Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Holy B-2 Stealth Bomber Batman!

Post Thanks / Like

Holy B-2 Stealth Bomber Batman!

Picked up a cheap plastic kite at Ace Hardware the other day. Tried flying it this afternoon. It had a tendency to break and stall to the right and repeatedly dived nose first into the ground. Thinking that perhaps it needed a little more weight in the tail, I stuck a little twig in the hollow plastic tube that served as it's "spine". Kind of looks like a "sting ray" with the addition of the stick. I set it aloft and gave it all of the 200 feet of string it came with. It's been flying all by itself now (tied to a pole in the middle of a field) since 3:30PM EST! So far it has remained flying through the wake turbulence of an Aztec, a Cessna 150, a Cessna Hawk XP and one other low wing somethingorother towards sundown (it's just outside the outer edge of the glide path) . It's dark now with no wind at all on the surface and still the string is pointing straight up into the dark night! I wonder how long it can stay up there by itself?? Interesting study... I'll let you know how long it flies. Anybody ever heard of such a thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    I always won the Boy Scout Kite flying contest because my dad worked for the carpet mill and I always had more string than everybody else. The ribbon always said "highest kite" when in reality it was almost always the lowest kite. I never let the string get too taught, I would instead let it out and it would fall then I would hold the spool and it would climb when it got up a little I would let out another 50 feet or so and keep repeating this until the kite was a long way away. I would win because they would measure the string and assume that equaled a high kite when in fact it just meant I let the string out faster than the other kids........But a perpetual flying kite is a neat deal. What are the winds there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the winds seemed calm a half hour ago and the kite was still flying (six and a half hours up!). I just walked outside to check again and found four pairs of eyeballs shining at me (all that glitters might be critters!). Dunno if the deer were messing with the string or what, but the kite had floated gently down.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Holy B-2 Stealth Bomber Batman!

ummm,

If it's getting tossed around by the wake turbulence of light aircraft, that would seem to imply that it's pretty close to the approach path of a runway.

I guess that raises the question, why are you flying a kite in the approach path of an active airport? Seems like there might be better places to fly a kite.

Post Thanks / Like
    It wasn't tossed at all, so I guess it was ok... outside of the vortexes... but yeah a little close mebbe at 75-100 ft agl, so I'll be looking for a different field. Very surprised that a simple kite (one piece of plastic) stayed up there so long at night all by itself. I expected it to go down when the wind did. It was dead calm at ground level.

Post Thanks / Like
    I expected it to go down when the wind did. It was dead calm at ground level.

Cyclic heating.