• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Glastar Sportsman

LT

Port Townsend, WA
Any cub drivers out there try out the new Glastar Sportsman? I'm curious about it's short field abilities compared to Supercubs. It's got a lot higher wing loading, but those big fowler flaps look effective too....

Haven't flown one, but would love to hear from some who have. The Sportsman is on my short list of "planes to fly before I die".

I get them all confused, but if it is the one with the fiberglas fuselage, metal wings, and otherwise like a 2-place 180, it is an absolute delight to fly. But if short field is your primary mission, a Cub or C-180 is better.

Most of the popular homebuilts - RVs, Kitfox, Glastar, even the Thorp T18, have delightful control response. None are built for sandbars. Except for the Cub clones, and maybe a few other look-alikes.

LT, Ive actually flown it. Contact me off line and I will tell you about it. Thats my cub in the article.

I looked at the Sportsman several years ago when I was deciding to build a kitplane. Really it was on my short list. I ended up going with building a Murphy Rebel. It pretty much came down to the cost. The Sportsman is a sexy looking airplane.

Kase, Ditto here also!!!

Come on Allan, we want to know about it. I respect your opinion on these things especially taking into account your experience and seeing your abilities.

I remember when it came out. My Dad had a kitfox he had just finished and we drooled over the Glastar. I figured it would be a nice airplane to build and own.

Gear

From what I have observed and actually have a video of. The problem would be the tubular gear. It not only articulates up and down but also forward and rearward. The fuselage goes pretty much down the runway and each Bushwheel does it's own thing. They both just flop around all directions. Put a different gear on them and they would be nice. Jerry.

I noticed that, too, but on pavement at least it seemed to have no effect. A wheel landing is a thing of finesse, but then, so is the C-180. We found the Sportsman pretty much flies on if you leave it alone, but if you are one of those guys who shoves forward on touchdown it is going to protest. These are gorgeous airplanes - but a Cub is so much more . . .

Nice flying airplane. Its no Super Cub and the factory is the first to admit it. I would consider it a 1000 ft grass runway airplane for the average pilot. My first landing in it was on a 800 ft grass strip slightly up hill. Landed in about 300 ft with 2 POB, 100 lbs of stuff and 30 gallons of gas. Took off in about the same going down hill. On the other strip we were at I took off and landed in around 5-600 ft at 3500 elevation and 70 degrees. I think it would be great for a camping airplane or going to ID etc. Like Jery said it just aint heavy duty enough to go poineer new runways. I forget how fast in went but flying next to my Super Cub they were at 14 in mp.

Here is a Glastar Sportsman I encountered at Peavine Bar (Wrangell-St Elias Natl Park).

Christinas_Alaska_Pics_Vol_II_109s.jpg

I flew in here to use one of the two public use cabins here as a base for exploring Wrangell-St Elias. A couple from Birchwood was using the other and owned the Sportsman. I got to talking with them about it over the campfire, and they said pretty much the same thing as everyone else on this thread so far. They had 26" Goodyears on it, and said Peavine was about the extent they were willing to take it with regards to "rough". They could go to bigger tires, but what about the spindly gear....

I have about 300 hours over two years in a 160 hp Glastar I built as a taildragger and love it. I do not take it into rough or narrow spots anymore due to the spring gear and wide stance. It is on 26" Bushwheels and cruses at 125 mph at 2550rpm and 140mph on 600x6 wheels. It will haul 700 pounds and light gets of in 350' and normal load 450', climb out at 90mph is in the 1000fpm range and light and cold temperatures during timed climbs I have gotten 1600fpm. It is great for trapping out of as I can be on the west side of the Alaska Range in a little over and an hour and who need a mountain pass when you can be at 7000' in an easy 10 min. climb. When it comes time to get serious about getting short or rough I used my 100hp Lite Cub. The Star is not a Cub and stalls dirty 48mph, I have found myself using it more the the Cub but would not be with out a Cub.

Can I put a sportsman oleo style gear on my glastar? Anyone heard of doing that? My tailfeathers are done and haven't touched fuselage so good timing

Call Ted at glasair he was trying other suspensions on the glastar a while back

Cub Gear on a Sportsman

On the Glasair/Glastar/Sportsman forum there are several threads on Cub style gear. The factory does have a retrofit but it's a touch spendy. There is someone in Alaska that is also saying they will have a set of gear legs. Here is what they posted in Feb 2014:
"We are still working on the cub style gear. Ours will be unique as to NGA's. It will be available in 3 shock variations. The lowest cost will be bungee style, next is the polymer style (same as NGA) and the best is a adjustable air shock system which will be superior to the polymer system. You can upgrade from bungee to the other two systems with a simple change out of the shock strut. We are incorporating a socket for a detachable mud flap and step.
Hoping to have available early summer! " - when asked about price - "Yes! The bungee system will be substantially less! Were hoping to bring the bungee system in at under $4000. The polymer were hoping to offer around $5200 and the air shock around $6500. These are just estimates at this time and hope we will even do better than these prices! "

Attachments

• GlastarToughGear.jpg
    GlastarToughGear.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 281
Call Ted at glasair he was trying other suspensions on the glastar a while back

Saw his airplane at Jefferson the other day. Cub style gear, plus square tail shaped exactly like a C180, with an O-390 (I think) with MT prop (I think) on the nose. Not your fathers GlaStar Sportsman.

Teds Sportsman

Ted had it at OSH he did a number of mods, prime goal to make it light, did a nice job, fun stuff. Fabric control surfaces, tall gear, carbon fiber hull, barn door flaps, drilled lightening holes in everything he could.........

Back