Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AK this Summer

Post Thanks / Like

AK this Summer

Iím a student pilot (pre-solo, Iím not old enough yet) with around 35 hours. Iím really interested in back country flying and bush flying. My dad and I are going to be going to Alaska this summer, and while weíre there I want to do some flying.
    I would like to get a lesson in a float plane, just for fun, and maybe a scenic flight/lesson. Is that something that I would need to schedule ahead before I go, or could I just figure it out once I get there?
    I also thought it would be neat to fly around Denali. I was looking around on the Internet and found some outfits that do scenic tours of Denali. I thought that would be cool, except if I donít really want to spend oodles of money to have some ells do all the flying. Is it possible to find someone who is a pilot/instructor who would make a lesson out of it, where I got to do some of the flying?
    When we go there, I would like to fly as much as possible, but money is kind of limiting me. If it turns out to be less expensive than I thought, can anyone recommend some more flying activities to do?

-Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Sam,

I don't know anyone that can do that on the cheap. Good luck though. The insurance costs to insure a float plane for instruction ain't cheap. I don't even ask my insurance company what that costs. I don't mind taking people for a ride but I fly the TORCH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sam did you get the cub photos I sent??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Clark
    Sam did you get the cub photos I sent??
    Yes, I did. Thank you for those, they are perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the words "I'm not old enough yet" I've had several friends who's mothers drove them to the airport to solo because they didn't have their drivers license yet. What really sucks is that at 16 you can rent a plane and fly someplace and then can't rent a car when you get there.
    I have a friend that made Captain on a Metro III on his 23rd birthday. He took the check ride early and the ATP became effective when he turned 23. The plane broke at an outstation (imagine that in a Metro) and he needed to rent a car to get back home. The FO had to rent the car because the rental car agency said he needed to be 25.
    Keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get down around Homer, Alaska, give me a call. I do float training and introduction flights. Check out my web page on the e-mail I sent you with the pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snert
    I love the words "I'm not old enough yet" I've had several friends who's mothers drove them to the airport to solo because they didn't have their drivers license yet. What really sucks is that at 16 you can rent a plane and fly someplace and then can't rent a car when you get there.
    I have a friend that made Captain on a Metro III on his 23rd birthday. He took the check ride early and the ATP became effective when he turned 23. The plane broke at an outstation (imagine that in a Metro) and he needed to rent a car to get back home. The FO had to rent the car because the rental car agency said he needed to be 25.
    Keep up the good work.
    Haha Good story.

If you get down around Homer, Alaska, give me a call. I do float training and introduction flights. Check out my web page on the e-mail I sent you with the pics.
    I think we might head down that way. Once we get our travel plans worked out, I'll drop you an e-mail.

Thanks for all the help guys.

-Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Sam

Alaska is a long way to go and cost a lot to get there. As a young pilot take advantage of being there.

If I was you I would take at least 1 lesson from Alex Clark out of homer. You will see things not available near Denali. Like the coast, volcano's and a whole lot more. Perhaps he will take you to a place you can dig razor clams. I have never met Alex but people on this site speak very highly of him and homer is a fantastic place to fly out of to see incredibly scenic sights.

I would also take float a lesson with Don lee out of Talkeetna. His float plane school is at the base of Denali and he is one of Talkeetna's most experienced Glacier pilots. You can combine a scenic flight of the mountain and a lesson. Don's phone is (907) 733-4567

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Talkeetnaairtaxi
    Hello Sam

Alaska is a long way to go and cost a lot to get there. As a young pilot take advantage of being there.

If I was you I would take at least 1 lesson from Alex Clark out of homer. You will see things not available near Denali. Like the coast, volcano's and a whole lot more. Perhaps he will take you to a place you can dig razor clams. I have never met Alex but people on this site speak very highly of him and homer is a fantastic place to fly out of to see incredibly scenic sights.

I would also take float a lesson with Don lee out of Talkeetna. His float plane school is at the base of Denali and he is one of Talkeetna's most experienced Glacier pilots. You can combine a scenic flight of the mountain and a lesson. Don's phone is (907) 733-4567
    Yeah, we're going to go down to Homer and fly with him some.

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Do you know if Don has a web site or e-mail address?

-Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Don Lee runs Alaska Floats and Skis - http://www.alaskafloats.com/