Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preheating on a budget

Post Thanks / Like

Preheating on a budget

“We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Skagwaypilot built one of these a few years ago, and I copied his. You can put a Christmas light timer on it the night before, and set it to come on a couple of hours before ETD. Oil temp is just coming off the peg on a cold morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric

Hows the ice over that way ? Got an ice auger needin' a good workout. I'm hoping by this weekend it'll plenty thick and I'll get a chance to do some hard water fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

The ice fishing in KC is the look for the ice in your glass type. 82 degrees yesterday...

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Upper Red has 6" and they are fishing now.

By the weekend I am thinking it will be pretty solid around these parts for foot traffic.

Make sure you keep us posted on the Bell Lake flyin date. Rumor has it by the 15th of Dec this year.

I got your fuel next time we meet up.

Eric

“We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

Post Thanks / Like
    David, Not thick enough to walk on Black Duck as of this morning unless you are braver then me. About 1 1/2" or so. Are you getting the freezing rain yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Vermilion was completely frozen a week ago Sunday. The big water bays opened up on Thursday (turkey day) and are still open tonight. It will be a while before I would venture on to the big water around here. Even the small bays only have about 2 inches. Spearing opens Wednesday, so I might have to venture out with the portable on Saturday and try to harpoon a few northerns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steve
    David,

The ice fishing in KC is the look for the ice in your glass type. 82 degrees yesterday...

sj
    My kinda fishing!! Course bonfire is a necessity.

But what are you doing putting ice in your beer ??
    AFNB

Post Thanks / Like
    As to pre-heating on a budget, a friend who keeps his Champ(which is for sale BTW) here from time to time uses one of those little ceramic heaters right under the cowl. Lets me know to plug it in the night before. Think it only cost him 'bout $30. I'll post a pic of it when I get a chance.

Eric,
    Pretty sure Bell Lake will be the weekend of the 9th-10th. When I get confirmation I'll let you know !

Was hoping for a little more ice than just 6" ! Was thinking of heading to Bowstring for crappies, but it may have to wait a week or so.

Paul,

No freezing rain here, but it is pouring out there. Temp is 34 degrees this a.m. Spear house is ready to go when the ice gets a little thicker . Any tine you guys want to use it just let me know. Fly up any time.

sj,
    Enjoy those nice temps while you can, sounds like Torch is sending down some of that cold stuff they are getting . Heard rumor the high's in your neck of the praire will only be in the low 30's this weekend !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    David How do you keep you engine warm while you spend the day ice fishing?Any tricks to share?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerry,

I carry two peices of 1.5" foam that friction fit into the holes in the nosebowl and then put my insulated engine cover that mom made over the cowl. It'll stay warm all day. Biggest advise would be to make sure it is the 1st thing you do when you get to where your going in order to conserve as much heat as possible.

When I'm at the cabin in Canada I usually use the 1000 watt generator and simply plug it in. If I dont have the genie I use my single burner coleman and small piece of stove pipe. Dont leave it unattended when pre-heating this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

What material did she to make the covers with? How about a picture?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use one of the little Tanis 'interior pre heaters" inside the engine cowling for overnight heating. Last year the heaters were $225.00 but I see now they've bumped them up to $375.00. Tanis might have found that they were competing with their more expensive hard wired systems.

I like being able to remove it and stuff it in the bag with my engine cover and not have all the cords, wires and weight involved in a permenent installation when summer flying.

Last Saturday it was -10 below when I went out to pre-flight. I put my hand inside the engine cover and it felt like it was 70 to 80 degrees inside the cowling, the engine was warm to the touch. This heater is triple protected and only draws 500 watts. I used it during Iditarod last year and it worked great.

Take care.

Crash

http://www.tanisaircraft.com/accesso...ml#CABINHEATER

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, I am envious of you guys. That is my favorite type of fishing....spearing. Haven't been able to do it in many years due to the significant other being in the Army. Seems like we have been stationed in warm areas most of the time she has been in. Have been trying to get stationed in Alaska her whole career. Plus when I was in I also tried for Alaska. But of course the military in their invinite wisdom, sent me to the Special Ops base in Florida.

I was hoping to get some ski flying in before I left MN on Sunday but "no joy". But while I was there my brother and I discussed taking a pontoon and mounting a fish house on it so we could spear. Think that would work? LOL

Keith

Bored in Hawaii.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the cowl plugs I use to help retain heat while pre-heating or while fishing for the day. 1.5" foam cut to fit the opening.

Post Thanks / Like

And here's the engine cover my mom made for me. Material was waste cut offs from a local place that makes jackets for Arctic Cat. Quilted material with a nylon outer shell. Light wieght, stuffs down small, works great. Thanks mom !!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use two one hundred watt bulbs inside the cowl and keep a
    very large furniture pad (quilted) wrapped around the exterior
    cowl and covering just aft of the prop and the air inlets back aft
    to the wind screen. . Keeps the engine warm to touch and that's
    with and overnight temp of 10 to 15F. Five miles from the Atlantic
    ---the damp cold goes through you like a knife. The plane is in an unheated T hangar.
    Works great and costs nothing.
    Marine Corps Aviation since 1966

Post Thanks / Like
    Like us humans...The airsheen's powerplant responds to the cold in the same way. No...NOT

The amount of warmth remaining inside is just a function of a combination of the ambient temp, the wind, and the "clothing".

At forty below in no wind, but with a quality engine cover applied within a minute of shutdown, and even withOUT the foam plugs......you can come back in three hours an' she's still loose as a goose.

Raise the temp to minus ten but kick in a 20 to 25 knot wind and you'll cool the engine to the same degree in HALF the time with the same cover applied.

And whoever brought up the plugs was right too! In combination with the blanket they may well increase the "useful starting time" (for lack of a better term) by ten per cent or so. But the overWHELMing portion of that useful time is determined by HOW quickly after shutdown (DON'T forget to turn OFF the mags!!) you get the blanket on and snugged, particulary in a windy situation.

CloudDancer

Post Thanks / Like
    This was standard equipment back in the day. Put it inside the cowling put the engine blanket on, would burn 12-15 hours on 1/2 gallon white gas. Put it under at night and in the morning you would have 110* oil temp after typical winter night. 75* after a night of -30*F. They glow cherry red, but you can dump gas directly on them and it will not flame.

Rock

Post Thanks / Like
    Rock,

Been looking for one of thoes that size, know of any available??

If putting in cowl plugs, put some kind of flag so you don't forget them

I have used home made engine covers, blankets, sleeping bags and ones from AK wingcovers. Buy a good one for less than $300, you will be happy.

I through the rear seat cusions out, (they have cusions in the rear?) and make passengers sit on the cover. The find it nice to block out the ventilation draft that misses the front seat. Cant cure it for good, would be way to warm in the summer.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rock What is that heater and where do you get one?

Post Thanks / Like
    On a budget...........

with power:

a $5.00 hair dryer from wall mart 1200-1500 watt. It has a single UL overheat gizmo in the throat. Don't trust the gizmo? put your glove over the inlet while running to verify it shuts off. Oh and because its's a Cub you can't use anything without modification, loop a piece of safety wire through the front grill to help with optimum position. an hour +-

without power:

MSR+stovepipe+pacing in front of the cowling to stay warm.

your results will vary, everything has a risk

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerry,
    It is a Wamo catalytic heater. Unfortunately, they have not built them for 30+ years. No moving parts, just a fuel tank, wick and a catalytic head.
    Coleman built larger ones up until a few years ago,but they discontinued them because of lawsuits stemming from there use by brain deficient individuals that couldn't grasp the concept of CO emissions in a confined space ( tents, etc. ) resulting in the deaths of several people.
    AK Tango,
    I don't know of anyplace that you can pick one up, but I would scope EBAY and garage sales and the like. When I get ready to chuck in the towel, I'll give you mine.
    Rock

Post Thanks / Like
    Good post.

One thing to consider if you use this method....

When you are late and decide to use the Torpedo heater to heat the plane....

Just make sure you keep in mind that you control cables have plastic sleeves inside of them.... Dont ask me how I know this

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Coleman still (or again) makes catalytic heaters. Check this out:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...ategoryID=3000

Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a brand new, in the box, Wamo catalytic heater on Ebay last winter. The ad said the guy was cleaning out his parents attic for an estate sale and found it. I was bidding against some collector I guess since the price went over $100.00, but I got it. It's a nice little heater that will actually run 24 hours on a tank full.

I also picked up a Coleman Survival Cat heater that also works great and is still availible. It runs off 16 oz propane bottles and will run 26 hours on a bottle. It's a no muss, no fuss, overnight unit that is complete in a zip up case. Just light it, put your engine cover on and forget it.

I fired up both units and dumped a cap full of Coleman stove fuel on the mantles while they were burning wide open. Nothing but a little white smoke as the gas evaporated.

Here is a link to it.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=3000

Take care! Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash,
    Where in the engine compartment do you put it, in the rear behind the baffles, there are alot of wires, mag leads, etc.... Will it work on its side under the sump, next to the airbox? I guess at 800btu's maybe it's not that hot to cause any damage.

Thanks Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Minnesota Ice fishing

Hey all you Minnesota guys, where is the best perch fishing lake?

Post Thanks / Like
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.lakewinnie.net/html/about.html

Ice Fishing-Perch Strategies On Lake Winnie - Article by Jeff Sundin
    Lake Winnibigoshish; known as "Big Winnie", located in North Central Minnesota’s Chippewa National Forest has become famous among Perch anglers throughout the Midwest. This resilient lake provides reliable action and a better than average chance at true "Jumbos". Consistent Perch angling can be found easily by following a few simple principles that should help you take advantage of the main seasonal patterns and basic habits of the fish.

Simplicity is one reason that Perch fishing has become so popular. Most of the baits are equally well suited for shallow or deep water and will catch fish in a number of situations. It is unlikely that you’ll find a situation where only one bait produces. In fact most often, a group of anglers that are all fishing with different baits will all be catching some fish. There are times though when one will out produce another and it is a good idea to try different approaches.

Presentations vary, although jigging blade/spoon type baits like The Swedish Pimple or one of the countless imitations, account for catching a lot of these fish. This type of jigging bait is best when fish are aggressive. The most common approach is to tip the hook with the head or other small portion of a minnow. Lift and drop the bait every few seconds with plenty of pauses to allow the fish time to strike. Swimming jigs and many of the "Perch Eye" imitations are a great way to present live-whole minnows hooked in the tail. One of my favorites is a small 1/16-oz jig that is about the actual size and shape of a Perch eye. This works better when the fish are less aggressive or when more "pause time" is required. Perch will sometimes react better to these baits when they are gently moved or even laid completely still instead of the traditional jigging approach. Many of my friends use the same ball type jig head that you would normally use for Walleye fishing in the summer. A whole minnow hooked through either the mouth or tail can be jigged or fished slowly or even laid on the bottom. This is a simple, proven and consistent approach that should never be overlooked. Color choices vary, but I think it pays to use any combination of colors that resemble either of their two main food sources Crawfish or Small Perch Minnows. Combinations that include "glow in the dark paint" are particularly effective.

First ice and early season is a bonanza for those who get out on the large, shallow flats and shoreline breaks. Large schools of mixed size fish roam the flats searching for minnows and can be really aggressive. One of the great advantages of this early season shallow pattern is that fish can be easily released and you can pick out some of the better fish without doing damage to the rest of the school. Locating schools of fish feeding on minnows is a matter of moving along the breakline and checking for active fish. Be sure to check the flat areas on both the deep and shallow sides of the break. Most often the best fish will be active very soon after you start fishing a hole. After you’ve fished a spot for a while, fishing will either taper off, or the size of fish you’re catching will decline.
    This is the time to move on, you can always come back and check some of these areas later in the day, after the fish re-group. But to locate premium areas you need to keep moving.

Mid season Perch are easier to locate out near the main lake bars and humps. A handheld GPS, A simple GPS Lakemap and a Flasher will really pay off out here. Fishing these structures, it’s best to check for fish on top of the bar and then check again out on the deeper flats. Many times these fish are relating to the structure, but hold out on the flat in water 30 to 35 feet deep. Watch your flasher over the deeper areas closely for schools of minnows. If your flasher dial doesn’t light up with bait occasionally, plan to move on at the first sign of slowing action. Another key main lake pattern is the soft bottom areas on the edges of these bars and humps. Larvae in the "mud" will attract groups of fish and baitfish. You’ll find Perch feeding on these larvae with mud sticking to the roofs of their mouths. The larvae won’t leave the area like minnows will, so the presence of this food source will hold fish over longer periods of time.

Late season action heats up on the shallower flats as the fish begin to move into spring feeding and spawning areas. Water depths are typically 10 to 20 feet and weed beds, sand grass or clam beds begin holding groups of fish. Like the mid season pattern, the presence of larvae on the soft bottom flats continues to be an important food source and will hold large schools of Perch in an area for days at a time. Moving to locate the fish is still important, but spring fish tend to stay in an area longer and you can usually find a spot to call home for the day.

It’s easy enough to get out there too. With help from the area bait shops and resorts, you can find plowed roads leading to good fishing areas, plenty of bait, tackle and advice, even fish house rentals. Most anyone can find enough fish to make a great weekend getaway and find a cure for "cabin Fever".

Post Thanks / Like

preheat on a budget

Back to these catalytic heaters, does anyone know what the formula is to convert BTU's to Watts? Seems to me they're both units of energy (heat) so there must be some way to corelate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Watts X 3.413 = BTU/Hr.

Post Thanks / Like
    My budget pre heater for my C170B is a $40 1500w space heater, $10 stool and $20 blanket. Very portable but does need electricity.

http://www.popularaviation.com/PhotoGallery/4522.JPG

Bill
    Flat Country Pilot
    Farm Field PVT
    54 C170B

Post Thanks / Like

Budget preheater

Thanks T.J.

Post Thanks / Like
    1 Watt=3.41008 Btu(mean)/hr

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash

Thanks for taking the time to post that info.

Good Stuff

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash,

Good photos. Have you been able to keep that Whamo catalytic lit in big winds, without it being completely covered, or do you put the whole works in a bucket to protect it?

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I gotta jump in here with a testimonial. I have used the Little Buddy electric heaters for years to heat my engine, interior, etc. I was on my way to the airport on a -10 or so day, and ran into a pilot friend. He said "If you're going to the airport, would you plug in my plane--it's parked by XXXXX Aviation on the east ramp, and it has a Little Buddy heater in the cowling." I said sure.

I found his plane, parked near a big light pole, and an extension cord hung on the struts as promised. I plugged in the cord (heater was already in the engine compt.) and dutifully listened to make certain the fan started and ran (these little heaters when really cold may not start the fan, and they will overheat). Everything okay there. I went flying.

Two days later, I ran into my friend. He, laughing, said "Hey, thanks for trying to burn down my plane the other day" I said, WHAT???

He said "You plugged my heater into a 220 outlet." I replied that 220 outlets are a different plug. He was really laughing by then. Turns out the proprieter of that business thought he'd save a buck or two on an electrician and wired up his own outside plug ins. WHere he found wire pairs, he wired in a 110 outlet. Didn't bother to test voltage. He'd wired that lamp post pair, which were 220 to a 110 plug, and that Little Buddy Heater had been cooking away for three hours by the time the owner got there.

He said that little heater sounded like it was going to launch into orbit, and it was hotter than the hinges, but it was still working just fine. Said he had over 100 degree engine temps from the git go.

I've been a big fan of those Little Buddies since.

MTV