• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

160 H.P. Conversion

I've been looking into this myself for my plane, and while searching this site I found this thread.

Darrel sums it up nicely and wraps it with a bowtie in post #5

I'm not a member, an the site won't allow me to post URL's, so search

160 HP Paperwork problem - help!

$25 for member rights will give you enough info to spend tens of thousands of more dollars :lol:

Glenn

I have a narrow deck engine, 150 hp, with nitride cylinders, and serial number ends in "A". I'm a contradiction.

i asked a mechanic that has done 160 conversions, and he said the Allen lugs at the base of the cylinder are narrow deck giveaway. Vs nuts? I think.

Also a wide deck case is squared off from the spine to the cylinder bases whereas the narrow deck is sloped from the spine to the cylinders.

I don't get this? In the past I had 160 narrow deck original engines, not conversions. Why can't you convert a narrow deck as well, assuming you use the plates over the internal wrenching style cylinder hold downs?

The low compression narrow-deck doesn't use the kidney plates. The high compression narrow-deck has longer through bolts and cylinder base hold down studs to accommodate the use of the cylinder base reinforcing kidney plates.

I have a narrow deck engine, 150 hp, with nitride cylinders, and serial number ends in "A". I'm a contradiction.

i asked a mechanic that has done 160 conversions, and he said the Allen lugs at the base of the cylinder are narrow deck giveaway. Vs nuts? I think.

Does it look like that "A" is a stamp someone put there after it left the factory??
Compare the serial # on the oil pan with the stamp on the case parting line at the top of the engine towards the back. You might have a mix of parts.

Honestly, never looked for it on my engine. The mechanic that did my pre-buy/annual confirmed what the seller had told me, it's a narrow deck. The mechanic that works on it now reconfirmed. Both mechanics are old time cub guys, one has his own engine stc.

I was was interested in this thread because I thought if I ever had an excuse to do something with my engine, I would like to have 160hp. Alas, as of yet, no excuse. Cylinders are tight and no oil usage. Only problem I am having, oil temp too low. With 99 deg oat and dragging around amphib floats, I think I saw 190 deg oil temp once, otherwise usually 160- 180. At 35 deg oat with the winter front, no floats, I can get it to 185 deg I've yet to fly it with any colder oat, almost afraid to.

The serial number came from the Mattituck overhaul engine log entry along with Nitride cylinder info. This overhaul was done in NY before Mattituck closed. Hoping if I ever want more info I can get it from corporate in AL.

I have a 0320-A2D wide deck 150 hp, cylinders are old style steel straight bore. I have them at the engine shop as we speak

My question is would you bore these to 10 thou over and install the 160 pistons and rings , these where factory new with 1300 TTSNEW i want to run the engine to TBO, at that time i would buy new cylinders

Option #2 is buy 4 overhauled nitrated cylinders that are chocked @ 1200 per cylinder

Thanks

Gerry

Lycon offers an O-320 lycoming 150-160 STC for wide decks... Pretty sure the Pistons and wrist pins are the only difference..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You only have 700 to go to TBO. Unless there are issues with those cylinders, I would just scuff them up and reinstall. Since you propose spending big bucks at TBO save your money for then.

I have a 0320-A2D wide deck 150 hp, cylinders are old style steel straight bore. I have them at the engine shop as we speak

My question is would you bore these to 10 thou over and install the 160 pistons and rings , these where factory new with 1300 TTSNEW i want to run the engine to TBO, at that time i would buy new cylinders

Option #2 is buy 4 overhauled nitrated cylinders that are chocked @ 1200 per cylinder

Thanks

Gerry

Why are they at the shop? If airworthy, the above post is great advice!

I agree with the above posts.

To really give solid advice we need to know whats with your cylinders. If the bore was in decent shape you could get pistons and pins for those cylinders for around $1500 CAN plus the price of the STC...
Run those to TBO and then replace them. It's a $7000 CAN touch for new cylinders, so the other option will get you lots of flying proir to spending the big dollars.

The low compression narrow-deck doesn't use the kidney plates. The high compression narrow-deck has longer through bolts and cylinder base hold down studs to accommodate the use of the cylinder base reinforcing kidney plates.

I guess that means my 150 Pacer will remain 15o and not turn into a 160 at midnight. Makes sense.

That would be my guess. Hone/crosshatch your old cylinders and run them for a few more years. Make sure you check them for cracks, especially around the exhaust ports.

I run a 82x43 prop on floats and wanted a bit more power, I run 100 ll. And if I am stuck I can get premium, hope the switch was a good decision. Thanks

You can run premium Mogas in a 160 hp if you can find it. We had it a few years ago but just regular unleaded ethanol free now. That is why my SC is still 150 hp $2.39 Mogas or $3.69 100 LL.

The ability to burn mogas is a big deal for me, non-mogas compatibke would be a deal-killer.
At least as my local source(s) for E-zero mogas remain.

As far as 92 octane requirements...how about a mix of half 87 octane mogas & half 100LL?
I've heard that their octane ratings are calculated differently, but not sure about that.
Otherwise seems like that mix should give about
93 octane, so plenty good enough for a 160hp 320 Lyc (or a 360 Lyc).

My friend the chemical engineer who has worked the the oil refining industry most of his life says that mixing 87 octane Mogas with 100LL 50/50 will work.

Bart (Aerosport) built me a wide deck that puts out 175 hp burning prem. mogas. Fuel truck sells me 91 oct (marked) cheaper than regular @ the pumps.

Bart (Aerosport) built me a wide deck that puts out 175 hp burning prem. mogas. Fuel truck sells me 91 oct (marked) cheaper than regular @ the pumps.

I don't get any discount here fuel delivered is 1.90 per liter or 10 dollars a gallon , 200 gal = $ 2000.00 for my summer fun

My friend the chemical engineer who has worked the the oil refining industry most of his life says that mixing 87 octane Mogas with 100LL 50/50 will work.

My low-compression O-470 is approved for 87 octane mogas,
but I generally run 4:1 mogas / 100LL, to get a little lead into the mix.
Petersen Aviation (one of the mogas STC holders) says that 3:1 is roughly equivalent to the lead content of the old 80/87 avgas. They recommend this combination for radial engines.
I do 4:1 because it works out better with the number of gas cans I have. :oops:

Just before my cylinders where ready to ship back to me I had another closer look at my cam. My engine was a factory new wide deck 43 year old and 1350 ttsnew. Now headed to the engine shop for 0 S.M.O.H. Not the best way to start my new year.!!!!

View attachment 29327

Does anyone know of another STC for modifying the engine. Lycon has been mentioned here, but are there any other that hold a "similar" STC?

My Super Cub project came with a Narrow Deck O320/150HP which was going to need rebuilding. I wanted to go with 160HP so I asked a lot of people and searched everything I could find. Some say the narrow deck is slightly lighter while others say it is not. I could never find any conclusive reason not to stay with the Narrow Deck so I had Lycon rebuild it to 160HP using the "Banana plates, etc". They also did the flow balancing and anything else they could legally do and "supposedly" it is putting out 180HP.

I also have a PA-12 which I bought about 18 months ago which has a Narrow Deck O320/160 HP. Engine and airplane were rebuilt in 2010. Engine was done by Randy Rubbert. Before rebuild it had an original 12 engine. Previous owner specifically chose a Narrow Deck for the rebuild. It now has about 300 hours on it and runs great and makes great power.

Gary

I did the job of getting the lycon STC approved in Sweden for all Swedish aviators to use. Bought it for my super cub, and used the Cubcrafters stc for installation on the airframe.
Now I am about to upgrade another super cub in the same way, and have already bought the Cubcrafters STC. Lycon aswered at first, but does not reply anymore. Maybe they have a long christmas holiday? I want to buy the STC now because I am about to assemble the engine. But its hard when they do not respond.

I did the job of getting the lycon STC approved in Sweden for all Swedish aviators to use. Bought it for my super cub, and used the Cubcrafters stc for installation on the airframe.
Now I am about to upgrade another super cub in the same way, and have already bought the Cubcrafters STC. Lycon aswered at first, but does not reply anymore. Maybe they have a long christmas holiday? I want to buy the STC now because I am about to assemble the engine. But its hard when they do not respond.

I've been doing business with Lycon since 1998 on numerous aerobatic engines. I know Ken Tunnel personally and trust them working on my engines. When I have had problems, they have stood behind their work and not tried to pass the blame elsewhere. But they are notorious for communication problems. If you ever get Ken on the phone, he will talk as long as you want and is full of information. I continue to hope communications with them will improve but my expectations are low. I consider having to pester them a bit just the price of doing business with them.

Back