Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Float plane dock

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh comon Irish, you've got a dock with a lift........not a ramp from the lake bottom up onto the shoreline like Dave J. That's what I was referring too.

How do you have it secured to the bottom and floating out on the ends?

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I don't care WHAT you call it--I like it :P .

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Irish, How do you get into that in a heavy wind? I don't see "bumpers" in the U area you pull onto, and the ends are squared and sharp, looks like in a good wind you could dent the side of a float. You've basically got two parallel sides to pull against. You just power it in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike...you talking about the lift...or my wife ? LOL

Stalledout. I guess if you can hit a ramp...you can hit my lift..no different with 12 feet between my finger docks. I'm always crosswind putting it on it and haven't missed YET and yes there is a Goodyear Eagle 16R245 (10" wide) on each inside corner just to be sure! Kinda like shooting an arrow and knowing how to allow for the wind. The double ramps are held to shore with fence T bars driven thru the eye of 3/4" eyebolts attached to the ends of the ramps. The cross dock is a 20 footer and a floater on 10" thick SM. The finger docks are 4' wide x 16 long also on 10" SM. There are 140lbs cement anchors on each end of the cross dock as well as each end of the fingers..and they are cross chained so they don't swing around.

If it's blowing too bad I can sail up to either side of the H dock set up and then use the two bow lines to pull it onto the lift and fill the air tanks and tie her down. My wife is generally there and knows to sink the lift when she hears me fly over...but if she isn't I have to pick a dock and go sink it anyways to put the airplane on it.

Other options, if it's too hairy, are all that floater dock and my other two docks that have T'd ends on. They work really nice. I just L'd a 2x10 and 2x8 together and lagged them to the ends of my old crib docks. Hooped the entire truck tire (x3) onto them before bracing and the water can drop it's 2 foot seasonal fluctuation and the tire still keeps the floats out from under the dock and they roll if the floats bob up and down in boat wakes taking any alum wear out of the equation

It's currenty surviving it's second winter in the ice. Last year it was submerged in amongst 4 feet of ice and frozen slush. I put the lift part up on a 4 x 4 to get it out of the water and let the rest fend for itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Jerry...guess I helped take this way off your needs.

I'd suggest if you don' t know what's there..go in with a swed saw, hand drill with long 5/8 bit, hammer, LOTS of rope and a bag of long spikes. Whether you can get a wing over shore or not will dictate how far out you'll need to put the log. If you can get a wing over shore then get what you need immediately quickly unloaded. Throw a rope on each front/rear cleat on one side. Tie them to something on shore to allow the airplane to go out off the rocks and then use the tie down ring to tie to something at the shoreline and that will hold you out off the rocks. Then cut a tree down, limb it and drill a hole in each end. Put a rope on each end and put the log in the water. If you can get a wing over the shore and the water is deep enough..just something that simple may get you by until you can haul other stuff in. If you need to be out more due to depth or shoreline obstacles..spike a couple smaller logs onto the "dock" log at each end and push it out until those smaller logs are into the shoreline. Weight them down with Rocks and still use those ropes on angles to a tree/rock etc to hold it. Spike down some more logs/boards to make a walk way around center where you'd be unloading..or each end if you are going to have to nose in against the "dock' log.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    I am building a dock on a deep lake with heavy boat traffic. Has anyone used Basta Marine in Washington state ? They make a ramp with a lift it looks like. Can you give me some other names of websites I can look at.

Thanks ,Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    I never did answer stalled's question about how the Beaver sank in Kodiak.

It was tied nose to the dock. That channel is DEEP, and as snow built up on the tail, the aft end of the floats sank down till the pump outs were under water. Water flowed into the aft compartments, reducing floatations there, sinking the aft further, putting more pump outs underwater, etc.

If you have to tie to a dock in deep water, pay attention, and sleep light.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    one sank in Sitka the same way
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like

Float locker (hatch) kit

Couldn't start a new thread so I'll ask here. Does anyone have drawings or photos on installing fish hatches or lockers in EDO floats? I'd like to put them in a set of 2960's we have on a 180. Thanks, Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    EDO sells a kit, which is, I believe, STCd. Otherwise, you'd have to field approve them....good luck with that, since there is an approved product currently available. Unless, of course, you're using these floats on an experimental aircraft.

Don't know what the price is, but it may bring tears to your eyes.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    I never did answer stalled's question about how the Beaver sank in Kodiak.

It was tied nose to the dock. That channel is DEEP, and as snow built up on the tail, the aft end of the floats sank down till the pump outs were under water. Water flowed into the aft compartments, reducing floatations there, sinking the aft further, putting more pump outs underwater, etc.

If you have to tie to a dock in deep water, pay attention, and sleep light.

MTV
    I tried to stay in till the end of Nov 4 years ago. Woke up to 3" of snow that was wet and heavy. I drive past the plane on my way to work and I noticed it listing to the left a 1/2 mile away. When I got to the plane the left 2 rear compartments were under and one on the right rear. It's only in 2' of water so I jumped in and tried to lift the tail but it weighed a ton. It sank right in front of me over the next 10 min. I had to cut the docking lines because I was afraid it was going to pull the cleats out of the floats. Next season when I was checking the floats ( edo1320 ) for leaks I discovered that no one had ever sealed the top deck to the sides, they are now. I have a floating 16' dock on each side and when it starts getting cold I run a 1/2" line under the heels and tie it to each dock pulling up on the heels so that it will have to sink both docks next time. A canoe with a plastic garbage can tipped upside down under the tail of the plane works also. Funny all the weird stuff you learn when you start flying floats that nobody tells you about.

Glenn
    Likes TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevensonjr View Post
    Couldn't start a new thread so I'll ask here. Does anyone have drawings or photos on installing fish hatches or lockers in EDO floats? I'd like to put them in a set of 2960's we have on a 180. Thanks, Bill

Bill,

My 2960s had flush hatches that were installed locally. There was no raised lid and it was hinged along the inboard side as opposed to the forward one like I had with my 2000s with a squared/raised lid. The flush hatch was retained and released with recessed spring latches. Of all the float hatches I've had the flush ones on my 2960s were by far the best ones. They didn't leak and I could walk on them without tripping. I remember Mark @ Thrustline posting a thread that a Big Lake repair station was doing a similar hatch. I believe mine were done further up the road in Willow. In any case you might ought to seek out somebody who can advise you on the flush hatch installation.

I had some photos of my 2960s and 2000s that illustrated the difference in the flush lids and raised rectangular lids but the files are corrupted. Maybe somebody can post some pics of the flush lids. I'd take more but my 2960s are gone and off the top of my head I don't know any other floats with the flush compartment lids. Somebody out there has them, I'm sure. Getting them to speak up is the trick.

SB
    Last edited by sierra bravo; 07-02-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks SB, I've never seen the flush hatch. Anyone have any idea who in Big Lake is installing/building the flush hatches? I contacted EDO and I'm waiting on their info. I'd like to see photo's of either type hatch if someone has the time to post them. Drawings would be great if they exist out there. Thanks again, Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, it's an old thread and I can't find the picture attachments but it may be a place to start. I assume by Mark's description he was talking about the flush hatches.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...=float+hatches

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Gaston View Post
    We are going to have a flyin for all the guys that fly cubs and have a tool box. Torch you can organize the crew because I'll be out trying to catch dinner.
    Sounds good Jerry as long as there is plenty of Crown Royal to help with the organizing. I went out to one of the lakes you and I fished. I had a great night. I was catching real fat 20 inch rainbows as fast as I could bring them in and release them. Had the lake to myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	float5.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	342.8 KB 
ID:	7511.............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	float3.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	7509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	float6.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	511.0 KB 
ID:	7510  
    http://thrustline.com/

Takeoffs are optional--Landings are mandatory

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ever seen hatches on 1320s ?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post
    Sounds good Jerry as long as there is plenty of Crown Royal to help with the organizing. I went out to one of the lakes you and I fished. I had a great night. I was catching real fat 20 inch rainbows as fast as I could bring them in and release them. Had the lake to myself.
    good to hear you are getting some fishing in. Think about our trip many times do you still go to the greyling stream? Would love to return for some fishing but not this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don,

Looking like I will be flying out there for a week or so come september time frame.

If I miss your moose trip, any chance at getting a fish trip with you?? I will be on airport wheels, so limited.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Don,

Looking like I will be flying out there for a week or so come september time frame.

If I miss your moose trip, any chance at getting a fish trip with you?? I will be on airport wheels, so limited.
    Looks like me and the spotted cub will still be in bare flanks until the first of November. If you get up this way, give a holler. I see that bright red torch cub parked on the pond.... retired guy like Don should be flying more.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am building a seaplane dock with ramps or a lift. Need to get 1 Cessna 185 out of water . Can y'all please message me with pictures and ideas.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Got your message IFLY2.. not sure what else I can show you that isn't in the pictures in this thread. 4" x 4" x .375" aluminum frame (made in 2 bolt together sections for transport) and two stainless steel tanks. For a 185 you'll need to make them a little bigger than mine (I'm lifting 1700lb max). You can see in the picture above, the 3" hole shrouded by a section of tube to stop air burping. So you pump air into the tanks to lift the unit and to sink you dump the air and the water fills the tanks thru that hole in the bottom. Simple as that! Cross boards to suit the shape of the float bottom.

Here's a couple more shots..

On shore bolting the two sections together

Floating the assembly around to bolt it into place on the dock. (praying no boats go by!)

Post Thanks / Like
    ..also be sure to set your lift up to have a valve for each tank..... as you'll find from time to time it doesn't come up even, your airplane is a little to one side or with mine the canoe adds about 60 lbs to the right float. I'll look for a picture, can't remember if I took one.... you need a valve for input on/off.. a valve for each tank and another valve to dump the air out of the tanks. 4 valves.. I use 3/4" plastic gate valves that are available very cheaply. They have survived 8 winters so far without issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    K thanks. I will post pictures when competed later this summer !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am firmly entreanched with Mike on the slips. Kenmore Air Harbor has had a company policy since the
    1960's that all their aircraft will be pulled out of the water
    EVERY nite and tied down: Since they had 13 planes crosspiled all over each other one nite.........that were all tied to their dock.
    Mike is also 100 percent correct: about floatplanes sinking with snow On the wings, (when it starts out wet and temps drop it sticks like glue) I was flying out on the Onoko River back in 1991
    And we had a blizzard out there and it droped to 9 below after it dumped 2ft of snow. I was tied up in a backwater and when I got choped out of the ice, and flew up the river
    There were 7 airplanes that were ALL sunk from the snow
    On them. When I flew into McGrath the Kuskokwim River was half frozen on the 20th of September! No one living there had ever seen that before! When I flew past Branhams on Finger Lk they had 3 Helios froze in the lake on floats.I have seen plenty sunk at docks that had leaky
    floats. I watched a nice single Otter blow over "on a bouy" in front of Nain Labrador back in 1977 when it got up to 55kts. (Lab Airways) We had 3 Beavers tied to the dock at Bristol Bay Lodge in 1980 and it came up over 30kts and we ran down to move them and you could NOT untie the ropes because they were like guitar strings; with the loops over the float cleats! We Had to cut the ropes! Just as the last plane got unhooked; the chain broke and the whole dock broke loose....... We dam near had them crushed tied to that dock....And the list goes on and on. I would personally NEVER leave a floatplane on a dock over nite unless it was fully insured, not mine, and forcast to be flat calm. Having flown floatplanes now for 45 years all over Northern Canada, most of Alaska for 30 years. New Zealand, Fiji Islands, and New England. I like a dock for cleaning bugs off the leading edges as well as the next guy. But when its blowing, your going to find me, and MTV on a slip,
    Tied down rock solid, with pure nylon........ Just my 2cw.
    Last edited by TurboBeaver; 09-23-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    Likes Chicken Hawk, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Docks have their advantages, no doubt.

I've put Beavers up on a lot of ramps, however. Beavers work best on ramps IN A WIND as well as every other floatplane I've met.

If your doctor friend comes in a Lake, the dock won't work, but a ramp will--kinda sorta. Better than a dock anyway.

I've never met a floatplane that didn't work well on a dock, and that couldn't take substantial wind better when ramped.

Finally, dock your floatplane alongside a big, deepwater dock. Wait for a dump of nice, wet snow fall. I once walked down to a dock at first light on one of those days, and wondered where the Beaver that'd been tied at the end of the float had gone. I hadn't heard it leave, and I lived right there. Then I noticed the bow lines taught into the water. That was an ugly sight, folks. The four airplanes on the ramps were high and fine, though covered with a bunch of wet sloppy snow.

I like ramps, myself.

MTV

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a dock I'm working on at Red Shirt Lake. Haven't got it in the water yet but plan to next year. End is adjustable and it can be pulled in and out of the water. It's 60 ft. long.

I want to put a 12 ft. wide deck on it. End is adjustable for changing water depth using 1-1/2 all thread.

Can pull it in the fall before freeze up.

My neighbor has a saw mill out there. Cut the lumber there. Deck will be 2in thick boards.

Name:	IMG_2037.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	38928  
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Ruebling View Post
    Here's a dock I'm working on at Red Shirt Lake. Haven't got it in the water yet but plan to next year. End is adjustable and it can be pulled in and out of the water. It's 60 ft. long.

I want to put a 12 ft. wide deck on it. End is adjustable for changing water depth using 1-1/2 all thread.

My neighbor has a saw mill out there. Cut the lumber there. Deck will be 2in thick boards.
    I assume that the wheels will be in the water? Make sure that you provide some protection for your floats as those all threads could make some nasty holes in the bottoms.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    The all thread will be cut off and welded to the top nut. The bottom nut will be welded to the cross beam so as you turn it, it will lift the deck. Shallow water the first 20-30 ft, will dig out the bottom so the truss sits lower toward shore. Will put a floating section at the end of it I think. Want to get is wide enough so I can park a plane on one side and boat on the other.

Actually this is more of a gang way than a dock.
    Thanks skywagon8a thanked for this post
    Likes Ruffair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like the looks of this. Can you tell me where the truss comes from..? Seems Iíve seen them before but canít remember where.
    Kem

Post Thanks / Like
    Craigs List 6 for $300. Tires also $200 on CL. It's heavy stuff but I don't think I'll need to anchor it at all even with a floating section on the end of it. Lake bottom is fairly solid where I'm putting it.

Got the idea from daka.

http://www.dakadock.com/roll-in
    Thanks Ruffair thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Floats, Do you have a drawing of your ramp/float design. I think that is probably the best method. Curious how you kept the dock from wanting to split since its only floating on each side. Any structure tying the two floats together?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you've got a solid bottom. Otherwise, I doubt you'll be able to drag that thing out of the water without a D-9, okay, okay, a D-6 to pull it. Two inch decking is heavy....

MTV
    Thanks Bill.Brine thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you've got a solid bottom. Otherwise, I doubt you'll be able to drag that thing out of the water without a D-9, okay, okay, a D-6 to pull it. Two inch decking is heavy....

MTV
    Yea, I know, but the bottom has a lot of rock in it. It may go in and stay in. Didn't get a change to work on it last summer. Hopefully this summer. Ice is still probably 30in thick on the lake. It may be able to shear ice.

Post Thanks / Like
    One nice thing about floating docks is you can use them as a barge to get things around the lake.
    You can also raft a bunch up for a floating platform for a party (say 4th of July). and you can build them on the ice in the warm March sun, mosquito free. Lots easier to build on the ice when you can walk around and screw decking down without being in the water. All the sections are 8' x 16'.
    If you do raft up on a lake in July, having a beaver alongside is a bonus as you can taxi the works back to where you want it when the wind blows.

anClick image for larger version. 

Name:	dock1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	48191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dock2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	48192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dock3.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	48193 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dock4.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	48190

Post Thanks / Like
    Party barge? Reminds me of the song "Redneck Yacht Club".
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget your couch...

Name:	summer2018 150.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	48220  

Post Thanks / Like
    Fist let me say BIG difference between Michigan 4-seasons cabins and Alaska outposts.
    But I wanted expand on the topic to share what we have built here in the Midwest for our float plane dock on the inland lakes.

https://youtu.be/q35bGpaS6_Q

Itís a solar charged 12V battery operated 4500 lb. hydronic jet ski hoist.
    The ramp frame bolted to the aluminum lift is 6X8Ē womanized lumber,
    The top metal ramp is made from an inexpensive farm gate with wire mesh from Tractor Supply.
    Added an outdoor carpet on top of wire mesh to protect the bottom of the floats.
    We sink it in deeper water under the ice for the winter months, so you donít have to pull it in/out for different seasons. Simply disconnect the two hydraulic hoses with SS quick disconnects.
    You raise the lift with a remote control lanyard once you hit the ramp.
    We used side roller guides from an old trailer to help on windy days.
    Iíve had Super Cubs and other bigger float planes on it and it works great, to get the plane up and out of the big waves. We have tie down straps attached to screw in poles for overnight/weekend/summer stowage.
    Helps stay dry

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4260.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	49094My dock frame is in the water. Now just have to adjust height and install deck.
    Likes CamTom12 liked this post