• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Widebody Pros and cons

Jeff

Ok boys,
It looks like I will be building a new plane this summer. I will be buying a new fuselage. So the question is, standard or widebody?
Thanks
Jeff Kruse

I have never done it, but I understand that it is a lot of extra work and custom fitting. I would talk to someone who has performed the mod recently and firsthand.

ask and think about the windshield...we had some difficultly with ours 2 years ago.

I think you use the winshield from a pa-12. they say the only other difference is the panel,boot cowl,cabane vee and shock struts. I was just wondering, if there was much difference in how it flew. They say it is 10mph faster.

I believe that one of the more experienced members on this site has flown a bunch in both types of fuselages. As I recall he said that if he were to do rebuild another SC he might not go with the widebody because it felt less like he was wearing it. If you are small enough in physical stature to fit a standard width fuselage you may find that you feel more attached to the plane and that you are able to max perform it easier. You might search this topic on this site as it has been covered in detail. Comments above were by Crash if I remember correctly and were quite insightful.

Bill

Jeff,

Finished my rebuild in April '06, it was a '55 18A also. Took about 10 months work time (2 winters). The Widebody feels like a cub, looks like a cub and flies like a cub, only you have a lot more room and comfort.
I'm 5'10"/190lbs and it fits me great. The Biologists that fly with me after being in Standard Cubs absolutely love it, they can't believe what a difference 4" can make. The 12 windscreen isn't bad to fit, the bottom strips may be your toughest fit. I don't know about the 10mph thing, but flying with a 12 equipped identical I need 100rpm's more to stay with him, ours are built for STOL more than speed though. More will comment on the feeling of wearing their cub, I've spent 14 hour days for a week straight in both and I'll choose the Widebody, you're still very much a part of it when flying. I've never quite understood that opinion, but to each his own. You've got the other differences right, the cabane vee comes with fuselage, you can buy a lot of what you need at Dakota Cub in Brandon, SD they can also help with a lot of your questions. This only matters if you choose the Widebody though.
Good Luck and Have Fun. :D

Brad

I think it all comes down to how big or small you are and how big or small your passengers are.... I'm on the small side of average I think at 5'9 and 170 lbs... Standard frame fits me fine... With my third seat I can put two of my boys in the back for now... when they get older I will be making more trips and plan on having a second larger plane anyhow... If I were closer to 6' and weighed 200 pounds or better than I would definitely want a wide body... For me.. a wide body has more room than I like...

I am around 200 pounds and six foot one inch. So the widebody might be a better fit. I have been in the back of cubs, but never flown one. I climbed in a standard size cub , down at the shop the other day, and shut the door, It seemed like it had more elbow room, than my 170. When sitting next to another guy, with winter gear on it get's pretty tight in the old 170.
As far as the widebody, I was just concerned about how it handled, compared to the standard.

Back