• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Not so Simple Question Who to build/rebuild a SuperCub?

P51Mstg

Hi:

I live in southern WV (with ties to Pittsburgh and Ohio). I'm looking for recommendations for someone to build or rebuild a SuperCub.

I have a pair of PA-18s that have been in storage since the mid 1970s. Both have dataplates, engines, etc. One has some upper cabin damage and a bent right wing from a poorly executed landing.

I'd like to get one rebuilt in the near future and the other done in a year or two.

I'm looking for suggestions on upgrades (both were 105HP SCubs) for them based on your experience. I'm not a Super Cub expert by a long shot and have not been in one in 30 years. I spend a good bit of my time flying helicopters.

I'm up for a full rebuild replacing everything including a factory new engine.

I've taken a look at CubCrafters, but it seems like even if you bring your own plane, that the price doesn't change much. I'm looking for someone who is good at what they do. My Bell 47 (which can land shorter than ANY SuperCub) was rebuilt by a Bell service center into a really super nice bird. If they did fixed wing, I'd take it there.

Any thoughts on a shop in Western PA, Eastern Ohio, WV, Eastern KY, or Western NC that might be able to do it; or should I be looking nationally? Suggestions on mods (4" fueslage, 3" gear extension; some other wings; 180 HP???)

Thanks

Mark H

Dee Wygant at Copper River Airmotive in AK did my cub. He did a great job and everyone who has seen my cub loves it. He will build to your specs. and give you good suggestions.

www.crairmotive.com

John
72A
Chugiak
AK

call steve&brain at steve aircraft they are the guys to talk to they do the best job on cubs i give them a thumb up! :cheers marc n43643

If you have that kind of $$ why not just get one that is already built?

There are plenty of guys on a budget looking for a decent priced project to rebuild.

Tim

CC does a very good job as long as your reach is long enough to pull out the knife once they have collected your money...
My reach was a bit shy......

Sam

8)

Make a deal with Pierce aero out of Graham Texas he knows and does an outstanding job..Or Charlie Aileron..But tell Charlie not to burn himself when he quotes you as he gets in over his head and does a better job than he can collect for....or he won't go after anyone for extra request...
He is too nice!

Sam

8)

StPat said:
I think Ron Massey would do a hellava job.
Patrick

Thanks Patrick, but I don't think I'll live long enough to complete two airplanes. Still some doubt as to whether I'll ever get this one done. However.......If you get one flying, I'll be happy to ferry it for you!

I have a couple suggestions.

#1. Give me one of the cubs for rebuilding the other one for you.

#2. Just give me one of your supercubs because you own 2 supercubs!

I'm sorry, I really don't have any useful advice for you, I just consider you a pretty lucky guy for having two Supercubs. I consider myself lucky for being able to work on two supercubs in my A&P career. Now I'm stuck working on Cessna's :roll: until i find a better gig. Good luck to ya!

Might have a look at Merrill Blalock in Greenbrier, Arkansas. He does excellent fabric work and is a straight-up guy.

Contact Myron Zweifel [krashmaviation@hotmail.com] Myron restored the Cub Special that we bought from him. I recommend him highly. ...Clyde Davis

P51Mstg said:
Hi:

I live in southern WV (with ties to Pittsburgh and Ohio). I'm looking for recommendations for someone to build or rebuild a SuperCub.

Any thoughts on a shop in Western PA, Eastern Ohio, WV, Eastern KY, or Western NC that might be able to do it; or should I be looking nationally? Suggestions on mods (4" fueslage, 3" gear extension; some other wings; 180 HP???)

John Waltrowski at Cubs Unlimited near Pittsburgh.

www.cubsunlimited.com

Does great work, nice guy!

There are a lot of good builders around. I finished a project in February of 2006 that I am delighted with. The work is perfect, the plane flies great. I think it is the nicest Cub I have ever seen. Jim Drometer did it for me. He swears that he will never do another one. I understand why. It is very hard to estimate. Jim does every component part of the project and has done them all several times. He had a tough time estimating the time involved and ended up not feeling good about it.

I would go with one of the production shops or someone who rebuilds Cubs routinely. I have seen Warren's work. It is great. There are several others too. Ferrying the plane across the country is not that big a deal.

Back