• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Scott Crossfield Honored With Engen Trophy

Grant

FRIEND
At Work.....
FAA's Blakey: "The History Books Are Where You'll Find Scott"
Editor's Note: FAA Administrator Marion Blakey was present Tuesday as Susan Crossfield, the daughter of accomplished test pilot Scott Crossfield, accepted the Aero Club of Washington's Donald D. Engen Trophy for Aviation Excellence in her father's honor. The aviation community lost Scott this year, the victim of an encounter with nasty weather over Georgia in April.

The unedited text of the Administrator's brief, but poignant, speech at the presentation follows below.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Debbie [McElroy]. I agree with Debbie a hundred percent. When you’re talking about a lifetime of achievement in aviation, Scott Crossfield blazed a trail where few others ever could — or did.

ScottCrossfield-1103d.jpg

The Crossfield story that sticks with me is one from Oshkosh, one of my favorite spots. Scott was approached somewhat sheepishly by a couple of Blackbird pilots. They were hoping to get an autograph, but they were a bit embarrassed to ask. What followed was a lengthy discussion of life at twice the speed of sound. But spending time with pilots, well, that’s just how Scott Crossfield was. If he wasn’t flying, he was talking about flying. The chat with those SR-71 pilots took an hour. I think about that when I see celebrities brushing by people who’ve waited hours just for a glimpse.

Scott Crossfield never jumped on a couch on national TV. He never threw a cell phone at a hotel desk clerk. Let me tell you: the history books are where you'll find Scott.

ScottCrossfield-1103b.jpg

Although known best for his extraordinary work as a test pilot, Scott described himself as an aeronautical engineer, an aerodynamicist and a designer. He was responsible for many of the operational and safety features incorporated into the X-15 and later was responsible for systems test, reliability engineering and quality assurance for the Hound Dog missile, Paraglider, Apollo Command and Service Module and Saturn V second stage. In a 1988 interview, he said, "My flying was only primarily because I felt it was essential to designing and building better airplanes for pilots to fly."

A pilot’s pilot, he was always looking at the sky. No stunt double for him. In one of the great debates made for a Saturday at the FBO, Scott Crossfield’s got to be on that list of the best who ever did it. I tell you this right now: He’s on my list.

Let me say that through it all, Scott Crossfield was a gentleman. He never lost touch with the thrill of lift off. He never lost touch with the people for whom top speed came in a Piper Cub.

Crossfield-Scott-Oshkosh-2005-0406a.jpg

We’re here today to salute a life well lived -- an unparalleled career -- and the memory of one of the best that ever was. Susan [Crossfield], you should be rightly proud of your father. I know we all are.

Back