• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

160 H.P. Conversion

I've been doing business with Lycon since 1998 on numerous aerobatic engines. I know Ken Tunnel personally and trust them working on my engines. When I have had problems, they have stood behind their work and not tried to pass the blame elsewhere. But they are notorious for communication problems. If you ever get Ken on the phone, he will talk as long as you want and is full of information. I continue to hope communications with them will improve but my expectations are low. I consider having to pester them a bit just the price of doing business with them.

I had really great support from them via a guy named Garry Fisher, but he is no longer employed by lycon. I guess I will have to wait and see.. (but its soon been a month since last Contact though)

I have an ex R22 O320-B2C (wide deck) that Im hoping to transplant into our cub (ill buy the CCs STC if I have to). It needs an overhaul first. I was going to buy brand new Cylinders. My current engine is an old -A2A Narrow deck. Will my accessories swap over? ie Alternator and oil screen mounts?

Wide deck or narrow?
It’s a wide deck O320A2B. 1962 airplane but not the original engine.

Lycoming tech support was a little bit helpful. They said I had to do my own research. Has anyone converted an O320A2B to a O320BXX? if so which model did you convert to?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm also looking at performing the 160 hp upgrade on my wide deck 0320-A2B. Its at the shop right now (Canada), and they are telling me there is no current STC available to do it. Aircraft is a 1956 PA-18A-150.

I find it hard to believe there is nothing out there to get it done. Help!

Stc

What shop did you have your engine done at. I did mine in 2018 and had no problem here in Canada

I'm also looking at performing the 160 hp upgrade on my wide deck 0320-A2B. Its at the shop right now (Canada), and they are telling me there is no current STC available to do it. Aircraft is a 1956 PA-18A-150.

I find it hard to believe there is nothing out there to get it done. Help!

The engine is currently at Progressive in Kamloops. I see the STC for the install to the airframe from Cubcrafters (SA005229E), but having trouble finding the STC from Lycon (or anyone else.

Where did you have your engine work done?

Mine was done at Aeroatellier in Quebec. Contact Lycon for the stc as per Steve Pearce remarks

The engine is currently at Progressive in Kamloops. I see the STC for the install to the airframe from Cubcrafters (SA005229E), but having trouble finding the STC from Lycon (or anyone else.

Where did you have your engine work done?

What happened to the Sea-Air STC? Aero Engines bought it and ? Charley Center had an install PA-18 (160hp) no floats though.

Charley never finished the float testing part of the STC for some reason? Fed told me he wouldn’t field approve...

Charley never finished the float testing part of the STC for some reason? Fed told me he wouldn’t field approve...

A long time judge in Fairbanks worked through a field approval on his Cub years ago. Wasn't simple, as I recall, but he got it done.

MTV

probably had better leverage than I did...

Actually, as I recall, he didn’t have any leverage. Mechanics suggested “Dont ask, don’t tell” to which he responded essentially that doesn’t work in his court, and he felt he needed to be held to a high standard. He got it done, can’t recall if it was a FA or a one time STC. Wasn’t quick or easy, whatever.

MTV

To be fair the Fed who did the field approval for me was one who I had known for 35+ years and was at the time working in the regional office. His boss was a personal friend of mine. However, I actually cheated a bit. I derated the engine to 150 hp and placarded the new red line on the tach at the rpm which made 150 hp. Since with the long prop which was on it, it wouldn't turn to 2700 rpm on takeoff anyway it was not really a restriction. Then since the engine was now 150 hp, there was no float plane limitation.

Actually, as I recall, he didn’t have any leverage. Mechanics suggested “Dont ask, don’t tell” to which he responded essentially that doesn’t work in his court, and he felt he needed to be held to a high standard. He got it done, can’t recall if it was a FA or a one time STC. Wasn’t quick or easy, whatever.

MTV

Clearly, don’t ask don’t tell should be used judiciously (pun intended). Engine install vs. a wet compass which is suddenly no longer empty nor leaking are two entirely different things. At least in my way of thinking...

Back