• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Baggage Compartment Question

BES

Esbjerg, Denmark
I found these pictures of a very nice PA-12 on the net and would like to hear your comments on the way this baggage compartment is made:
73400207.jpeg

73400197.jpeg

Notice how the rudder cables run unprotected through the compartment. Is this an acceptable way of doing it? It sure looks nice and the folding upper shelf is a good idea, but I don't know about the cables.

Thanks
Bent

Bent , don't know if it's legal but I personally would want them protected ! I do like all that baggage area.

Erik,

Yes, I think so, too. Maybe one could make half 'pipes' of aluminum,shaped like a C with tabs on it, and fit them over the cables?
Wouldn't it be wise to cover the aileron cables and the flap cable, as well?

Bent

Extended Baggage PA-12

In my 12 we ran the control cables under and behind the extended baggage floor and sides. I've put pictures in my photo gallery which may explain better.

In my PA-14, which has the same floor as a PA-12, the cables are boxed in with aluminum. It is an L shaped piece with a flange on each edge. The short leg attached to the sidewall and the long leg attached to the floor. The aileron cables are boxed in with a shallow U shaped piece with a flange on each edge. Without the cables being protected things could get very interesting, painful, and expensive if they hung up on something.

Back