• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Score one for the wolves

nanook

northern alaska
Heard from some friends up by Central, that one of the wolf hunter cubs needed a ride. The pilot put a little too much sideload on her on the Birch Creek. He told the Feds.," the wind blew it over while we were camping" .
Gee let me see, wreck my cub for a $200.00 wolf hide, and I also get to pay for the gas. Sign me up, I need to be a hero for Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game...

Friends of Wildlife are running an add in the Anchorage Daily News saying they will pay $10,000.00 for video of aerial wolf hunting or wolf hunting.

Are they required to have the pilot and gunner sign a model release form?

If only caribou and moose calves had so many friends.

Jerry

I hope no one is lured into the trap of this radicial extremist anti-hunting group for the $10,000 bucks...

Wildlife is best managed using solid biological data, not some extremists' opinion, personal feeling, or personal bias.

Bending an airplane when working it in off-airport conditions is just a fact of life as a practical matter. In a perfect world, or airport-to-airport operations, there is less chance of bending one.

Pointing fingers, or laying blame to someone who bent an airplane is negative path to go down which rarely, or never has a postive result. Don't ever think it can't happen to you...no one is perfect, and this ain't a perfect world.

I keep extra plane parts in shop for just such an occassion, more than once I was able to help out fellow pilots who needed some part in the field

Going woof hunting this weekend for a week. Does ithave to be from planes????

Christina, are you not an attorney?

Will you take care of the legal ease, for say 10 %. I will shoot vidio of our hunt for the $10k, but they are required to pay.

It may not show the agonizing death of a revered creacher. More like me taking out a 13 year old neighbor and let him experience trapping and snow mobiling and cabin living in the wild. May have to "save the trees" from them nasty loggers :drinking: with buck teeth and flat tails also. The Ptarmigan are eating buds off of the willows, which may cause a shortage of feed fro moose, so will eliminate some of them too.

Call them Cy, let's make some money!

Luke,

thank you for your kind words about troubles.

Nanook, a great guy used to say:

be careful of the words you say, keep them kind and sweet;

for you never know from day to day which ones you will have to eat!

If you have not, you probably will bend or break something. It may be on a clear blue day sight seeing. How would you justify it to yourself then?

aktango58 said:

Jeez, I've been accused of being both a doctor and a lawyer on the same forum!! Where does anyone ever come up with this nonsense?? :crazyeyes:

How about sending them a video of wolves taking down a healthy elk or better yet killing elk calves and eating only the rearend. These people think that wolves only kill the old and sick.

....old or sick.

The greens seem to believe all the myths about the 'regal' wolf. How about this one...

...only the alpha pair mate (not true. The subordinates go to the edges of the packs' territory and mate with the subordinates from other packs)

My wife and I went to a wolf lecture at University of Alaska, Anchorage. Our home is several blocks away from the Anchorage campus and it was convenient to go. We figured we could leave if we were unimpressed. The lecturer is a working biologist. Man, he debunked every one of the common wolf myths. The 'atmosphere' in the lecture hall completely changed as this guy 'shot full of holes' ( :D ) the close-held impressions of all the wolf-huggers whom attended.

I felt quite vindicated and was very amused at the lecturer's effect on the crowd.

Let's not break anything or get hurt hunting, guys. DAVE

Since when does PETA (people for the ethical treatment of animals) and other such groups, use objective science from biologists to determine policy?

Walt Disney is the source of the policy that directs them.

Phil

Christina Young said:
aktango58 said:

Jeez, I've been accused of being both a doctor and a lawyer on the same forum!! Where does anyone ever come up with this nonsense?? :crazyeyes:

At least you haven't been accused of being an astronaut. :yikez:

Jerry

These are not my pictures nor do I know who took them or where they were taken, yet they talk for themselves.

moosewolves1.jpg

moosewolves2.jpg

moosewolves3.jpg

Si

Those pics are pretty enlightening, considering there was four timber wolves in my front yard a few mornings ago !! WOW !! The 30-06 is now loaded and within arms reach !!

I like the article dpearce posted, bean bags and rubber bullets :roll:
Glad to see David didn't trade his 30-06 for a potato gun.

pretty amazing photos......... mother nature at work..... we have our share of wolves and coyotes here too..... they are pretty amazing animals for sure and every year on our ranch we lose a few calves to coyotes... ..... just part of life, I guess they have to eat too........ I would never want to see either species wiped out, that's not to say that I don't take out the odd one that gets a little too friendly....... they have their place though, I feel that they are managed pretty well here along with the other species of wildlife.......on more than one occasion I have seen magpies peck the eyes out of newborn calves, animals of opportunity all of them ......... it appears as though the grizzlies get as many or more moose calves then the wolves do here......... I have seen the wolves get after the caribou in the YK and NWT and yes they are killing machines....... in my opinion though our biggest problem in Canada aren't the wolves but the indians of whom some abuse their unlimited hunting privileges..... take the porcupine caribou herd for instance....... every year it is a slaughter on the Dempster highway north of Dawson City with a 25% wound ratio....of which I am sure many of you are quite familiar with....... .... "maybe you all need another shipment to Yellowstone last I heard the Canadian wolves were doing pretty well down there" Ha Ha just kidding on the Yellowstone comment that is a population that needs some management last I heard.............. ......just what is the current status of wolf management there??[/b]

nanook said:
Heard from some friends up by Central, that one of the wolf hunter cubs needed a ride. The pilot put a little too much sideload on her on the Birch Creek. He told the Feds.," the wind blew it over while we were camping" .
Gee let me see, wreck my cub for a $200.00 wolf hide, and I also get to pay for the gas. Sign me up, I need to be a hero for Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game...

Yea it is a lot safer flying Gordon Haber around isn't it! and you could be a Hero for the other side. :D :preach

Nocub said:
Since when does PETA (people for the ethical treatment of animals) and other such groups, use objective science from biologists to determine policy?
Phil

I thought PETA meant People Eating Tasty Animals?

There is nothing like saying the "W word" to get folks from both sides fired up.

Nevertheless, predators of all stripes have been doing this for centuries, and big game populations seemed to sustain themselves.

When the folks in the Upper Yukon Valley asserted that the beavers are blocking the streams so the whitefish can't get up into the tributaries to spawn, I ask the question: Whatever did the whitefish do before the Hudson's Bay Company came into the country and started buying beaver pelts?

Wolves are predators. I have to admire them for one thing---I've never seen a human hunter who'd have the cajones to run up and latch on to a moose's hamstring with his or her teeth.

Wolves regularly get the crap kicked out of them. They get broken bones, and they sometimes die as a result. Most of them mend and get back to doing what they do: kill prey and eat it.

Is there waste? No doubt, sometimes, but not frequently. They generally eat whatever they can, and then lounge for a while, and then feed again.

Now, before everyone gets their dander up, and attacks me with bared fangs, let me say that I have absolutely no problem with killing a few wolves, as long as the population can sustain the harvest. Just like any other species of game.

And, just as a by and by, there has NEVER been a documented case of wolves attacking a human that I'm aware of.

Cepting those dang werewolves, of course.

Oh, yeah, Little Red's Grandma, of course.

Again, I don't have a problem killing a few wolves, including using aircraft to do so. I've hunted coyotes from the air. The coyotes get even fairly frequently in those deals as well.

I think wolves, moose, caribou and all other game animals should be managed to maintain healthy populations of them all, and if any portions of those populations need some trimming, open a season.

Easily said, not so easily done.

:peeper
MTV

Are you more likely to die by lightning or by wolf?

You have a greater chance of being killed or injured by the rarity of lightning strike than by wolf attack.

The largest number of wild wolves in conterminous USA live in Minnesota, around 2,500 (Mech 2001), and are among the most studied wolves in the world. The wolves have killed no one, but each year one or two people die in Minnesota by lightning strike (NOAA).

It still creeps me out when I find fresh wolf prints in my own 1 hour old tracks in the snow. Makes you look over your shoulder for awhile.

mvivion said:
And, just as a by and by, there has NEVER been a documented case of wolves attacking a human that I'm aware of.
MTV

I remember reading about this when it happened. So did a search and found it.

Death in Canada could alter state's wolf debate; Apparent attack
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The, Dec 22, 2005 by LEE BERGQUIST

The grisly circumstances surrounding the death of a 22-year-old man in northern Saskatchewan are likely to influence the debate over wolf policy in Wisconsin.

On Nov. 8, student Kenton Joel Carnegie was walking alone near a remote camp owned by a mining exploration company when it is believed that he was killed by wolves.

Though an investigation is continuing, some wolves in the area had been attracted to a garbage dump and appeared to be less fearful of humans. Thus far authorities said Carnegie's death is thought to be the first documented case in the wild of healthy wolves killing a human in North America since 1900.

"I think you can safely say that wolf attacks are rare, and fatal attacks are unknown," said Paul Paquet, a wolf biologist at the University of Calgary who is helping to investigate the death for provincial authorities. "So this attack is really exceptional."

In Wisconsin, citizens and officials who are involved in wolf policy say the purported attack will shape the wolf debate at a time when the population of the animal is growing in the state.

I would repeat, "There has never been a DOCUMENTED case of a human killed by a wolf, that I'm aware of."

The case in Saskatchewan is a possible exception, but I don't believe they ever concluded the wolves had killed him. Perhaps they never will, so that one could have been wolves killing him or wolves feeding on him after he died from other causes.

But, ask yourself this: They are predators. Why wouldn't they?

More to the point, if there are so many of the big furry buggers around, why aren't we all carrying AK-47s and looking over our shoulders when out in the woods?

People die all the time for a variety of reasons.

Who knows--but I don't worry too much about the big bad wolf when I'm hiking around their neighborhood.

Bringing up the scare tactics of the Big Bad Wolf is pretty lame. As the man said, you're probably more likely to be killed in your Super Cub, after being struck by lightning.

So you're going to stop flying :)?

MTV

mvivion said:
I would repeat, "There has never been a DOCUMENTED case of a human killed by a wolf, that I'm aware of."MTV

I remember encountering wild dogs when a teenager growing up in Minnesota. Now, if you want to meet up with some nasty animals that are not afraid of humans, try them. Best to be armed if they are packed up, which they often did in the winter. Fortunately, the local farmers would spot them in the area and within a week, they seemed to be gone. Wouldn't surprise me if there was some wolf blood in some of them.

Wolves and Bears are two animals that seem to go back to your first encounter with them, how old you were and what the circumstances were.

My first real world wolf incident I was 10 or 11, down on the end of the lake riding the old '74 skidoo everest. What a machine for it's day. A wolf walked out onto the ice between me and the cabin. Everytime I took off for the cabin the wolf would run an intercept course and cut me off. I wasn't too happy about that and pretty nervous. We played this cat and mouse game for seemingly forever. When the family came to look for me, the ran the wolf right towards me. Didn't like that one bit. To this day, if there are not wolves around, it doesn't bother me.

Just have to have something like that happen once and it sticks with you.

I understand it's a balance thing, just balance them somewhere else.

:crazyeyes:

OK, have to edit this. Turns out i am a hypocrit according to my wife who points out I put wolf urine on the hedge to keep the moose off it. So while I dislike them out in the woods,apparently I don't mind their scent around my yard.

cubflier said:
Christina Young said:
aktango58 said:

At least you haven't been accused of being an astronaut. :yikez:

Jerry

At least not yet. :lol:

Back