• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

lost logbooks

Dick Williams

FRIEND
Idaho
We have misplaced our cub logbooks, after owning this aircraft 25 years and operating it 135 a long time. I still have the STC's and 337s, supplemental flight manuals, etc., but the prop, engine, and aircraft logs are missing.
I've talked to the feds and was told to research the ADs, put my info together, and come in to see them (my mechanic also has recent annual log entries on his computer). The Fed told me there was an old Ad Circ out on this but had been removed and not updated.
I'm looking for help from anyone out there who has been in a similar situation and can help guide me through this process, which looks like it might be a nightmare!
For starters, is there a PA18 AD list published anywhere?
Thanks...

Man, that is a pain. Sorry to hear about it.

A few years ago, our C180 logbooks were stored at the IA's shop. He had a guy who worked for him go off the deep end one day and set fire to the logbooks that were shelved there. Lucky for us, the shop owner got it put out before the hangar burned down and everthing got charred beyond recognition. Just a little blackened around the edges and water damage.

It was a good lesson for me. Now my own hangar will have to burn down to get 'em!

Good luck.

gb

I think that quite a few people leave their logbooks full time with their A&P or IA as a matter of course. Bad idea, I can't believe they do that. I've heard of disgruntled mechanic's assistants stealing or destroying the logs. Also heard of an old-time mechanic dying, and his children refusing to let anyone take anything from the shop for fear that they were being ripped off. Also heard of logbooks disappearing, probably by being included in another customer's aircraft records when they were given to that customer.
My logbooks are out of my custody only long enough for the mechanic to make his entries, and are back in my hands before I pay the bill. Accident happen, so play it safe.

Rooster

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that having my logs scanned at Kinko's was only about $65. This included the airframe, engine, and prop logs, the 337s, the STCs, and misc other records.

As an insurance policy against the unexpected I'm keeping one copy on my personal computer, and another on a separate drive. If I get ambitious I might have the new entries scanned after each annual (although I doubt I'll do that - I'm not that well organized).

Small price to pay for peace of mind. I have scanned hundreds of logbooks and think it is the best insurance policy. On the note about the reconstruction of logbooks you only need to keep what is currently supporting the aircraft's airworthiness. Of course ADs and Annuals, elt, Pitot static....... all of this. But if you mechanic has the latest of it on file then it can simply be reprinted and signed and you're legal. Like I am sure was stated earlier, the value of maintenance records is directly related to resale so you may not really be helping yourself by going through the trouble of trying to historically re create the records. I would consider a re constructed maintenance history about as bad as no maintenance history. With the exception of the CD from the FAA. (Which has shown to be inaccurate at times) But if it was actual digital scans of the original I would accept them as original.

Guys,

Thanks so much for all the good info and advice. Much appreciated. In all fairness, I might have been a little tough on my fed. He didn't actually say I HAD to see him, hopefully he was just trying to be helpful (!!??).
It sounds like this might not be too terrible, with my IA's help. We have a lot of the records, including the last 3 annuals on computer. I also called the prop shop and they are researching my prop's serial # for me.
Thanks again, anything more is appreciated!
Dick

Dick - you could delete your other post, and it will delete my response, which is the same as the ones you got here. My attempt at making sense of the Cub A/s is found in "Member to Member" around May 13 - or just search "Airworthiness Directives" and it will pop up.

Back