• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Which door to build

storm_pilot

Casselton, ND
The northland CD has drawings for two different doors. PN# 12257 is constructed with square tubes and has the traditional piano hinge on the bottom. PN# 50173 is constructed with round tubes, has fairing strips on the fore and aft edges, and incorporates simple hinges using bolts.

What are the pros or cons of either door?

I'm inclined to build with round tubes and fairings for a better seal.

The PN# 50173 door was for the J3, PA 11. If you are going to use lexan on the lower door you can leave the lexan long to overlap for the seal.

When looking at the drawings on the CD, I will often go to the PA-18 parts catalog to see if that drawing(part) still applies and to which model (125hp, 135hp, or 150hp, all the above).

One thing I have found is the Northland CD is missing quite a bit of the latest drawings that are available for the PA-18 and nobody seems to have them. Some of them are available at Cub Club and others must be locked away in Vero Beach.

Thanks Bugs, I just read your post on the stringers. I have been debating wether or not to build the topdeck before I know exactly how the wings are going to fit. Did you have any problems or are the drawings pretty reliable?

storm_pilot said:
Thanks Bugs, I just read your post on the stringers. I have been debating wether or not to build the topdeck before I know exactly how the wings are going to fit. Did you have any problems or are the drawings pretty reliable?

I believe all the primary structure drawings on the Northland CD are plenty good to use. Just keep in mind all these drawings are for the L-21B which is an earlier PA-18. The Northland CD does have the updated fuselage with most "Alaska" mods.

Back