman and kase. No more guessing as to the weight of Paul Claus's Supercub. This is a great site!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    two cubs can weigh the same it the skill of the pilot.and paul has a lot of skill.i hope the best for them but my money on paul.marc
    t-cart n43643

Post Thanks / Like
    They should let Paul fly both of them, therefore it would get rid of the difference in pilot skill. If he fly them back to back, the weather would be pretty much the same. It would just be the difference in the plane.

Tom Ford

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you guys going to do if someone kicks both there rearends, sounds to me like this is just a competition between two people, why would anyone want to show up and compete or watch it. Im not trying to change any spirits here but. ive always liked to keep an open mind that way the letdowns arent so bad. oh oh i probably shouldnt have opened my big mouth. doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Who knows, maybe a McMahon will win it.....

Post Thanks / Like
    And, sometimes it's mostly in who happens to catch the right gusts...

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Temperature is also a consideration. It could vary 30-40 degrees from morning till noon. What I like best is that this is a true gentleman's competition and with the variables anyone can win. There is really no incentive to risk damaging your plane to land short. All you really win is bragging rights and some nice little prizes. Now if the Carbon Cub was the prize, things might be a little different. I don't really understand why everyone is so concerned with the take-off portion. The real skill is landing and getting stopped. You really get to see the pilots level of experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, precisely.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like

It's really about the landing

The rule this year, which I disagree with, combines the landing and the take-off. The winner in each category is the pilot with the best total take-off and landing. Though there are definitely techniques to shorten a take-off, it really amounts to weight and horsepower.

This type of combined take-off and landing also makes placing planes in the proper categories imperative. A 1100 lbs. or lighter cub in the same category as a 1400 lbs. Maule does not seem right based on landing alone, but if you add take-off to the landing it become ridiculous. There is no meaningful competition in that.

Why not highlight the skilled portion of the event --the landing? Why try fixing something that is not broken? Last years event had plenty of closely matched planes --in the proper categories, and the spectators and participants seemed to enjoy themselves.

Just one former competitors opinion and worth about as much as the paper it is written on. Despite all that those guys put on a heck of a show --the pilots and organizers.

Oh yea, and the topic was.... If that Carbon Cub is running well, I bet it gets off the ground quickest. Does anyone know if they got the kinks worked out? What else is going to compete in the all new Experimental Bush class? What exactly is experimental bush? How about a gyrocopter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do I send the check TJ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some info on Carbon Cub

The wing tips are carbon fiber and the one tip did sag a little in the sun. It looked fine until it sat in the sun for some reason. Weight reduction was the goal, more carbon fiber could have been used, but that would mean more weight. No, I did not hit a post.

The gross weight was actually set at 1650#, with an empty weight of 1025#, the useful load is 625#. The average PA-18 weighs approximately 1200# with a 1750# gross weight (550# useful load). The airplane is experimental and the builder reserves the right to set the gross weight. I am confident that this aircraft will handle the gross weight of 1650#.

The airplane is not nose heavy. I added 7-1/2# to the tail to ensure that it handles similar to a 0-320 Super Cub. Greg Miller made me a spacer out of steel to replace the plastic baby bushwheel spacer. The main gear axle is also moved 3" forward. Paul flew it for a while and then got in his 160 cub and mentioned how aggressive he could get on the brakes in Carbon Cub.

The prop is a 1A2009032 (very heavy 43#, but produces a tremendous amount of low speed thrust). The engine has a single mag and a single light speed ignition. We have used these props a lot on conical mount 0-360 without any trouble or excess vibration. The light speed ignition really makes it run smooth.

The engine trouble turned out to be the mechanical fuel pump, after replacing it, the engine ran fine. I am fine tuning the oil temp and hope to drop it down a few degrees.

I got Paul to fly it because I was afraid I would not be able to exploit the airplanes awesome performance, I figured if anyone could it would be Paul. Paul and I flew it before the event and Paul gave me some excellent pointers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome airplane Doug. Thanks for the information. Looks like ya'll are having fun.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I met Steve J. at the Amman's show and paid my dues so I guess that I better say Hello!

Some of you might like my take on the Carbon Cub. 1st of all it was really nice and a privilege to get to fly it. Doug is a awesome engineer and it is very evident in the CC. In a nut shell it was great fun to fly. I had maybe a hour in it before the airshow and I sure don't feel like I could fly it to it's potential. But it is real light on the controls and a well balanced comfortable feeling Cub! I don't know If I could get used to the flap handle up by the skylight and when I flew it out here in the bush, the full flap position was not working. They got that fixed at Valdez but I didn't have a chance to test fly it before the competition. I pulled full flaps on my final approach and it felt way different than it did with my half flap practicing so I went back to half flaps!

I don't know if it would hold up to the rugged treatment I give a Cub and if I had to go pick some one off the side of a mountain right now I would get in my Alpha cub but that is not really fair because I have Thousands of hours in Alpha and only 1 in CC. The Carbon Cub is definitely a hot rod and would rank as one of the most fun aircraft I have ever flown!

It was great to hang out with Doug and Greg and thanks a Ton for letting me fly their equipment. I too was very impressed with the Bushwhacker and with Greg's ability to fly it.

Paul

PS I weigh 185 and am 5'10" We had 5 gallons fuel in the plane

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Paul.
    I am down here in Oklahoma and can only wish I can make it up there someday. I am sure there will be lots of folks that are going to pick your brain. Me too probably. Glad your here.
    Steve

CPT. BLY
    What will they do next!. 600 HP, square the tail feathers, a cantilever wing, a canard wing on the nose, How about reversing jatto bottles, What about a tail hook for those nice river bars with landing wires wires. How about a retracting rotor blade for vertical work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CPT. BLY
    What will they do next!. 600 HP, square the tail feathers, a cantilever wing, a canard wing on the nose, How about reversing jatto bottles, What about a tail hook for those nice river bars with landing wires wires. How about a retracting rotor blade for vertical work.
    BLY--

Paul has most of that covered with the Otter.

Wup