• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Noise patrol

Don't believe for a moment that there is NOT interest in virtually every park in this concept.

Note that, while the Denali National Park and Preserve Comprehensive Plan completed last year did continue to permit aircraft overflights and even landings, it also required the park to establish "noise monitoring programs". Guess where they put the monitors?

Airstrips, of course.

MTV

"I've circled the globe three times in pursuing silent places," he said.

And how did HE circle the globe? - sailboat? I'd bet not, the #$%^ing hippocrate!

Ya know, if ya smoke the right cigarettes, I'm told you can circle the globe while sitting in your living room.

Or a NP.

MTV

Noise Patrol

I don't know where the rest of you guys fly but I can tell you from firsthand experience that there are people who are obsessed enough with airplane noise to stay up all night and count every single airplane that flys over.I was in a line office one Sunday morning when a woman came thru the door screaming that airplanes were driving her crazy and the airport had to close right now!It seems there was some discussion about this on a previous thread.Unfortunately these are the type of people who will persue the cause until they get their way.All this guy has to do is convince Homeland Security that terrorists are targeting our national parks!In Cambridge MA[the origin of all the tru weirdos,we call it the country of Cambridge,they really consider themselves special] they are in the process now of banning leafblowers.Noise is an issue and the squeaky wheels usually get the grease.

I'll bet if old Chuck Lindbergh knew his money was being used to push planes out of the parks he would be a little less generous to this whacko.

Noise

Im curious about how airparks can protect themselves from complaints about noise. Here in Washington State. Cluster housing is a big issue here. Land is being bought up all over by big contractors and there squeezing alot of airparks. Noise is a big issue with new neighbors that are none flyers. Any ideas would be helpful.

This kinda stuff and death cults are all a product of population density getting too high...but, don't worry, the "depopulation" should be coming along soon... :peeper

but, having said that, if I had a quasi-constant speed flex three blade prop that I could put on to quiet things down, I'd think hard about doing it...measured 109db in my cockpit today at cruise....126db on takeoff....sooner or later, an IO-520 screaming out of strips in Idaho is going to get to be too much....

Canada is trying to do this already, banning aircraft traffic from flying over parks. When I was flying back from Alaska this summer, I spoke with several people in Alberta about flying to Banff. There is a public airstrip there, and they warned me to be careful, that the park rangers would give you a hard time if you flew in there.

Even though it is public!!! They say that small planes "scare the wildlife". Of course, I was told that these same park rangers fly their Bell Jetrangers all over the park all the time, but that somehow doesn't "scare the wildlife"!! :bad-words:

This is bogus, and to a large extent about denying access as they want to ban all aircraft, not just the noisy ones. A lot of these parks you just can't see from the ground.

Common sense should tell us that unless we take some premptive action to reduce noise, things will just get worse...when I look at sites that advertise composite props, the noise specs don't seem to be obvious...or even present...I think I'll get my buddy with his sound level meter/spectrum analyzer and measure noise on the ground at various rpms...with the plane overhead at 500 agl...
In the meantime, just running at minimum RPM over sensitive areas ought to be our standard practice...
According to theory, we ought to be able to reduce noise and increase efficiency....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Theory, theory and practice are the same; in Practice, they aren't...

Noise Patrol

I don't think prop noise is the major factor from overflying aircraft.Yes props do make noise especially wound up on takeoff.That said,I believe engine noise to be the problem in aircraft flying overhead.Look at the muffler size on the vehicle you are driving.If you took the muffler from a Supercub [320 cu in] and put it on a 350 chevy it would be loud.I said this on a previous thread.What aviation needs are really good effective mufflers.If people on the ground could not hear us the negative attention would drop dramatically.No one would ever notice we were there.This is not new.Nearly all motorsports have come under fire for the noise they generate and all have had to do something about it.I for one think we should be proactive and do something to attract less attention before some idiot tells us we can't fly where we would like to. Bill

The first generation of mufflers and props to limit noise in Europe have resulted in large, multi-blade props that run at lower efficiency, and long, down-the-belly mufflers that reduce efficiency...for bush work, just a little of that becomes dangerous... :( ...the cockpit noise peaks at 80Hz, which is blade passes per second AND power strokes per second....if you had a three blade prop, you could spread that out to 80Hz and 104 Hz and reduce the peak amplitude at 80..resulting in less overall noise peak amplitudes...belly mufflers would sure reduce the belly pod options, though.....
Just thinking out loud....bzzt ...pop...

Noise

Not long ago they wanted to put diapers on horses in the wilderness areas? and another time no one could walk into a wilderness area, they try alsorts of things or at least want to. I can't see them stopping a small plane from flying over a wilderness area or national park as long as they are at altitude so as not to freak out the animals. But Im sure thats in the works.

The best solution to aircraft noise is to improve takeoff and climb performance. That's how you pass a noise test during certification under FAR 23, by the way.

While there are all sorts of antis out there, it is also true that we airplane people need to consider our actions. I've seen some pilots being more obnoxious than they had to, and that doesn't serve our purposes well.

There is a person lives southeast of FAI with ATC on speed dial. Why? Cause they have heavy four engine transports going through their yard daily. Don't believe it? I watched it. All those folks in the planes had to do is go five miles south, and they wouldn't fly over anyone, and they were below 500 feet crossing the ridge. That doesn't make any sense at all.

But, sometimes you just can't win.

Unfortunately the air tour industry drives a lot of the noise complaints in parks, which then drives other aircraft regs.

If we all are as polite as we can be, it's about all you can do, frankly, and be proactive when new regs are proposed.

MTV

Back