• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rattle can paint(s)?

Longwinglover

Charlotte, NC
Is there any paint in a rattle can form that could remotely be called good enough to use as "permenant" paint if one isn't in a situation condusive to setting up the spray gun and mixing a bigger than really necessary amount of expensive, quality paint? :eek:

As a primer for a) aluminum or b) steel.

As a finish coat for a part.

Assume that we are talking about parts that wont have much wear from physical contact like the torque tube or a compression tube in a wood spar J3 wing.

If you think there is a possibility of using something, would you use straight from the can or decant into a small paint gun / airbrush?

John Scott

rattle cans

my local shop will make a rattle can while you wait with what ever you like . that does't work for emron and that kind of paint

I often wondered about that myself. I like the automotive acrillic enamels you can get in a rattle can. They seem very durable and produce a nice finish if done correctly.

Be careful with rattle cans/bomb cans, the paint therein can be lifted by almost any good aircraft/automotive paint later..resulting in a dissapointment....sorry but like many things, there is a right way and a way that can end in dissapointment, rattle cans should be outlawed except for lawn furniture.

Except for J-3 wing fittings, where all you are doing is preventing rust. I have found that plain old Krylon seems to do fine. Better to use epoxy on the strut attach fittings, since the can stuff is not dope-proof. And now most Cubs are stored in hangars, making serious corrosion problems a thing of the past. Opinion.

Gosh, I just tried the neatest cheapest little touch-up gun and it worked great!

I sprayed two-part epoxy primer on tubing with the SA-PP01 Primer Pistol (available from your local parts store or Aircraft Tool Supply). The paint reservoir is a plastic film can and the nozzle air pressure blows across the top of a tube into the film can and sucks out the paint. I necked the pressure down with a regulator and it made a decently controllable round pattern.

The best part is the clean-up...throw away the film can. Done.

Vickie

Aircraft Spruce sells Zinc Chromate primer and self etching primer in rattle cans. They also have a good selection of paint.

NAPA stores sell a Martin-Senour product in spray cans. I have used their self etching primer, am not sure of colors. It seems to be a quality product. www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/ap/ap.html , click on aerosols. I also use a gravity fed HVLP gun and a small soup ladle for measuring small quantities. Gravity guns use all the material, you would be suprised at how far a 1/2 cup of material will go for small parts etc. Cleanup and fresh air supply is the only hassle. www.spraygunworld.com Sharpe Finnex 300 @ $74 does a very fine job. Jim

I used Rustoleum Appliance epoxy in spray can for my lift struts, jury struts, landing gear and other parts. Works great, easy to use, touch up is a breeze. Now bear in mind I dont intend to take my bird to Oshkosh to win awards. I'm always strapping the auger or snowshoes to the struts, runnin' through the mud, sand, slush...etc. so I wanted something that could be touched up without alot of hassle. So far it has held up great. Rebiuld was completed in Feb. of '03.

I use those PREVAL spay jars from home depot, works pretty good for small parts, stripes, small panels, and inspection covers. Its a self contained air pressure canister and glass jar. Just mix your paint or epoxy primer and spray. Costs $3.00 bucks

The only problem I've found with the Preval sprayers is shooting Poly-fiber products. They seem to spray too much volume. Or I could be doing something wrong. :eek:

So...

My intent is to try to avoid the necessity of setting up any spray gun system and/or mixing up a batch of 2 part epoxy primer.

What are recommendations for "rattle can" primers? Martin Senor? Tempo? Dupli-Color?

John Scott

rattle cans

The best I've used are P.O.R. for primer and Plasticote for topcoat.
P.O.R is quite impressive.
Ron

I just bought a case of SEM acid etch primer for $9.00 a can. I paid $15.00 here for the same can of primer retail. PM me for the source.
TIm

Re: rattle cans

Ron Babos said:
The best I've used are P.O.R. for primer and Plasticote for topcoat.
P.O.R is quite impressive.
Ron

What's P.O.R. ??? :-?

rattle cans

behindpropellers: Never actually used it for it's designed intention mainly cause I blast rusted parts clean first. I have however used their self etching aerosol for Cleveland magnesium wheels. Sticks like no tomorrow. Chose this because chromates, and epoxy chromates will attack the magnesium in time and paint will fall off in sheets. Been on a year now and looks like the day they were painted. By the way, they make some neet high heat stuff too. Seems to be a pretty good specialty product. P.O.R. means paint over rust.
Ron

Back